• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I deed back at my Home Resort or do I need to go to notary?

Hi, I have been accepted for a deed back and have the paperwork. As I am in Canada I need to go to see a Notary that can sign for a U.S Notary (as I am in Hawaii Collection). I can certainly do this but we are due for a stay at our home resort (Maui) in a couple of months (we also own a floating week as well as the points we are deeding back)...Has anyone deeded back at the actual resort so that their Realtor people can witness it (just like they did when we bought with DRI)? I did ask them but they said to just go to my notary here...It takes quite a while with all the paperwork over here so am thinking it would be just as quick and maybe more convenient if we just deeded back while at our home resort. :cheer:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hi, I have been accepted for a deed back and have the paperwork. As I am in Canada I need to go to see a Notary that can sign for a U.S Notary (as I am in Hawaii Collection). I can certainly do this but we are due for a stay at our home resort (Maui) in a couple of months (we also own a floating week as well as the points we are deeding back)...Has anyone deeded back at the actual resort so that their Realtor people can witness it (just like they did when we bought with DRI)? I did ask them but they said to just go to my notary here...It takes quite a while with all the paperwork over here so am thinking it would be just as quick and maybe more convenient if we just deeded back while at our home resort. :cheer:
Signing while in Hawaii sounds like a great idea.

With DRI I'd always count on them doing something which may not be best for you (the owner) So I would not sign/mail anything till you've taken your holiday.

Good Luck

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Getting towards the end of the year so if you delay you may be on the hook for 2017 maintenance fees, I think you want to get this done sooner rather than later. That being said, we sat on our paperwork for close to four months so we could finish up our scheduled trips, and we were out in less than two weeks after submitting our notarized paperwork and $250. But that was in July and they could get busy as we get closer to the end of the year. I'd be afraid to wait much longer.

DebbieDNJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

I was a TUG member many years ago, but dropped off at some point when life just got too busy. I popped back on a couple of weeks ago and found this thread about deedbacks. This was exactly what I was looking for! I submitted a request on 9/24/16 to relinquish my fixed week 6 Liki Tiki Village. I was always able to get good trades over the years, but it took too much work to manipulate the Interval International system and now the maintenance fees have become unbearable to me. I called a week later and then again today and was told that my request has been approved. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have one less thing to deal with year after year...Thank you all!

LewisT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deedback Complete--Historic Powhatan

I have just completed the deedback program with DRI. Here's a recap of my experience: 6/12/16--Email requesting DRI deedback; followed by automated reply with a ticket number in about 25 minutes. 6/13/16--Email from Loss Mitigation saying process was underway and could take 45-60 days. 8/2/16--Phone call to check on ticket status--said I should hear something in the next few days. 8/15/16--Rec'd FedEx envelope from title company with Special Warranty Deed; discovered error in spelling of name; called Loss Mitigation and they said corrected papers would be sent. 8/17/16--Corrected papers rec'd from title company. 9/2/16--Got papers notarized (took us a few days to get this rolling). 9/6/16--FedEx papers sent to title company (they provided return envelope). 9/7/16--Title company rec'd paperwork. Mid-Sept--Account with DRI closed. Checked online one day and it was active; checked a week later and had no access. 9/29/16--Email to Loss Mitigation asking for verification documents of deed transfer. 9/30/16--Email from DRI stating my account was closed on 9/22 and that no documents would be provided by them and to contact the County registrar. 10/4/16--Contacted James City County office; they emailed a copy of the special warranty deed indicating the deedback was registered with them on 9/14/16. Transfer complete. :clap:

FYI--This property was at Historic Powhatan in Williamsburg, VA. 4x4 lockout, even years only. This was week 22 and we deposited it with RCI in the spring before starting this process. Originally purchased in 1996, before Sunterra. It's a deeded week that we never converted to Diamond or RCI points, but traded through RCI (when possible). We really enjoyed it when we lived close enough to use it regularly. I don't know if this history influenced the deedback, but it may provide someone else a point of reference. It's been fun, but now I'm done. :)

DebbieDNJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
:)
I have just completed the deedback program with DRI. Here's a recap of my experience: 6/12/16--Email requesting DRI deedback; followed by automated reply with a ticket number in about 25 minutes. 6/13/16--Email from Loss Mitigation saying process was underway and could take 45-60 days. 8/2/16--Phone call to check on ticket status--said I should hear something in the next few days. 8/15/16--Rec'd FedEx envelope from title company with Special Warranty Deed; discovered error in spelling of name; called Loss Mitigation and they said corrected papers would be sent. 8/17/16--Corrected papers rec'd from title company. 9/2/16--Got papers notarized (took us a few days to get this rolling). 9/6/16--FedEx papers sent to title company (they provided return envelope). 9/7/16--Title company rec'd paperwork. Mid-Sept--Account with DRI closed. Checked online one day and it was active; checked a week later and had no access. 9/29/16--Email to Loss Mitigation asking for verification documents of deed transfer. 9/30/16--Email from DRI stating my account was closed on 9/22 and that no documents would be provided by them and to contact the County registrar. 10/4/16--Contacted James City County office; they emailed a copy of the special warranty deed indicating the deedback was registered with them on 9/14/16. Transfer complete. :clap:

