• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St John owners looking for an alternative

Ksbryan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can't go to St John in September, so I'm trying to decide where to go. I'm debating between Westin Las Cabos and Kaanapali Ocean North. Has anyone been to both resorts and have an opinion?

Rman

TUG Member
Reaction score
have been to Kannapali north and south, and like it, have not been to the Mexico resorts, it will depend on your air travel time and schedule, hawaii is far if you live on the east coast,
There are a lot of reviews of the kannapali resorts on tug, can't go wrong, cabos is new, but should be ok., thats it cheers

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I have not been to the Mexican resorts, either, but Maui is my favorite place on Earth. It has all the beauty of a Pacific island, plus all the conveniences of being in the United States, such as no customs, no currency exchanges, no language barriers, etc.

Ksbryan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I've been reading the reviews. I think they will both be great. I'm just having trouble making up my mind. I like the Hawaii is in the US part. Air fare is cheaper to Mexico. I may just pay the airlines and go to Hawaii.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have been to both resorts. What do you like to do on vacation?
At Westin Los Cabo, the setting is stunning. not much to do at the resort as the beach is not quite swim-able. It's located on the corridor between Cabo San Lucas (Lands End) and San Jose del Cabo (where the airport is). You will need to rent a car or prepare to spend significant amount on cab. Fishing is good, but snorkeling is just OK compared to Maui. The island is desert-like, humility low and cactus everywhere. Cheaper in Cabo than in Maui for food and activities.
At WKORV (both North and South), it is on a nice beach. Great snorkeling is just a few steps (or strokes) away. The Island is lush and pretty, lots to do.
I like both for different reasons. I am also trying to use my SOs this year since I could not go to WSJ. We would love to get something in Cancun or Bahamas...

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
first time to maui this june. We love Lagunamar, probably our favorite so far. I've been to the los cabo one when it was a hotel. I prefer Lagunamar.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you can make it - Maui (any of the resorts). Since Mexico is easier... ;)
Also, if you plan to try and go Sept-Oct - consider WPORV (Princeville, Kauai) - it is a great resort (no beach - yada yada - but fantastic location). Depends if you want beach front or a surreal paradise...

We are using our WSJ SOs to stay 17 nites at WPORV in June, and we own an EOY odd at WPORV (normally Sept). We are already going to WKORV in Sept this year on our WKORV OFD and WKV SOs (and 5-nite Nanea Invite).

They are all great in their own ways.
If we can go to WSJ (STT) from SFO every June - you can make HI...
Enjoy

Car rental prices are crazy in HI - reserve and track...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We would definitely choose Hawaii over Mexico. However, for Mexico, we would choose Lagunamar in Cancun over Cabo. We wouldn’t turn any of them down, but those would be our preferences. It really depends on what you want to do. No bad choices here.

Have fun.

Best regards.

Mike

blondietink

Reaction score
Before you get your heart set on Maui, I think you had better check availability. It is late to book anything in Hawaii. I checked the villa finder tool for a week in mid September and all that is available are studios and one is low availability. Nothing at Princeville.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Before you get your heart set on Maui, I think you had better check availability. It is late to book anything in Hawaii. I checked the villa finder tool for a week in mid September and all that is available are studios and one is low availability. Nothing at Princeville.

That's one data point. I've just checked other seven-day periods in September and find 2-bedroom units available at Nanea and all types of villas available at Ka'anapali North.

blondietink

Reaction score
My point was that OP needs to make a decision shortly and decide where and when she wants to go. Availability won't last forever.