• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Maarten news

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
It seems that the two Diamond resorts in St. Maarten, the Flamingo and the Royal Palm, are dismissing all their employees this month (December). The two resorts will be closed for 2 years. Employees are asked to reapply when and if the resorts reopen. They are to receive a modest severance pay dependent on years of service.

Very sad news for hundreds of needy, hard working people whose lives will be drastically changed.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information. Sounds liked these two (2) resorts are being totally rebuilt from the ground up. In two (2) years these Resorts will be two (2) brand new Diamond International Resorts .

Question. How the owners at these two (2) Resorts been notified by DRI?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the employees at these two (2) Resorts please with their severance package? I do understand that they need to be employed and that they were hard working employees and dedicated employees.

I have never visited these two (2) Resorts . But I wish them well and good luck in finding gainful employment.

I have only visited this beautiful island by cruising.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the workers on this island you must stay together as one.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Hi Pedro, thank you for your kind words. From what I read, it appears that Diamond held a meeting and informed staff members they were being dismissed. It's a very sad situation, on one hand the heart goes out to these poor people who desperately rely on their salaries to rebuild their homes and feed their families. On the other hand, one can hardly blame Diamond resort for not being able to sustain hundreds of people at full salary for no resort, no guests, hence no work needed.

I heard that Divi did something similar. They cut everyone's work schedule to two days/week and eliminated health benefits. Employees were required to sign and accept these mandatory changes immediately or lose their jobs/positions completely with no recourse. From what I understand, employees were willing to accept the new terms as long as they were free to find additional part time work to supplement missing salary but were prohibited from doing so.

I hope and pray the reports I am reading are exaggerated and that the situation for the good people of St. Maarten is not as dire as it appears to be.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds liked the two (2) Diamond Resorts and the Divi Resorts were over 90% destroyed by the hurricane.

My prays are with all the people, workers and families on the island. Maybe the cruise industry will pick-up some effective laid-off employees.

I pray that your Labor Dept will enforce the labor laws to hire the people from the island "First."

I have a friend that works on the island and they states things are really bad after you leave the downtown area.

To all be safe, stay together as an employee group and May Peace Be With You All.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm so sad for all the islanders impacted by these devastating hurricanes. Thanks for the report.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please keep us informed on what is really happening on the island.
Thanks.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When the hurricane hit in Cabo, Diamond retained as many employees as they could to be part of the cleanup and repair crew. But that was not a total rebuild.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Divi had some damage but not 90%, since they plan to reopen in May of 2018. Also I think Belair, which is on the same bay as Divi, is hoping to be open in March.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction: The 90% destructions figure for the Diamond Resorts was hearsay and not by any Diamond officials.

This is a clarification of my original statement was from a very disgruntled long time employee at one of resort.

Last edited: