• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPM joins Capital Vacations (aka Capital Resort Group)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just saw this in my newsletter. It always worries me when a managaement company also owns a Timeshare system. This is Capital Resorts Group as they have the same logo. I hope my wonderful timeshare Jade Tree in Myrtle Beach doesn’t get somehow gobbled up.

upload_2018-12-20_17-37-36.png
We are excited to announce that your management company, SPM Resorts, has joined with other sales and management companies and rebranded under one unified brand – Capital Vacations.
We’d like to share our new corporate identity and logo with you so that when you see “Capital Vacations” in the future, you know that your management company and services have not changed, only our branding has changed.
Under one brand we are able to begin working with a bigger group to offer more value and benefits to owners, extended travel options, additional management services, sales options and better group pricing on everything from refurbishments to insurance.
Overall, this rebranding showcases that, as Capital Vacations, we are committed to delivering memorable vacation experiences to you, our owners.”

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-20_17-37-22.png
    upload_2018-12-20_17-37-22.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 105

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Just saw this in my newsletter. It always worries me when a managaement company also owns a Timeshare system. This is Capital Resorts Group as they have the same logo. I hope my wonderful timeshare Jade Tree in Myrtle Beach doesn’t get somehow gobbled up.

View attachment 9526We are excited to announce that your management company, SPM Resorts, has joined with other sales and management companies and rebranded under one unified brand – Capital Vacations.
We’d like to share our new corporate identity and logo with you so that when you see “Capital Vacations” in the future, you know that your management company and services have not changed, only our branding has changed.
Under one brand we are able to begin working with a bigger group to offer more value and benefits to owners, extended travel options, additional management services, sales options and better group pricing on everything from refurbishments to insurance.
Overall, this rebranding showcases that, as Capital Vacations, we are committed to delivering memorable vacation experiences to you, our owners.”
Does Capital Vacations own any units at Jade Tree Cove, i.e. did Capital Resorts ever buy HOA inventory for their Capital Points?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If Jade Tree Cove is managed by SPM or Defender, than Capital probably got their hands on any unsold inventory. It doesn't take much for then to take over the HOA using block voting. It means they will set up shop and try to convert you. Capital will only have the inventory that they obtained as unsold HOA inventory plus any inventory that they convince people to "convert." Your MF might go up a little as they always like to upgrade the bathrooms and to an extent the kitchens. They probably will try to get the flex exchange program that Defender has cancelled because they would rather make you convert to gain the flexibility that you already had through the Defender off season program.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Capital Vacations own any units at Jade Tree Cove, i.e. did Capital Resorts ever buy HOA inventory for their Capital Points?
If Jade Tree Cove is managed by SPM or Defender, than Capital probably got their hands on any unsold inventory. It doesn't take much for then to take over the HOA using block voting. It means they will set up shop and try to convert you. Capital will only have the inventory that they obtained as unsold HOA inventory plus any inventory that they convince people to "convert." Your MF might go up a little as they always like to upgrade the bathrooms and to an extent the kitchens. They probably will try to get the flex exchange program that Defender has cancelled because they would rather make you convert to gain the flexibility that you already had through the Defender off season program.
I am not aware of Capital buying any inventory at Jade Tree Cove. I can call after the holidays and ask. It seems Capital is also a management company not always owning where they manage, at least for now. I doubt my HOA board sold them a bulk of units as they look everything over, over and over again. SPM couldn’t convince the board to dual affiliate with Interval because the board did not like the wording of the contract.

Jade Trees in house and affiliate bonus time for low time owned weeks is still available. I was just on the phone the other day discussing it with the manager.

Mf at Jade Tree is very low. It was under $500 for a one bedroom. I would be ok with it going up if they upgrade the baths and kitchen.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I am not aware of Capital buying any inventory at Jade Tree Cove.
I think as long as Capital Resorts stays away from HOA involvement you are OK. If they start running candidates for the board you should consider kicking resort manager SPM to the curb.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe there is some confusion about Corporate organization. ...

Before: "National Hospitality Group" owned three subsidiary businesses: Capital Resorts, SPM and Defender.

Now: National Hospitality Group changed it's name to Capital Vacations and is rebranding the three subsidiaries. But the two management subsidiaries are still separate businesses from the subsidiary selling points.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe there is some confusion about Corporate organization. ...

Before: "National Hospitality Group" owned three subsidiary businesses: Capital Resorts, SPM and Defender.

Now: National Hospitality Group changed it's name to Capital Vacations and is rebranding the three subsidiaries. But the two management subsidiaries are still separate businesses from the subsidiary selling points.
Got it, but still worried sometimes business lines get blurred.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Capital Resorts eventually totally absorbed SPM and Defender. Several former SPM and Defender resorts kicked Capital Resorts management to the curb with lawsuits flying in all directions.