TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest flying to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by klpca, Oct 11, 2017.

1. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I've had the SWA companion pass for the past few years. It's amazing. We can fly both of us to LA from Oakland for $49 + 5.60 tax. That's cheaper and faster than driving and enables us to take frequent weekend getaways to visit family.

Luanne likes this.
  2. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    I will stick with my Alaska with Companion Fare and 1 free checked bag.

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  3. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I have used Alaska companion fare to Hawaii also. They enable you to change up to 60 days prior with no change fees which works as well. With Alaska/Virgin and Southwest offering better flexibility, more legroom, and free bags, I don't know how the big 3 will compete for California based travelers.

Bring on the fare war!

silentg and klpca like this.
  4. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    From the East Coast to Hawaii ... BRING YOUR OWN FOOD .. for me, it will be the 4 full length Hoagies plus 2 full box of chocolate Tasty Cakes .. as I plan on trading the 1/2 of the Tasty Cakes and Hoagies for free drinks. Southwest does not have food other than peanuts or chips on its flights.

5. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The advantage with the Alaska Companion Fare (at least the one I get by having an Alaska Airlines credit card) is that I get one each year regardless of how many flights I've taken during the year. The down side is that I have to pay for one flight in order to use the Companion Fare. Also, we get one free bag, as opposed to the two free bags with Southwest. But I probably won't make enough Southwest flights to get their companion pass. I don't get it even with the Southwest credit card I have.

6. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    From the east coast there will be at least one layover, if not two. Those who can fly direct to perhaps Oakland can fly with one stop, but if you have two stops to the west coast, it will take at least two. Currently Southwest flies from Baltimore to Oakland. That may make a single stop flight, but even Southwests new planes don't have the range to fly from any further than a west coast airport to Hawaii. It is the range of their new 737s that is opening up this new route.

vacationhopeful likes this.
  7. Luanne

The other airlines don't have food either, unless you purchase it onboard, or you're flying First Class. We always take our own food on.

8. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    Great news! I was hoping SW would start service by Q4 next year. I was surprised by the idea of the inter-island flights, but like it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    There was a Beverly Hillbillies episode in which the Clampetts took their first airplane ride.
    They thought it'd be like a bus ride and they'd need to bring their own food. What?
    ... Apparently, they were ahead of their times.

klpca likes this.
  10. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    Hawaiian Airlines is an exception to the common rule about food and they DO offer a free in-flight meal.
    BUT there's no choice about the meal - take it or leave it. No vegetarian option, no option for allergies or celiac etc.
    So even on Hawaiian I would bring food, and absolutely I would bring food for SW or other airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, Pines,
    Fishermen's Village
    We flew Alaska Airlines to Seattle from Orlando then to Honolulu. We stayed in Seattle one day each way. We took Island Air from Honolulu to Maui then we flew back to Seattle and back to Orlando on Alaska the next day. I would be interested to see if Southwest will fly to Seattle non stop from Orlando then Seattle to Hawaii non stop. It will be a few years before we go back to Hawaii but it’s good to have options.
    Silentg

12. Luanne

Currently it doesn't look like SW has a nonstop flight from Orlando to Seattle. They have some direct, which has a stop but you don't change planes. I would doubt (but could be wrong) they will change those options. I think when they open up flights to Hawaii it will be from the west coast, most likely Oakland, but won't do anything to change their routes from the east to the west.

13. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Orlando to San Diego is an option.

silentg likes this.
  14. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

You brought coffee TO Hawaii? I always bring coffee home FROM Hawaii.

I live near EWR, Newark, NJ, and I am stuck with UA. I used to have a high elite status (1K) but now I am a puny silver elite. I never get upgraded, nor do I expect to.

When I fly to HI I take UA but I go First Class using miles. I could not stand those horrible coach seats for 11 hours. I'd be a cripple when I got off the plane.

My son and his family are going in July, 2018. For their collective birthday and Christmas presents (only my son, daughter in law and granddaughter) I gave them 270,00 UA miles to fly first class from Buffalo to Maui. They liked that. Who wouldn't? Of course they are staying at the Marriott in Maui and then again on the Big Island. It helps to have a mom, mom in law, and grammy who owns a lot of timeshares. I want this trip to be the trip of their dreams.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    silentg likes this.
  15. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Kona is one of my favorite coffees. But there could be a reason to import it.

Currently, I'm into Jamaican Blue Mountain, which strangely enuff, costs more there than at my Fresh Market in Florida. So, the next time I go to Jamaica, I might bring some with me. ;)

16. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    Remember a bag of coffee or coffee beans only has to be 10% Kona Beans to be called Kona Coffee. You have to search to find 100% Kona. Kauai Coffee Company Coffee is always 100% Kauai Coffee. Maui also,grows some great coffee.

silentg likes this.
  17. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

It sounds like a "dream" trip to me! That's a very awesome "collective" gift!
    :thumbup:

silentg and klpca like this.
  18. donnaval

donnaval TUG Member

LOL - when we were in Jamaica earlier this year, we went shopping to buy coffee for my brother. We were shocked at the price; went back to the room and checked Amazon and ordered the same exact coffee delivered through Prime for 1/2 the price they were asking in Jamaica. It was waiting on our porch when we got home and we took it to my brother.