• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest still mum on Hawaii schedule

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Gah...still not sure if I should keep holding out for late June flights. We have a SWA companion pass and a bunch of points, so it really would be great for us if they started flying by then. I hate this waiting game! I might think about getting to the west coast from here in New England on SWA and then another carrier from there...I'll have to do some poking around and see if that would make a big difference in the cost or not.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I gave up on waiting and booked my flights for HI in February/March next year. Now, I am very glad that I did.

I just booked my return flight from Maui with Hawaiian Airlines yesterday. I booked our flight out to Honolulu and after our stay in Honolulu to Maui months months ago, but I was waiting for the required miles to come down before I booked the return flight. Even though we need to take the 1/2 hour flight from Maui to Honolulu first, you can't beat the free direct flight from Honolulu to JFK

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Even though we need to take the 1/2 hour flight from Maui to Honolulu first, you can't beat the free direct flight from Honolulu to JFK

We are doing something similar but we have a direct flight to Atlanta from Honolulu starting with the hop from Maui to Honolulu first. I did have to pay for that flight, but I was able to use points to and also for the inter island flights. I discovered how to book the inter island flights using points on AA via TUG (thank you TUG members)

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gah...still not sure if I should keep holding out for late June flights. We have a SWA companion pass and a bunch of points, so it really would be great for us if they started flying by then. I hate this waiting game! I might think about getting to the west coast from here in New England on SWA and then another carrier from there...I'll have to do some poking around and see if that would make a big difference in the cost or not.
If you want to fly in June, I suggest you get yourself an Alaska Airlines VISA card and nail down that companion fare right away.

Then you can book yourself and a companion a flight from Logan to any of the islands. You pay the ticketed fare, and your companion flies for ~$110 extra, round trip. You can book preferred seating (anything but first class), and the companion fare is the same ~$110.

Moreover, you will probably have only two direct flights each direction. One from Logan to a west coast portal (likely Seattle), and then Seattle to your destination island. Same thing on the return.

If you don't want to use the companion fare feature long term, then use the card for this trip, and then cancel.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I don't know about SWA companion passes, however, some airline travel perks are not be good for flights outside the Continental US. I concur with your thinking about flying to the West Coast from Ne England on SWA and then another carrier from there. I don't know how it works with flights from New England but I know from Long Island I can't get non-stop to the West Coast. I need to stop at least once before a flight out West.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know about SWA companion passes, however, some airline travel perks are not be good for flights outside the Continental US. I concur with your thinking about flying to the West Coast from Ne England on SWA and then another carrier from there. I don't know how it works with flights from New England but I know from Long Island I can't get non-stop to the West Coast. I need to stop at least once before a flight out West.
One problem with that approach is that you wind up flying on two itineraries. And if there is a problem with flights, you can get left hanging. So let's say that you are flying to a west coast portal on a Friday, with an early afternoon arrival. Maybe you have two to three hours layover before you catch a connecting flight to, on your other ticket.

But then there's a problem on your outbound flight. Mechanical problems, bad weather, whatever, and suddenly you can't make the connecting that flight. If you're booked on two itineraries you're screwed. Your first carrier guarantees you transportation to the connecting location, and that's all. They will rebook you to that location in accordance with their policies - and if that means you can't make the connecting flight means nothing to them. Meanwhile, the connecting airline will simply treat you as a No-show, and may cancel your ticket, including the return flight.

If you book transportation to Hawaii as one itinerary, if there is a problem on the first flight, the airline is still obligated to get you to your final destination. The only time I break up an itinerary is if I'm going to have at least a day on the ground in the stopover location.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
One problem with that approach is that you wind up flying on two itineraries. And if there is a problem with flights, you can get left hanging. So let's say that you are flying to a west coast portal on a Friday, with an early afternoon arrival. Maybe you have two to three hours layover before you catch a connecting flight to, on your other ticket.