FYI--This property was at Historic Powhatan in Williamsburg, VA. 4x4 lockout, even years only. This was week 22 and we deposited it with RCI in the spring before starting this process. Originally purchased in 1996, before Sunterra. It's a deeded week that we never converted to Diamond or RCI points, but traded through RCI (when possible). We really enjoyed it when we lived close enough to use it regularly. I don't know if this history influenced the deedback, but it may provide someone else a point of reference. It's been fun, but now I'm done. :)

Thank you for the detailed information. I'm into step 2 (although I received a phone call from DRI instead of an email) and it helps to know that the information I was given by DRI so far matches what you describe. My fixed week for Feb 2017 was not yet deposited and I have not paid my 2017 maintenance fees (not due until 1/1/17)and told to not pay as the process should be complete by then.:)

jenniflg

TUG Member
Reaction score
So Grateful!

I am so grateful to this website and group. It has been an amazing answer to prayer. On our vacation in May 2016 we went to an owners update. After 2 hours I left in tears due to all their treats and belittling. It was rediculous. I honestly did not know what to do but knew I had to get rid of this timeshare. After we got back I found your website and joined immediately. TugBrian had a post on deedbacks for $250. With so many people wanting out of their timeshare could something this easy be true? I thought it was worth a try. I sent my initial email to Loss Mitigation on 7/12. On 7/20 I received an email that my request was approved and had been sent to the title company. It would take 60-90 days. On 10/4 I received the paperwork from the title company. We signed it, had it notarized and include the check for $250 and shipped it all back today. I am so grateful for everyone on this tread and all the help. I am so relieved. Thank you to everyone but especially TugBrian for posting this. I hope more people join this website and get the help they need instead of going through scammers, etc. :cheer::banana:

jeff92123

Reaction score
Reasons given for wanting to return

Admittedly I haven't read every post on this thread yet so hope this is not a repeat topic but am wondering what reason to state to Diamond Resorts for wanting to return the deed. Health? Employment change? My true reasons are probably like most everyone else. I can't get the resorts I want when I want them and when I can the point cost is huge. Therefore these points have become a burden. Anyway any feedback would be appreciated.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Use whatever works for you. Cliff is 78 and I was having back issues at the time so we just said our age and infirmities were preventing us from continuing to travel. (What he didn't say was he was tired of listening to me screaming about the $10K maintenance fee every January).

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Admittedly I haven't read every post on this thread yet so hope this is not a repeat topic but am wondering what reason to state to Diamond Resorts for wanting to return the deed. Health? Employment change? My true reasons are probably like most everyone else. I can't get the resorts I want when I want them and when I can the point cost is huge. Therefore these points have become a burden. Anyway any feedback would be appreciated.

You don't need a reason. They just have to want your deed. I didn't give them a reason other than I didn't want to continue as an owner.

jeff92123

Reaction score
Okay thanks both for the advise. I had read an earlier post about "fact checking" and assumed it was related to the reasons you provide if any. I will submit my info by email now and update results on this post.

I have two 2500 point diamond membership which may be something they don't want back (2500 points is very low). If this doesn't work for me then next on my list is simply not paying them and seeing what happens. Any comments about what happens in this circumstance? I'm not overly concerned about my credit at this point in my life.

sjudge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping and Praying

I have given my timeshare this year to charity, as I understand I cannot do the "call" to loss mitigation until I have used it this year, or it will negate this gift. I have health issues and do need to divest, here is hoping this opportunity doesn't dissolve, I appreciate all the information....

jenniflg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks both for the advise. I had read an earlier post about "fact checking" and assumed it was related to the reasons you provide if any. I will submit my info by email now and update results on this post.

I have two 2500 point diamond membership which may be something they don't want back (2500 points is very low). If this doesn't work for me then next on my list is simply not paying them and seeing what happens. Any comments about what happens in this circumstance? I'm not overly concerned about my credit at this point in my life.

Hi Jeff. I stated my reason was just financial circumstances. That was all they needed. We only had 1750 points and they took it back no questions asked. Good luck!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I received this email on 9/10/16 but have not received anything in the mail or email.

Thank you for the email. We have reviewed and approved the request. We will have the Title Company prepare and mail the surrender paperwork. The transaction is being processed. We thank you ahead of time for your patience during the Surrender process.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
DRI Deedback Almost Done

:cheer:
I have to give a huge THANK YOU to my fellow Tug posters and to Denise, a wonderful Moderator, who helped me navigate thru some of this.

