• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

State of Emergency in Jamaica

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The government of Jamaica has declared a State of Emergency (SOE) for three western parishes in Jamaica (St. James, Westmoreland and Hanover), an area that includes popular tourist destinations Negril and Montego Bay. The emergency declaration is the result of an increase in serious crimes, including murders in the western region of Jamaica. The SOE allows the military to support police in joint security operations.

According to Travel Mole:

The Jamaican Foreign Office warned visitors that the special measures could lead to curfews, road closures and travel delays. SOE’s have been used before in Jamaica, with the last declared in St. James parish in January 2018, which was credited with a 70% reduction in murders in the parish year over year.

The Jamaica Gleaner states:

Business owners in the resort town of Negril are more concerned about fixing the crime problem than about potential financial losses. While welcoming the second edition of the SOE, Winston Lawson, the president of the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, urged the authority to be lenient with business opening hours.

RJR News states:

The SOE will last 14 days, in the first instance, and an extension will require two-thirds majority votes in both houses of Parliament. Lieutenant General Rocky Meade, Chief of Defence Staff of the Jamaica Defence Force, stressed that the SOE will give the security forces “temporary additional powers, including additional powers of search, arrest and detention.”

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was only in Jamaica once for a few hours as a shore excursion on a cruise. Didn't like it at all.

DRIless

Reaction score
I also stopped on a cruise for three days about 40 years ago. It's a beautiful island! I was young and quite surprised when I saw the ship's 2nd Officer hand off one paper grocery bag full of cartons of US cigarettes to a port security officer, I expect for more lax security controls at the piers. I saw where US cigarettes packs were easily traded for other things to smoke, etc. The island is still very beautiful and the island is still not a safe place to be out and about on your own. The same can be said for many Caribbean islands.

The government of Jamaica has declared a State of Emergency (SOE) for three western parishes in Jamaica (St. James, Westmoreland and Hanover), an area that includes popular tourist destinations Negril and Montego Bay. The emergency declaration is the result of an increase in serious crimes, including murders in the western region of Jamaica. The SOE allows the military to support police in joint security operations.

According to Travel Mole:

The Jamaican Foreign Office warned visitors that the special measures could lead to curfews, road closures and travel delays. SOE’s have been used before in Jamaica, with the last declared in St. James parish in January 2018, which was credited with a 70% reduction in murders in the parish year over year.

The Jamaica Gleaner states:

Business owners in the resort town of Negril are more concerned about fixing the crime problem than about potential financial losses. While welcoming the second edition of the SOE, Winston Lawson, the president of the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, urged the authority to be lenient with business opening hours.

RJR News states:

The SOE will last 14 days, in the first instance, and an extension will require two-thirds majority votes in both houses of Parliament. Lieutenant General Rocky Meade, Chief of Defence Staff of the Jamaica Defence Force, stressed that the SOE will give the security forces “temporary additional powers, including additional powers of search, arrest and detention.”
Good to know!
I was only in Jamaica once for a few hours as a shore excursion on a cruise. Didn't like it at all.
Good to know?

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I also stopped on a cruise for three days about 40 years ago. It's a beautiful island! I was young and quite surprised when I saw the ship's 2nd Officer hand off one paper grocery bag full of cartons of US cigarettes to a port security officer, I expect for more lax security controls at the piers. I saw where US cigarettes packs were easily traded for other things to smoke, etc. The island is still very beautiful and the island is still not a safe place to be out and about on your own. The same can be said for many Caribbean islands.

Good to know!

Good to know?

My point in saying this is that I felt that it was not a safe place and this was like 40 years ago! I also do not like it when the locals keep harassing tourists with trying to sell them cocaine and pot- things like that.

