• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Special Assessments

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
I checked the link to the database of historical MFs and see that St. John and Vistana seem to have the most occurences of special assessments. I am assuming this is primarily driven by either hurricane damage or improvements? I didn't see any for Vistana Villages - Bella so is it safe to assume that one would be on the horizon?

http://www.eternaltides.com/SVN/SVNQuery.aspx

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Special Assesments are very unpopular, and Starwood/Vistana has had some owner revolts due to SA's in the past, so rather than special assessments, I would expect to see an increase in maintenance fees, for future renovations.

When SDO did renovations a couple of years ago, they raised the maintenance fee, instead of calling it a special assessment. It may cost the same but it sounds better.

The exception may be WSJ, due to the hurricane damage. No one knows yet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There was no SA for WSJ-VGV. See the WSJ thread #1 - around 2009.

They increased the MFs to bring the Reserves up to where they should have been AND remodeled the interior and exterior of the VGV phase.

Will there be an SA after H. Irma? For VGV - the HOA had funded the Hurricane Insurance deductible- so hopefully not. Many VGV Owners couldn’t bare a SA and would likely default - causing MFs to increase - causing more to default - repeat.

I do not think that is a viable option for the BOD - hopefully...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I know it all depends, but what could we be looking at here for SA — $hundreds or $thousands? I’m sure it is a fine line from the point of view of BOD. If it’s such a high SA people walk. How would a SA work with SB Villas since it is still in active sales?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
cubigbird - There is no reason to think that there is going to be a SA at SBP, so not sure what you are referring to.

The last big SA was at Sheraton Vistana Resort and it was in the thousands. However, this generated a huge negative response from owners, so I will be surprised if we ever see that again - except in a case of unusual damages, like a hurricane.

It's far easier and less controversial for the BOD to raise the MF, than to impose a SA, so that's what I would expect to see in the future.

*A well-run resort should never have a SA, except in extraordinary circumstances like a hurricane. Under regular conditions, a special assessment means that the board has not budgeted well for renovations and refurbishments. Of course, with Starwood/Vistana, renovations are management driven, and I'm sure that major renovations at SVR and SDO would not have happed, except that Starwood insisted on it, and the board caved in to their demands.

Note that Villas of Cave Creek LEFT Starwood (fired them as management) because Starwood was demanding expensive renovations and the board refused to do it.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If he is talking about WSJ, I respectfully request that he post in the ongoing WSJ thread on this topic, rather than starting a new discussion here.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score