• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Is Testing Out a Speedier Boarding and Deplaning Process

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Southwest is Testing Out a Speedier Boarding and Deplaning Process
By Emily McNutt/ News/ The Points Guy/ thepointsguy.com

"Southwest Airlines is reimagining what boarding could look like on its flights in the future. The airline, which is known for its standard three-group, No. 1 to No. 60 boarding procedure, is looking to speed up the process.

As detailed on its website, Southwest is opening up another option for both boarding and deplaning at select airports. So, what’s different about the new process? Well, not all too much is changing with the letter and number you’ll see on your boarding pass, which varies based on what kind of fare you buy and when you check-in. However, Southwest says that it’s opening two doors to the aircraft instead of one — you’ll have the choice to board or deplane out of the front or the rear door....."

Screen-Shot-2018-11-07-at-10.26.59-AM.png

Richard

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wonder how many airports will be able to accommodate this? Also, I can't imagine boarding and deplaning through the rear in bad weather would be all that appealing.

United is also touting a "new" boarding process to speed things up. Uh huh. Instead of having signs for boarding groups 1 through 5 they now only have signs for 1 and 2. However, they still have all boarding groups, but 2 - 5 board through the 2 entrance, but still by number. I can't see what exactly this did to improve anything.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Denver could accommodate, but it will probably be the bigger planes for the two jetways. They are preparing for those Hawaii flights out of CA. I hope they give Alaska some competition, since Alaska keeps whining about low profits due to award seats.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I hate the flights I get on small aircraft with boarding/deplaning via stairs (United in Dulles, some American flights in Charlotte) but this is actually a pretty brilliant idea. I could see my young adult children racing up the stairs to get the best seat possible. Knowing how well Southwest usually does things, they will probably use ramps or the portable stairs to make it more pleasant. And they specifically mention that pre-boards will continue to use the jet bridge. Once the plane is half full, boarding slows to a crawl. That won't change, probably, but they'll get to that point quicker and be coming from two directions when it happens.

Sheila

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
I had this process happen on a flight from San Jose CA several weeks ago. Problem I saw was that people who boarded from the back were going against the flow of people coming from the front and trying to get seats near the front of the plane instead of getting a seat in the middle or back. I didn't see that it was any quicker or more convenient.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Possibly the most idiotic idea I’ve heard in awhile.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I flew Virgin Australia they did this. They had two advantages:

1) iirc they pre-assign seats, so could direct those sitting in the back to use the back stairs

2) snow and cold are not a serious issue for most of their network

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Even more brilliant...line you up like cattle in rows...wait someone already does that LOL. If you BUY your seat, with carry on luggage rights (remember most now charge you for this luxury) then do you also have the rights to the overhead above your seat assignment? If this was enforced, then whats the rush getting on the plane...last I checked the back laves about the same time as the front. The idea of using rear door, much like is done in the Caribbean, not sure it will work with security and immigration (unloading) in the USA. That would call for more security personnel to corral you to the correct door.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hawaiian does this at some airports, but I think they used two jet ways. I don't remember exactly.