• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Marriott Unification

blondietink

Reaction score
How do you even know how old the points are? I’ve never had an issue with points expiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you call them to use your points instead of booking online, they can tell you which points are expiring and when if you ask.

molly32

Reaction score
The biggest mystery is how the SPG options will transfer to Marriott points. I own 81,000 options with the ability to covert to 42,000 SPG points. So my question is how many Marriott points for my ownership convert to ?? Anyone call services today and ask!!!?

If they do not offer 3 to 1 conversion it’s going to be a s$&t show.

After augustby the way our AMEXSPG for each dollar spent will give you 2 Marriott points

I called today -April 18th- and asked about the starpoint conversion and was told it will be a one time conversion of 3-1 and after that we are apparently out of luck. I mentioned a possible class-action lawsuit because that was the reason we bought in and will not be happy if that isn't addressed.

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called today -April 18th- and asked about the starpoint conversion and was told it will be a one time conversion of 3-1 and after that we are apparently out of luck. I mentioned a possible class-action lawsuit because that was the reason we bought in and will not be happy if that isn't addressed.
HUCA!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very apparent to me when I read that after August 1st, all Starpoint will automatically be converted to 3X in the new point system.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the FAQ from Vistana
https://www.vistana.com/news-faq

It appears for 5* who get Platinum there are two small changes - one indifferent and one improved benefit...if my interpretation is correct.

We lose the 72 hour room guarantee - downgrade
5 Suite Night Awards vs OLD required 50 nights to get 10 awards -- upgrade?
** we get 5 with our status match OR a gift choice

Also from another message from the Head of the Program - he seemed to indicate we will get points for Spa and other onsite spend we haven't in the past.

My major disappointment or frustration comes from earning Elite NIGHTS on more than 1 room. When traveling as a family and getting 2 rooms, it is frustrating to only get 1 rooms credit. However, if we do get 5 SNA's for our new 5* match, I am less worried about it. I always shot for 50 to get those 10 nights. Now you need 75 and with only one room credit would be impossible. If our agreement gives us 5 nights - well that is a good meet in the middle. IMO Suites should be potentially easier as they only release 5 at 50 and another 5 at 75....that would weed out the pool I would guess. But again, this is all based on my reading of the chart stating we get a choice of 5 SNA or Gift.

Also under SPG Platinum's used to earn 3 points per $ spent -- which would be 9 in this system. It will now be 15 points, plus more earning from what I understand (spa, etc)

The AMEX Downgrade from 3 in the system to 2 is a bummer. But I did hear an interesting stat (true or not) that if you traditionally spent 35,000 or less you are actually earning more on the new card as they will now give you 1 free night (up to 35,000 point property). I understand it is 35,000 less for Airline transfers and such...but if you use for hotels (like I do most often) then this is kind of a wash. I can get double on my spend (still) and a free night...so I actually come out ahead as I used primarily to pay dues, for hotels, etc.

My fingers are crossed on the 5 nights SNA that is always a nice bonus for my wife and I our our special trips.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the FAQ from Vistana
https://www.vistana.com/news-faq

It appears for 5* who get Platinum there are two small changes - one indifferent and one improved benefit...if my interpretation is correct.

We lose the 72 hour room guarantee - downgrade
5 Suite Night Awards vs OLD required 50 nights to get 10 awards -- upgrade?
** we get 5 with our status match OR a gift choice

Also from another message from the Head of the Program - he seemed to indicate we will get points for Spa and other onsite spend we haven't in the past.

My major disappointment or frustration comes from earning Elite NIGHTS on more than 1 room. When traveling as a family and getting 2 rooms, it is frustrating to only get 1 rooms credit. However, if we do get 5 SNA's for our new 5* match, I am less worried about it. I always shot for 50 to get those 10 nights. Now you need 75 and with only one room credit would be impossible. If our agreement gives us 5 nights - well that is a good meet in the middle. IMO Suites should be potentially easier as they only release 5 at 50 and another 5 at 75....that would weed out the pool I would guess. But again, this is all based on my reading of the chart stating we get a choice of 5 SNA or Gift.

Also under SPG Platinum's used to earn 3 points per $ spent -- which would be 9 in this system. It will now be 15 points, plus more earning from what I understand (spa, etc)

The AMEX Downgrade from 3 in the system to 2 is a bummer. But I did hear an interesting stat (true or not) that if you traditionally spent 35,000 or less you are actually earning more on the new card as they will now give you 1 free night (up to 35,000 point property). I understand it is 35,000 less for Airline transfers and such...but if you use for hotels (like I do most often) then this is kind of a wash. I can get double on my spend (still) and a free night...so I actually come out ahead as I used primarily to pay dues, for hotels, etc.

My fingers are crossed on the 5 nights SNA that is always a nice bonus for my wife and I our our special trips.
The way I read is that you need to reach 50 or 75 nights per year before you get the 5 suite award nights at each milestone. Being Platinum gets you possibility of upgrade only.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I read it is below from the Vistana site -- however I would agree 100% if you read "Platinum Elite" on the Marriott Definitions it states this is an earned reward at 50 nights. My interpertation is that this was negotiated and we would have an annual choice of those 5, perhaps to make up for what we lost??? Just guessing; but I agree on the definition of qualifying through earn on Marriott is slightly different that what they are telling us is our New August Platinum Elite Definition.

ARE PLATINUM PREFERRED LEVEL BENEFITS CHANGING?