I am a co-owner with my sister (now deceased) on a few timeshares (DRI and Sheraton/Vistana). For a few years I tried to use or rent everything we owned together but it was just too much. Thank heaven for DRI deedback. I started on 7/6 with my first email to them detailing my situation. I got a response very quickly thru the automated program but started calling on 7/14, 7/19, 8/19, and 10/10. I found out they had approved me for surrender toward the end of July and then it went to the title company. My property was Los Abrigados in Sedona, AZ.

Since I had married after the purchase and even though my husband's name isn't on anything, he still has to sign a form since AZ is a community property state. I have to provide a notarized copy of the death certificate with my check for $250.00.

We do plan to vacation and use up the last points before we surrender. I did ask and was told I need to return the forms (they provided a fedex envelope) by Dec. 15. I think that will make it process and close out the year properly.
Probably will still have to call II to close that account and follow up with more phone calls to verify all processing but this is such a welcome blessing.

For anyone else who may have a similar situation, do not believe what the TS companies tell you have to spend to correct deeds, etc. upon the death of one of your fellow owners or for any reason. Sheraton connected me to a lawyer's office that told me I would have to spend $4000 to probate a will in FL to remove my sister from the deed of that property. Through TUG I was connected to Ready Legal (Thanks Denise) and have found out that is not true and certainly won't cost me $4000 plus. I am keeping my Sheraton/Vistana properties but cleaning the deeds up and removing my sister from the ownership. Thanks :cheer::banana:

evelia8

Reaction score
Okay, all you Smart TUG Members. I have surrendered my DRI Timeshare and it went through after paying all my maintenance fees, $250.00 Transfer Fee, Notarizing the
Forms they sent me and it took exactly 1 month. My loan had been paid-off for years. I also wrote a hardship letter beforehand and even reported them to the BBB because they wouldn't work with me at first to give back my timeshare! But thanks to all of your assistance, I was able to surrender it and I checked Diamondresorts.com and my membership is cancelled! I also called them to double-check and it has been closed! I want to thank all of you on TUG for getting me out of this nightmare timeshare. I should have joined a long time ago but didn't know about this site. Take care and Happy Holidays to you all!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fantastic news that this program is still available for DRI owners, its been an astounding success.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been to two DRI HOA meetings in the past week and recommended TUG

Okay, all you Smart TUG Members. I have surrendered my DRI Timeshare and it went through after paying all my maintenance fees, $250.00 Transfer Fee, Notarizing the
Forms they sent me and it took exactly 1 month. My loan had been paid-off for years. I also wrote a hardship letter beforehand and even reported them to the BBB because they wouldn't work with me at first to give back my timeshare! But thanks to all of your assistance, I was able to surrender it and I checked Diamondresorts.com and my membership is cancelled! I also called them to double-check and it has been closed! I want to thank all of you on TUG for getting me out of this nightmare timeshare. I should have joined a long time ago but didn't know about this site. Take care and Happy Holidays to you all!

Congratulations on finding TUG and getting rid of your DRI timeshare. :banana:

fantastic news that this program is still available for DRI owners, its been an astounding success.

A couple of people came up to me after each meeting asking me if I knew how they could get rid of their timeshare with DRI (Gold Key Resorts timeshares that were acquired by DRI last year).

I first strongly recommended TUG. Then I told them about this thread and the potential ability to surrender their timeshares back to TUG.

I hope they all took my advice. And, yes, it's good to hear DRI is still accepting these timeshares. :cheer:

ElaineA

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They took our too!

Thank you and TUG for this. We can fly to visit friends next year instead of paying DRI maintenance fee.:cheer:

bveilleu

Reaction score
2017 maintenance fees?

Hello,

I'm also from Canada and I have a week booked in Orlando in the first week of december that I want to use...

If I send my email this week to get rid of my deed and hopefully approve... Paperwork will take between 60 to 90 days to arrive as I can read on this forum...

Do you believe I'll have to pay the 2017 maintenance fees or since the process will be started I'll be safe?

Thanks for your help!

Patm929

Reaction score
MGV Palm Springs deedback

I just want to share my timeline so others will know Diamond is doing deedbacks. I owned 155 MGV points since the mid 1990's. As with most, I was very unhappy with the increase in fees. Here's my timeline:
8/1/16, stumbled upon this post
8/1/16 sent email to Loss Mitigation, received email back with ticket #
8/1/16 made reservations for Cabo Azul for October 4th
8/18/16 received email stating surrender paperwork being prepared,
8/28/16 received paperwork with instructions to return within 15 days
Took my trip as planned. Notarized and mailed paperwork back on 10/12/16
My check was cashed 10/28/16. 11/1/16my online account is gone.
Thank you so much for this post.

jeff92123

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the great information provided on this site. I have gone through all the steps (accepted, sent checks and notarized forms) and now am waiting for them to get back to finish the process. I do want to share an experience I had prior to this and it regards the sites that claim to donate your timeshare to charity. I only tried one but am guessing they are all similar: You call. They take your info. They tell you yours is not qualified for charity but that they have this great program where they will help you return your timeshare for a cost of $1500 per timeshare.