• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

South Caicos, some flight and general question

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never ventured to Turks & Caicos, let alone south Caicos, and am considering to go there in early January, with my wife and 2 kids, and wonder if your folks can shed some light on several things:

(1) how is Turks & Caicos like, compared to other Caribbean destination, like Aruba or Cancun? Is it generally safe and easy, and good for teenagers as well?

(2) South Caicos would need a connection flight thru InterCarribean? Is the airline generally considered safe and reliable? Seems Expedia doesn't even sell tickets for them and I'd have to go to their web site to buy directly? Again, feel a little uneasy as I never use that airline before?

(3) Is it easy to call taxi from South Caicos airport to the resort: considering East Bay resort. Anyone has been there? seems it is relatively new resort?

Thanks so much in advance.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
https://www.visittci.com/south-caicos-airport-xsc

It is a very small airport.

I have been to an even more rustic airport, that was basically a thatched roof hut, no walls, no doors, no gates. Domestic flight to a smaller island Tikehau in French Polynesia. At small airports you have no choices on air often, and few choices on accommodations.

NOTE January the water will be cooler, you are in the Atlantic NOT in the Caribbean. Warmest sea in Turks and Caicos Islands in January was 26°C/79°F, and the coldest 24°C/75°F.

The resorts can arrange a transfer for you. There are generally NOT taxis waiting.

There is also a ferry option from Provo, but I do not know the details.

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.visittci.com/south-caicos-airport-xsc

It is a very small airport.

I have been to an even more rustic airport, that was basically a thatched roof hut, no walls, no doors, no gates. Domestic flight to a smaller island Tikehau in French Polynesia. At small airports you have no choices on air often, and few choices on accommodations.

NOTE January the water will be cooler, you are in the Atlantic NOT in the Caribbean. Warmest sea in Turks and Caicos Islands in January was 26°C/79°F, and the coldest 24°C/75°F.

The resorts can arrange a transfer for you. There are generally NOT taxis waiting.

There is also a ferry option from Provo, but I do not know the details.

Thanks, and good to to see some personal experience that one wouldn't usually find in the guide book.

I did find out the ferry from the site you gave, but seems the flight is more convenient, as no worry about the trip to the harbor.

Still undecided if I shall get on this adventure especially it is a family vacation... Interval has some weeks available for the resort during Christmas...

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been to South Caicos, but I am considering it. I have been to Provo, Grand Turk, North Caicos, and Middle Caicos, also Aruba and several other Caribbean islands. Provo is closer to the “typical tourist resort” area. Hotels, restaurants, activities, taxis, rental cars, etc. similar to Aruba. I felt comfortable on Provo but found on Aruba I had to be more alert to my surroundings. There was one incident when we were touring along the coast, a young guy came up to us and said his car broke down and his wife and child were in it. Could we take him back to them (it was in a deserted area). He was very nervous. We offered to call for help but he dismissed that and moved on to the next tourists.

We enjoyed North and Middle Caicos, but they are not typical tourist areas. And I expect South Caicos is similar. Lots of long deserted beaches to walk. Few restaurants and planned activities. Your on “island time”, everything was laid back.

We flew to Grand Turk. You can check with the airline to see what the planes are like. We took the ferry to North Caicos. It’s small, no cars, and the main means of transportation for the locals to get between islands.

We noticed when looking into East Bay Resort that they have an offer of a free flight Provo to South Caicos. As previously mentioned, you should get in touch with the resort for more information. Do research so you know what the island is like. Exploring the island via Google Earth may give you a good feel for the terrain.

We like spending a few days in the less tourist populated islands and then end the trip with a few days on Provo before heading home.

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been to South Caicos, but I am considering it. I have been to Provo, Grand Turk, North Caicos, and Middle Caicos, also Aruba and several other Caribbean islands. Provo is closer to the “typical tourist resort” area. Hotels, restaurants, activities, taxis, rental cars, etc. similar to Aruba. I felt comfortable on Provo but found on Aruba I had to be more alert to my surroundings. There was one incident when we were touring along the coast, a young guy came up to us and said his car broke down and his wife and child were in it. Could we take him back to them (it was in a deserted area). He was very nervous. We offered to call for help but he dismissed that and moved on to the next tourists.

We enjoyed North and Middle Caicos, but they are not typical tourist areas. And I expect South Caicos is similar. Lots of long deserted beaches to walk. Few restaurants and planned activities. Your on “island time”, everything was laid back.

We flew to Grand Turk. You can check with the airline to see what the planes are like. We took the ferry to North Caicos. It’s small, no cars, and the main means of transportation for the locals to get between islands.

We noticed when looking into East Bay Resort that they have an offer of a free flight Provo to South Caicos. As previously mentioned, you should get in touch with the resort for more information. Do research so you know what the island is like. Exploring the island via Google Earth may give you a good feel for the terrain.

We like spending a few days in the less tourist populated islands and then end the trip with a few days on Provo before heading home.

This personal experience and suggestion help a lot as well. Now I have a good feel of what it is like there. So many good places to explore. Thanks a lot.