• Please see comparison chart below:
    CURRENT: PLATINUM PREFERRED AUGUST: PLATINUM ELITE
    Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members
    50% bonus earning (bonus on earned points) 50% bonus earning (bonus on earned points)
    Enhanced Room Upgrade when available, Including standard suites Enhanced Room Upgrade when available, including standard suites
    72-hour guarantee No longer available
    Arrival gift of points, breakfast or amenity Arrival gift of up to 500/1000 points or breakfast or amenity (varies by brand, some exclusions apply)
    Lounge Access Lounge Access
    No Blackout Dates No Blackout Dates
    P50 Choice: Suite Night Award (SNA) or gift option Annual choice option (5 SNAs or gift option)
    Enhanced Wi-Fi Enhanced Wi-Fi
    4 p.m. check-out 4 p.m. check-out

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry the above to squished together -- had it spaced out per the table on the website.......

travelfam18

Reaction score
Does this mean anything to an owner of a resale at a voluntary resort?? It doesn’t seem to but I could be wrong.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I read it is below from the Vistana site

Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members

Agree: THIS IS GREAT! Number of stays are waived. We get 5 SuiteNightAwards.
WOW, Quite an IMPROVED benefit for 5*Elite.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I read it is below from the Vistana site -- however I would agree 100% if you read "Platinum Elite" on the Marriott Definitions it states this is an earned reward at 50 nights. My interpertation is that this was negotiated and we would have an annual choice of those 5, perhaps to make up for what we lost??? Just guessing; but I agree on the definition of qualifying through earn on Marriott is slightly different that what they are telling us is our New August Platinum Elite Definition.

50% bonus earning (bonus on earned points) 50% bonus earning (bonus on earned points)
    Enhanced Room Upgrade when available, Including standard suites Enhanced Room Upgrade when available, including standard suites
    72-hour guarantee No longer available
    Arrival gift of points, breakfast or amenity Arrival gift of up to 500/1000 points or breakfast or amenity (varies by brand, some exclusions apply)
    Lounge Access Lounge Access
    No Blackout Dates No Blackout Dates
    P50 Choice: Suite Night Award (SNA) or gift option Annual choice option (5 SNAs or gift option)
    Enhanced Wi-Fi Enhanced Wi-Fi
    4 p.m. check-out 4 p.m. check-out
I see what you mean. Platinum through Vistana 5 star elite does not require 50 nights stay to qualify for 5 nights suite awards.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean anything to an owner of a resale at a voluntary resort?? It doesn’t seem to but I could be wrong.
No change to Vistana voluntary owner as far as Vistana elite perks go, but you still get the new points earnings table for spendings, the multiplier being dependent of your Elite status in however you have acquired. For instance if you get Platinum through Marriott, that status gives greater bonuses on Vistana/Marriott spendings.

Last edited:

molly32

Reaction score
Now we just got an email saying they will do a one time conversion of current points and going forward they will do a 3-1 from here on out. I must not have been the only one to complain...

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you please direct me to where on the Marriott site it shows 5*Elite and therefore Platinum gets SuiteNightAwards? I am 5*Elite and Platinum but I don't see it.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you please direct me to where on the Marriott site it shows 5*Elite and therefore Platinum gets SuiteNightAwards? I am 5*Elite and Platinum but I don't see it.
It’s in the FAQ on Vistana’s website.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is listed in the chart here. Though we don't know if ownership based status gets Suite Night Awards as there is a caveat also listed "Awarded with 50 qualifying nights". You may not get the Suite Night Awards if you don't actually get to the required nights each year.

Edited to add: I stand corrected on the above as I see this in the Vistana FAQ linked above "Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members"

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Stay qualifier waived for 5 Star Elite VSN members"
Yes I see it but Not sure what it actually means.
Does it mean - Stay qualifier waived to get Platinum or waived for the 50 night requirement too?
When I go to the SPG web site it says I am Platinum but when I click on to get my 50 night bonus it says I am not eligible.
Please advise?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it mean - Stay qualifier waived to get Platinum or waived for the 50 night requirement too?
When I go to the SPG web site it says I am Platinum but when I click on to get my 50 night bonus it says I am not eligible.
Please advise?
It is not yet August 2018.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Unfortunately, nothing about timeshare nights counting towards status :(

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, nothing about timeshare nights counting towards status :(
You mean in future for Vistana? It has not counted up till now. Is it stated somewhere that it continues to be so in the future? As you may know, up to this point in time, stays at Marriott resorts count towards status.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please advise?
I think it means you don't need to actually stay the 50 nights to get the 5 Suite Night Awards. The program officially doesn't change until August 1, so you may have those Suite Night Awards after that date.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Did I read correctly that there will no longer be a free 5th night at hotels using points? If so, that's another reduction of benefits for me... along with the 33% reduction in credit card earnings, this program may well be out of the running for me. Most of my SP stays are 5-nights for this benefit.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did I read correctly that there will no longer be a free 5th night at hotels using points? If so, that's another reduction of benefits for me... along with the 33% reduction in credit card earnings, this program may well be out of the running for me. Most of my SP stays are 5-nights for this benefit.
I believe that it’s been confirmed the fifth night free stays. I’ll have to find the article again as I’ve read so many last couple of days, but I’m 99% sure it stays.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I believe that it’s been confirmed the fifth night free stays. I’ll have to find the article again as I’ve read so many last couple of days, but I’m 99% sure it stays.

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
so are we saying here that if I convert my week to points going forward I get 3x the points so in essence it really just stays the same?