But then there's a problem on your outbound flight. Mechanical problems, bad weather, whatever, and suddenly you can't make the connecting that flight. If you're booked on two itineraries you're screwed. Your first carrier guarantees you transportation to the connecting location, and that's all. They will rebook you to that location in accordance with their policies - and if that means you can't make the connecting flight means nothing to them. Meanwhile, the connecting airline will simply treat you as a No-show, and may cancel your ticket, including the return flight.

If you book transportation to Hawaii as one itinerary, if there is a problem on the first flight, the airline is still obligated to get you to your final destination. The only time I break up an itinerary is if I'm going to have at least a day on the ground in the stopover location.
We do this, but break the trip up by a few days. We fly SW from home to the San Francisco Bah Area, spend a couple of nights in San Francisco, then fly on to Hawaii on another airline. It's two roundtrip flights.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... I've seen many threads on these boards about Southwest Airlines (WN) going, or planning to go to Hawaii. Question is Why are so many people here so gung-ho about this? What's wrong with the other airlines that go there from continental USA and Canada? There are plenty that do so so there is a reasonable amount of competition.

I'm not slagging WN. I'm just wondering why so many are anticipating/hoping and all excited about the prospect of WN flying to Hawaii.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Many of us have the SW companion pass. Also, it’s expected to cause a price war to Hawaii with SW in that market. Airlines already flying there have decreased their prices in anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just out of curiosity... I've seen many threads on these boards about Southwest Airlines (WN) going, or planning to go to Hawaii. Question is Why are so many people here so gung-ho about this? What's wrong with the other airlines that go there from continental USA and Canada? There are plenty that do so so there is a reasonable amount of competition.

I'm not slagging WN. I'm just wondering why so many are anticipating/hoping and all excited about the prospect of WN flying to Hawaii.
One reason is that SW has better leg room than most other airlines without having to purchase premium seating. Plus no luggage fees, no change / cancellation fees.

Kurt

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about SWA companion passes, however, some airline travel perks are not be good for flights outside the Continental US...

I've used the companion pass several times to fly with my husband to the Caribbean and Mexico, so I can't imagine it not working for flights to Hawaii. Southwest makes it SO easy to book those companion flights. I've got a million frequent flyer miles with American, and can't ever get decent flights with points.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One reason is that SW has better leg room than most other airlines without having to purchase premium seating. Plus no luggage fees, no change / cancellation fees.

Kurt
The no luggage and no change fees are the benefits that I like the most. We travel with 2 checked bags each so on Hawaiian Airlines that is $140 more each way. The no change fees are also great. We have changed our Southwest flights for a number of reasons: Bag whether that MAY cause delays, better rates for the same or different flight on the same day, extended stay on trips, changing the destination on trips. With change fees running $150-$200 each ticket that is $300-$400 saved.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Here's the latest update from The Points Guy:

1. Southwest has received approval from the FAA for their ETOPS plan, a crucial step in the approval process.
  2. The airline still must complete validation flights before the final ETOPS approval is given.
  3. According to the Chicago Business Times, sources say that the earliest that service could begin is March or April.
Here's a link to the full article.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Is the limited kitchen worse than the Maui Ocean Club? We do like to eat a lot of our own meals so maybe the risk of a Waiohai parking lot view would be worth it.

Woo hoo...getting close!!! I'm very optimistic about our late June travel reading this!
https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-update/

It would be nice.im making plans for March of 2020 and would like to return to Hawaii but, from our location, flying is cost prohibitive. I’d love to get an idea pricing from SWA before I start reserving units.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Another article here, with more analysis on the timing and the potential to miss the March timeframe: https://simpleflying.com/southwest-march-hawaii-flights/

Thanks for sharing. I especially like the comment that they may eventually add a route from Las Vegas. Otherwise we would have to fly to one of the CA cities first. We won’t hold our breath for it to happen, but will be happy if it does happen.

Best regards.

Mike

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We are hoping for Phoenix. I hope it’s worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk