• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Marriott Unification

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. Sorry, I misread.

No problem - just panicked myself as I have read lots and hadn't seen that fact. Would be a huge devaluation as most redemption's for me are with the free night and we plan our trips that way to get the most value.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have 2 SPG AMEXcards (personal, business). Will I receive a free annual hotel room with both cards? or only 1 room i.e. Should I cancel one card since the bus card lounge access is revoked and I don't get another free night with that card?

FWIW...I was preparing to pull the trigger to apply for an Amex business platinum for lounge access at our local airport that we cannot get with Priority Pass, but the devaluation of the gold elite is just one more reason to hold off on paying $550 for the card.

bluesboy72

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flex
I am a 4* owner, lifetime gold but qualify for platinum 50 based on additional stays from business travel, and AMEX cardholder. If I am reading the announcement and other various blogs correctly, changes for me are: 1) pros - add ultimate reservation guarantee for gold/platinum, small improvement on points earned (25% on 10 points per dollar) for gold and big improvement for Platinum (50% on 10 points per dollar), access to more properties using points, nights at any Marriott property count toward status. 2) Cons - drop in points earned with everyday purchases on AMEX card, stays no longer count toward status (I'm always walking a fine line on nights so this prob hurts me the most; although the new 15 nights bonus might help - not sure yet), Delta crossovers gone or TBD?, reduced number of suite nights awards once Platinum (5 vs. 10), no lounge access for gold, and no guaranteed late checkout for gold. Does that seem right or am I missing any big items? Also, I am making an assumption that Vistana is going to make this as good or better with their commitment and tie-in to the new Marriott rewards program. If so, I think the overall effect for me is favorable. Yes, there are a few cons but I also see some upside, esp the way points are earned, having access to many more properties (huge for SPG folks like me who travel to smaller towns/cities where properties are limited or non-existent), and accruing nights for status at ALL properties.

The only other question I have is if anyone knows if reward nights will continue to count toward status.

Thoughts?

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
No. Nothing to do with Star Options. SPG points convert to 3 in the new points system. Marriott points go straight across as 1:1. It was covered in the session. When you opt for starpoints conversion from your Vistana time, you get your 1 SPG point to become 3 points in the new system.

There is no more "Marriott" points. They have not named the new program yet. Right now the new program is simply called "points".

The part that all of us should be very concerned is that it appears that there will be major devaluation of the points system again. See below.

I have been converting all my timeshare every other year into Starpoints and MRPs. Unless Vistana and MVC both increase the points conversion, I will never convert my timeshare into hotel points ever again.

Free Night Award Chart

Category Standard Effective August / Off-Peak Coming 2019 / Peak Coming 2019
1 7,500 5,000 10,000
2 12,500 10,000 15,000
3 17,500 15,000 20,000
4 25,000 20,000 30,000
5 35,000 30,000 40,000
6 50,000 40,000 60,000
7 60,000 50,000 70,000
8 Coming 2019 85,000 70,000 100,000

I wouldn't say it's a complete devaluation, at least for now. Personally, I now want to do everything I can to convert all my weeks for this next year.
My two combined weeks used to convert to 84,000 points, not even enough for 3 nights at a top, category 7 property. With this system, if everything said above is correct, I *should* receive 252,000 points in the new system, enough for 4 nights in any top Marriott property. So, I am happy!

I would also expect that those highest categories will be almost exclusively the luxury brands like St. Regis, Ritz, Edition, etc.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a GREAT deal for Vistana (SPG) Timeshare owners.

1) High value SPG hotels have been reduced in StarPoint cost.
2) SPG points will convert to 3X new Marriott.
3) SPG Gold and SPG Platinum will convert to same or better benefit new Marriott.

Here's what it means to us:
1) There will be more value in converting use of Timeshare to Points.
2) It has become much more difficult to "earn" Points" via everyday spend on credit cards.
3) It has become much easier to earn "point" via hotel stays.
4) This all makes being able to get so many Points through Timeshare ownership quite a "unique" situation and great position to be in.
5) My bet is that Vistana will 1- Make the conversion and value for current owners easy and great value. AND 2- Sell all new deals at lower Points conversions and higher requirements to get Gold and Platinum.

Recommendation: Become 5*Elite as you not only get Platinum but also 10% bonus on StarPoints conversion. Buy up high starpoint value timeshare weeks resale and requalify.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a GREAT deal for Vistana (SPG) Timeshare owners.

