• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Luxury card

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Our son and daughter-in-law have the Bonvoy Amex and love it. They are staying at a Marriott on Oahu, checking out today sometime. They stayed there on the way to Maui, and now on the way back from Maui. Amazing, according to our daughter-in-law.

If that is the Marriott Waikiki, that is now a category 6 which means that when peak/non peak is instituted later this year it will become ineligible for peak stays when next 50k Anniversay Night is issued. Also affects a number of HI resorts used to extend stays such as the Maui Residence Inn.

Not sure which HI resorts will be useful for 50k peak in future other than courtyards by airport. Luxury?? Hmmm....

FYI below are a few ineligible 50k anniversary resorts during peak from devaluation last week.
  • Courtyard Waikiki Beach — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Sheraton Waikiki — moving from a category 6 to 7
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Residence Inn Maui Wailea — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection — moving from a category 6 to 7
Of course if you travel non-peak (we dont) then there is possible value. However should compare to non-peak cash rates to ensure there is > $150/night value and whether you would spend $150/night to go there if the card did not exist.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have already been disappointed at the devaluing of our points for stays at Swan and Dolphin, Epcot. 12K points for old Starwood, 50K points for Marriott. Big difference. If you knew how many points we had left, you would be :O

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our son and daughter-in-law have the Bonvoy Amex and love it. They are staying at a Marriott on Oahu, checking out today sometime. They stayed there on the way to Maui, and now on the way back from Maui. Amazing, according to our daughter-in-law.
Ko Olina is our favorite resort in the Marriott system. Oops... unless they are referring to the hotel which I know nothing about.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ko Olina is cat 6 so no peak. However I have found that MVC avail from hotel site during peak to be nonexistent.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Easy for me to use on a weekend when I check out of MKO on a Friday and do not check back in until Sunday. I can use the cert for a quick stay in waikiki. I dont think you can find any of those hotels listed in waikiki for under $150 a night at anytime of the year. Or i use the cert for a night before we check in on the mainland.

I will see how it goes with the devaluation of hotels. But cant get another card with PP access for $55 a year.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Ko Olina is cat 6 so no peak. However I have found that MVC avail from hotel site during peak to be nonexistent.

I don't understand this statement. According to the Hotel Redemption Chart, all categories will soon have a Peak Redemption. Even the 35,000 point properties where you state you will use your 35K certificate will have a peak award cost 40,000.

Robert

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
True. It also affects the 35k hotels. However we are more likely to use those off-peak during school year and get more than $95 value.

If we will need a 50k card to use the 35k during peak, That's a major devaluation of $95 hotel night to $150 to stay at a Courtyard. I would rather get the Hilton Aspire card where there are no limits and stay at the Waldorf down the street. Plus free breakfast, $250 resort and $250 SWA gift card. #Bonvoyed

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve found that there’s not always a direct correlation between cost per night and award redemption cost. I always calculate the benefit on each specific reservation to determine if using the award, points, or cash (or another program and hotel altogether) before making a reservation. That said, I’ve found several nice properties overseas which I expect to use with my credit card awards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
True. It also affects the 35k hotels. However we are more likely to use those off-peak during school year and get more than $95 value.

If we will need a 50k card to use the 35k during peak, That's a major devaluation of $95 hotel night to $150 to stay at a Courtyard. I would rather get the Hilton Aspire card where there are no limits and stay at the Waldorf down the street. Plus free breakfast, $250 resort and $250 SWA gift card. #Bonvoyed
Wife and I also have the aspire card to pay our hgvc mf and get those 14 points per maintenance dollar. With the $250 for mf and $250 to use on united it is like we profit $50 for the paying the $450 annual fee . And we get a free weekend to use at grand wailea where rates are in excess of $500 a night. We get friday, Saturday and Sunday for free as we both have aspire and I also have the hilton ascend and charge exactly $15k non maintenance fee for the free weekend night. Then from the hgvc mf and ascend spend HH points, we turn it into a week at grand wailea for almost free.

We use the Marriott points for the 5 or 7 day travel certificates with United airline miles. Use luxury card to pay for our Marriott mf.

I cannot see how the chase sapphire reserve will net me more than the amex aspire and marriott luxury card for my mf and hotel payments. United card for all flights and Costco citi for the 4% gas, 3% travel and 2% at costco. I use citi rewards for the 2% on anything else we dont get bonus on.

Any one can help me get a better earning rate than I am doing with these cards? As you can tell I try to squeeze every bonus I can out of these reward cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
The points guy just did an evaluation of cards and perks and is a great way to start. He says a lot of good things about the Aspire card too.
But I think you are doing it the right way. You are looking at your spend, your preferences and locations for travel, and what you see as value.
Some of this is based on how you live too. Some do not see any value in a free hotel night bacuse of the point level. Because of how we travel we can always use a free night somewhere, it is free. And we are not locked into prime travel seasons anymore.
Some do not value platinum vs gold (old school), but we have enjoyed our perks, do the dollars always match up to the perk, no, but it has been a lot of fun traveling that way. We use three cards for our spend now, and like many here, try to match the category to the card. I explain this to some friends and they think I am crazy, then they say, but how can you stay there? Or travel to there, or etc.
Ramble is over....

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FYI below are a few ineligible 50k anniversary resorts during peak from devaluation last week.
  • Courtyard Waikiki Beach — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Sheraton Waikiki — moving from a category 6 to 7
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Residence Inn Maui Wailea — moving from a category 5 to 6
  • Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection — moving from a category 6 to 7

Just noticed that the Westin Milan increased to cat 6 as well. I had booked a night there for later this year using one of my cc award nights, and glad I did since now it’s too expensive. Of course, this annual increase/decrease is predictable, and we have a similar discussion every year.

