• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St Thomas/St John timeshare options

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have completely changed all our 2019 plans, once again. I probably should not pre-post my plans anymore.

Truer words were never spoken. :)

You guys change plans more than anyone I know. I guess that's ok, everyone is different. It's just hard for me to understand, but interesting to hear. When we make plans, there's a 100% chance we will do them. We have never changed plans.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
That is the fun of planning. I plan and re-plan! LOL :rolleyes: Planning is like taking a vacation at home.

P.S. I eventually take the vacations I cancel. For example, I planned and canceled a trip to Greece and Turkey, which I ended up taking a few years later. So the effort is eventually rewarded.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just hassling you, but it would drive me nuts. To each their own.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Aside from Cannel Bay which is no longer available in the foreseeable future, Westin is the best place to stay on St John (though I am biased as I am an owner . :))

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Are you taking a Tradewinds Cruise to BVI after the Westin stay? This is something I have been thinking. If so, please let us know how it goes.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Are you taking a Tradewinds Cruise to BVI after the Westin stay? This is something I have been thinking. If so, please let us know how it goes.

I was wondering that too. But she said a 6 cabin, and that is likely NOT available via an exchange, but only as an owner. Renting direct it is available. I am a tradewinds member, and to date have sailed 27 times with them, all over the world.

I also would recommended what Pat (grayfal) did, Scrub Island. That has also been on my to do list since it opened. I saw it several time when it was under construction. I just haven't been back to BVI since, but have been to BVI about 9 or 10 times now. I have lost track.

If anyone is interested in trying a Tradewinds at a base or a yacht NOT available via RCI, contact me as there are good referral rates, provided you have NEVER been on Tradewinds.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

At the moment, I am scheduled to take a Dream Yacht Charter sailing trip of the BVIs. This is a cash trip, not an exchange. We will see how it goes. The price is really good.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
At the moment, I am scheduled to take a Dream Yacht Charter sailing trip of the BVIs. This is a cash trip, not an exchange. We will see how it goes. The price is really good.

My brother and I bareboat sailed the BVI for 2 weeks in 1991 - before GPS and internet - it was fantastic!
(except for losing our mast in the middle of the SFD channel...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My brother and I bareboat sailed the BVI for 2 weeks in 1991 - before GPS and internet - it was fantastic!
(except for losing our mast in the middle of the SFD channel...)

How did you get demasted? The Drake channel is not that notorious.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Metal fatigue in head stay. Snapped at about 10 knots. Luckily no one got hurt.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Metal fatigue in head stay. Snapped at about 10 knots. Luckily no one got hurt.

Lucky indeed. It does get windy right as the channel narrows between West End and Little Thatch. Is that were it happened? Where did you rent the boat from?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Lucky indeed. It does get windy right as the channel narrows between West End and Little Thatch. Is that were it happened? Where did you rent the boat from?

This was 1991. We had come out of The Bight at Norman Island (partied at the original WillieTs before it burned down in 1997 (?)) and were heading up the SFD to Salt Island (?) to dive The Rhône.

We rented from a now defunct charter company in Nanny Cay (BVI). The upside is that we got another boat fully supplied as we had already drank all the alcohol.

They had already heard about the dismast before we radioed in.

When we got back to Nanny Cay - the charter company had closed - and also while we were away Pan Am had closed. We got to STT only to find the Pan Am desk closed - took a TWA flight home. I was riddled with noseeum bites as we watched sunset while sitting on the beach and had no idea that noseeums existed being from NorCal.

Unfortunately we didn’t know about STJ, and only stayed in the BVI due to perceived hassle of checking in/out through Customs. Otherwise my life could have turned out quite differently.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
heading up the SFD to Salt Island (?) to dive The Rhône.

Unfortunately we didn’t know about STJ, and only stayed in the BVI due to perceived hassle of checking in/out through Customs. Otherwise my life could have turned out quite differently.

The Rhone is off the west coast of Salt Island you are correct there.

Only issue with STJ is that you have to sail all the way over to the other side of the island to clear customs. So it is a bit inconvenient. No place to clear on the East side.