1) High value SPG hotels have been reduced in StarPoint cost.
2) SPG points will convert to 3X new Marriott.
3) SPG Gold and SPG Platinum will convert to same or better benefit new Marriott.

Here's what it means to us:
1) There will be more value in converting use of Timeshare to Points.
2) It has become much more difficult to "earn" Points" via everyday spend on credit cards.
3) It has become much easier to earn "point" via hotel stays.
4) This all makes being able to get so many Points through Timeshare ownership quite a "unique" situation and great position to be in.
5) My bet is that Vistana will 1- Make the conversion and value for current owners easy and great value. AND 2- Sell all new deals at lower Points conversions and higher requirements to get Gold and Platinum.

Recommendation: Become 5*Elite as you not only get Platinum but also 10% bonus on StarPoints conversion. Buy up high starpoint value timeshare weeks resale and requalify.
I don't think we have enough information to confirm some of your observations.
1. We do not know if high value SPG hotels have been reduced in Starpoint cost. They could jolly well be in the top tier categories.
2. SPG points have been converting to 3X Marriott for about a year now. Not new.
3. SPG Gold actually translates to new Gold, SPG Platinum translates to new Platinum. The new Platinum is really old Marriott Gold. The new Gold does not get lounge access.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
New Gold is not equivalent to SPG Gold. It has lost lounge access and has an earlier late check out time. I’d hold off the enthusiasm until we see the tiers of hotels & point costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
so i lose on my SPG amex card. it is now 1:2 instead of 1:3 for marriott points. what about chase points. will they convert only 1:1 ? that isn't a good deal at all. my goal is to get AA points but chase doesn't transfer to AA but they do transfer to Marriott. but still better to use amex card at 1:2 than chase at 1:1 . anyone know?

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I just logged into my SPG account and it lists me as Gold Preferred and says nothing about Elite. Am I missing something? My Marriott account also says just Gold.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just logged into my SPG account and it lists me as Gold Preferred and says nothing about Elite. Am I missing something? My Marriott account also says just Gold.
Nothing changes until August. The question is how have you acquired your Gold status? Through SPG/Marriott stays/spends/timeshare? More information and we can help you decipher.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Nothing changes until August. The question is how have you acquired your Gold status? Through SPG/Marriott stays/spends/timeshare? More information and we can help you decipher.

We acquired our Gold status through 2 timeshare purchases. We own 162,000 Options. We rarely stay in SPG hotels, but since the merger, we have stayed in several Marriott brand hotels. There are more Marriott brands to choose from in the cities we visit. We run a lot of ongoing charges through the SPG card and had signed up for the Marriott card last year for the 70,000 point bonus. Actually just got the notice that we have a free night for our card anniversary.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We acquired our Gold status through 2 timeshare purchases. We own 162,000 Options. We rarely stay in SPG hotels, but since the merger, we have stayed in several Marriott brand hotels. There are more Marriott brands to choose from in the cities we visit. We run a lot of ongoing charges through the SPG card and had signed up for the Marriott card last year for the 70,000 point bonus. Actually just got the notice that we have a free night for our card anniversary.
You need to look at how many nights you have in your SPG account and how many nights and points you have in your Marriott Rewards Account. When you run more than $30K on the SPG Amex, you get gold for the year. Your Gold status through developer timeshare purchase is not lifetime but you have it as long as you don't sell it. Lifetime Gold for SPG is 250 nights, Lifetime Gold for Marriott is 500 nights and 1.6 Million Marriott points. These are earned nights/points. If you have not achieved either one, you don't get lifetime elite status transferred over in the new system. Vistana and Marriott Vacation Club have not clarified as to how owners with status through their timeshare ownership translates in the new system.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Overall, I think the new combined system works for me. I don't see a huge upside or a huge downside.

i dont see any huge effect at higher levels. What they took away at Plat 50 they moved to a higher level, or split (SNAs) across two levels.

i'm SPG Plat 50 from my 5* Elite status, and im Lifetime Platinum from the hotel side, so they both likely equate to the new Platinum Elite, with no significant loss of major benefits.

the other perks (extra points, Your24, full number of SNAs) all kick on with SPG Platinum 100 earned from the hotel side matched to the new Platinum Premier Elite.

only thing i may lose is my Ambassador as im not sure if my annual spend is the equivalent of $20K USD (as im located and largely stay in Canada, so the exchange rate is not in my favour), but thst particuler perk is quite hit and miss...

on the plus side might be access to more airline partners, with the impending Aeroplan and Air Canada divorce.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The letters I just received from SPG and Marriott state that Starpoints will be multiplied by three to convert to points in the new Marriott Loyalty Program that will get a new name in 2019.