ETA: I had also booked five nights at the AC Hotel in Istanbul later this year for my very first category 1 redemption rate, and now it’s a cat 2 hotel.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The points guy just did an evaluation of cards and perks and is a great way to start. He says a lot of good things about the Aspire card too.
But I think you are doing it the right way. You are looking at your spend, your preferences and locations for travel, and what you see as value.
Some of this is based on how you live too. Some do not see any value in a free hotel night bacuse of the point level. Because of how we travel we can always use a free night somewhere, it is free. And we are not locked into prime travel seasons anymore.

Fully agree that YMMV and there will be value for some depending on where they want to stay.

My point is that the nights are NOT free i.e. you are pre-paying AF of $95, $125 (business), or $155 (Lux/Brilliant) for a "free" room night. The key is whether you can find a hotel with outsized value every year vs. paying cash/points or forgoing the room and pocketing the money ($95/$125/$155).

One should actually think of it as an additional annual MF for one night if there is no other monetary value gained from the other benefits. A key question is whether you would have bought this room anyway and can get a margin on the AF to market price (similar to how you would evaluate a timeshare), or whether you are you going out of your way to use a room because it is "free" and you paid the AF.

Tuggers are a savvy bunch and will analyze and maximize or they will cancel. Sadly many non-Tuggers won't and will lock themselves into an AF (aka MF) for a low value room night assuming it is "Free."

P.S. used the priority pass for a restaurant in the SWA terminal at LAX this weekend with our pass from our CSV card. Great value at $56 savings but redundant with the Lux and Aspire card PP.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
One item I forgot to include in my analysis is the value of AMEX offers on the Bonvoy SPG cards. If the card (plus authorized user's) AMEX offers savings offset the $150 AF cost significantly, it can be beneficial to keep the card. AMEX offers may provide a leg up on the value of these cards over the Chase Marriott Bonvoy cards.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have already been disappointed at the devaluing of our points for stays at Swan and Dolphin, Epcot. 12K points for old Starwood, 50K points for Marriott. Big difference. If you knew how many points we had left, you would be :O
I feel like you have to say how many now...Personally I would be surprised past 10M.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel like you have to say how many now...Personally I would be surprised past 10M.
I use my reward pointa as soon as I have enough for whatever I need them for. One thing for sure in the point rewards game is the DEVALUATION that will occur. So to me, it is best to spend rewards points, than try to save them and get hit by the eventual devaluation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Okay I need some guidance. I have the American Express SPG card, the Marriott Bonvoy Card and the old Marriott rewards card (the free one). We will be empty nesters so now I'm thinking the luxury cards would be worth it. We used the AE SPG card to get airfare on points to Hawaii every year for 17 years for 4 people. I just used up my last batch today. We have timeshares so we normally don't need hotel stays but use them occasionally. We really prefer the airmiles the most. Based on that which card would you upgrade to. A cash card or AE Platinum card? Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card? I've had over the last 17 years had a harder time using my Marriott reward points. The best value I find are the airmiles/hotel packages (which I've used twice in Europe) which was a challenge to use but with the kids out of the house I think our lifestyle could work with this. I tried to find out information on the AE Platinum rewards like how many points you need to redeem one night but I can't find much. Any advice?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay I need some guidance. I have the American Express SPG card, the Marriott Bonvoy Card and the old Marriott rewards card (the free one). We will be empty nesters so now I'm thinking the luxury cards would be worth it. We used the AE SPG card to get airfare on points to Hawaii every year for 17 years for 4 people. I just used up my last batch today. We have timeshares so we normally don't need hotel stays but use them occasionally. We really prefer the airmiles the most. Based on that which card would you upgrade to. A cash card or AE Platinum card? Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card? I've had over the last 17 years had a harder time using my Marriott reward points. The best value I find are the airmiles/hotel packages (which I've used twice in Europe) which was a challenge to use but with the kids out of the house I think our lifestyle could work with this. I tried to find out information on the AE Platinum rewards like how many points you need to redeem one night but I can't find much. Any advice?
I am rethinking use of Marriott Bonvoy (Amex and Visa) cards for airline redemption since travel packages are no longer as valuable as before. In fact I am sitting on 2 5-night hotel certificates from prior travel package redemption which I have no plans for. Straight airline miles redemption with Marriott points is of poor value. Have you looked at Venture Capital One card? I am relooking at it. I think you get 2 miles for every dollar spent and you can redeem for airline tickets directly through them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Look at the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Barclaycard Arrivals Plus cards.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone I’ll check out your suggestions...

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look at the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Barclaycard Arrivals Plus cards.

Have you used the Chase Sapphire Reserve to redeem airfare?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Have you used the Chase Sapphire Reserve to redeem airfare?

No, since I don't yet have the card. It's next on my list, and I'd like to get it soon. From everything I've read, and based on my expected future business expenses, it and the Chase Ink are on my short list. FWIW, the Ink card offers 3x points up to $150,000 on "travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, advertising on social media site and search engines each year". Ink only offers 1.25 redemption value on their travel site, but if you also have the Reserve card then all your points may be used at the 1.5 rate. Effectively, this means that $150,000 per year (assuming you have the requisite spend in those categories) you'd get 450,000 points which would be worth $6,750 on their travel site. My business social media advertising is growing rapidly so this combo is very appealing to me.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am not Ken but I have. American Airlines first class one way was around $600, used CSR Ultimate rewards to book and it cost 40K URs.

That sounds like a one-way domestic first class ticket. I would almost never buy those, and when I have they've been much less expensive (in fact, I bought AA first class LAX-ORD for a flight earlier this year and it cost $350, which at the time of purchase was a good deal compared to economy). Or was your ticket roundtrip? If so, then it was a good deal.