No place is entirely safe, of course. No reason to be sarcastic.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m with you Maryann, we have never been to Jamaica our son used to work for Air Jamaica and he has always wanted to go there. But never had the chance. Not sure if he still wants to go.
Silentg

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We went to Jamaica once on a cruise stop and booked a resort for a day. They pick you up at the pier and take you to the all inclusive and take you back. For many people visiting these locations, they never leave the resort which makes a trip there generally pretty safe. However they may still be harrassed on the beaches to buy certain products. Many tourists don't even like it in Mexico because someone is always trying to sell you hats or sunglasses and the parade of them never seems to stop.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We have stayed in Jamaica in the past. Normally at a Sandals resort. It is one of the few places where we only go for a week to 10 days, stay at an AI resort and normally do not leave the resort...and certainly not at night. If we do venture out, it is only with an organized tour group. Most of the locals are friendly, but with crime statistics higher than most Caribbean islands, why take the risk?

It is unfortunate, because it truly is a beautiful island. It could be so much better off, if they could just get their drugs, gangs and crime under control. More tourists would be attracted to come and they would spend more off resort.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's be clear that the issues that the island faces today are the results of hundreds of years of social and economic inequality, slavery, and colonialism. It took hundreds of years for them to get to where they are today; it will take many generations to un-do it. Plus the fact that demand from wealthier countries for illicit drugs doesn't help. The global economic ecosystem in which they are located is nuanced and complex, and some of the factors that are impacting crime and safety are not necessarily totally within the control of a small island in the Caribbean. Just a little bit of research and background to give some context:
https://voxeu.org/article/wealth-poverty-and-inequality-colonial-jamaica

https://debate.uvm.edu/dreadlibrary/borelli02.htm

(These are both academic papers, fully researched and cited.)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Folks - I have deleted 2 posts that were just not necessary. Let's stick to the topic and not critique other poster's answers.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee and Bob Marley. :D

And the Jamaican bobsled team !!!

Even so, Jamaica has never been a place I wanted to visit.

Bill

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I haven't been to Jamaica in 10 years so this news saddens me.
Not surprised though as Nassau seems just as bad lately too.
I don't even get off the ship in Nassau anymore.

I don't even like going to the Dominican Republic anymore and
my family is from there. Just too much drugs, unemployment
and poverty in these islands. I guess you can't blame them for
working the only jobs they can find. The best paying jobs now
are getting what they can from the tourists.

I still enjoy Cayman and St. Thomas so if I am going to the
Caribbean those are my top choices now.
It is what it is. Hope that doesn't change too.

Lucky for me I live in FL so Marco Island and the Keys are a
nice compromise with no plane ticket necessary and no
worries about being robbed.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jamaica is a beautiful island. We disliked their vendors hard sell of local merchandise.
IMO, it is on the same level of a timeshare salesperson. LOL.

We will only visit Jimmy Buffet restaurant for some local drinks, fun and back on the cruise ship.
No tours or shopping outside of Jimmy Buffet area for us.

Warning for young visitors. Please do not purchase drugs in Jamaica. You will be caught and you will go to Jail.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
Jamaica is a beautiful island and has always been known to have crime problems but often times these problems are overly exaggerated.

Though I don't think I would want to go now, I will tell you a situation I encountered 25 years ago in Jamaica: I always do a lot of research before vacationing and I was aware of crime issues in Jamaica. I also always rent a car and I like to get out to experience the local culture in places I go. So I was driving around Jamaica off the beaten path when I heard the sound of a flat tire. I pulled over in front of a building with what looked like 30 or so Jamaican men setting. When I stopped about 15 of them started running towards my car. My first reaction was how am I going to survive this! When the got there they asked me if I had a jack. I got the jack and spare tire from the trunk and they proceeded to replace my flat tire for me. When I offered to pay them they refused and looked offended that I wanted to give them money.

Most of these men probably didn't have jobs but they did this out of the generosity of their heart. I will never forget this and it taught me a lesson to never assume the worst (you should prepare for it though!).

The other lesson I learned was always check your tires when renting a car especially if the car doesn't look new!