The letter from Starwood has my name and SPG number and tells me:

Now my account lists me as lifetime Gold, but I also get Platinum benefits for being 5* Elite. We’ll still have to see what happens with that. I don’t think I’m listed as Lifetime Platinum on the SPG side, because I would lose the status if I were to lose my 5*status on the Vistana side.

We’ll earn 10 points per US Dollar spent at Marriott properties.

The main downside I see is for the credit card. It earns just 2 points per dollar spent, instapead of multiplying by 3 the current point/$ rate.

A summary of changes for SPG members is listed at:
https://members.marriott.com/spg/

Changes for Marriott Rewards members are at:
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
Interesting, I am 5* Elite and I am listed as Platinum Elite (Renew at 75 nights) in Marriott and Plat Preferred in SPG.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would not believe the number of SPG points I have in my account right now. I need to transfer or do something with them that will benefit us before August 1st.
OK, I have to ask. What is your SPG balance (in round numbers)? "You would not believe the number of SPG points I have in my account right now" = 10M+ to me...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, keep in mind that this is not a deeded benefit. Who knows who will own Marriott in the future...:ponder:...Things could change..Just saying...

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Does anyone have advice on whether I need to do anything with my few Marriott Rewards points? The expiration date on those is November 2018. I was planning to transfer them to SPG before then to avoid losing them altogether. Do our current SPG points have a longer life than Marriott points (2 years) without activity? I mainly transfer SPG points to airlines, so that benefit doesn't seem to be affected with this program unification. We've used our SPG AMEX for most of our daily purchases ever since we bought our timeshare in 2002. Is the consensus that this isn't a good idea anymore? We have the Citibank Costco card now, and get 3% on travel purchases, which seems pretty good.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In August 2018, both SPG rewards account and Marriott rewards account will be combined, presumably a new Acct # or possibly taking on Marriott's account. After the consolidation, I believe that as long as you continue to have activity with your SPG Amex, the points should not expire. Please don't take my word and make sure you check it out in August. From my assessment, everyday spending is still best on SPG Amex, although it will drop from 3X (Marriott's equivalent points) to 2X after August.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
New Gold is not equivalent to SPG Gold. It has lost lounge access and has an earlier late check out time. I’d hold off the enthusiasm until we see the tiers of hotels & point costs.

Just to clarify, SPG Gold members have never gotten lounge access as a published benefit in Starwood Hotels. For the past few months, SPG Gold members were generously matched to Marriott Gold, which gave them lounge access only on the Marriott side. If you had Marriott Gold for these past couple months, consider it as a bonus!

The new Gold level is very similar to the current SPG Gold. It has significantly less benefits than the existing Marriott Gold, but this is because the stay requirements have gone down significantly, going to 25 nights instead of 50 nights. Marriott's existing gold level is essentially being moved into the new system as Platinum, requiring the same number of nights (50), and the same benefits (plus more!).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
From my assessment, everyday spending is still best on SPG Amex, although it will drop from 3X (Marriott's equivalent points) to 2X after August.
Now it is pretty good, although there are better options specially if you are willing to break everyday spending into mini categories which may even have seasonal bonuses. The new card will devalue earnings like you said.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have always been told that our SPG points are good for 6 years. When we use them for anything, like transfer to airlines, we have to make sure they take the oldest points for the transfer.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
You may want to look into the Citi Prestige for paid stays...

I was wrong as stated earlier. Still get Fifth night Free under new program.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We have always been told that our SPG points are good for 6 years. When we use them for anything, like transfer to airlines, we have to make sure they take the oldest points for the transfer.

How do you even know how old the points are? I’ve never had an issue with points expiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
For those who aren't following the speculation thread, here is the page with the details of how the new program affects Vistana owners: https://www.vistana.com/news-faq

-SPG Gold will stay Gold Elite in the new program
-SPG Platinum (from 5* elite) will stay Platinum Elite in the new program
-Point conversions will be multiplied by 3 ("To align, you will receive 3X your current conversion amount when converting your VOI, also starting in August."