• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
In researching how to get out of a DRI timeshare I stumbled upon TUG. Is this legitimate? Why would DRI do this? Why didn't DRI tell me about this program when I contacted them asking for a way to get rid of my DRI timeshare?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
welcome to TUG! so happy you found the page when searching!

yes its legitimate, hundreds of owners have successfully utilized this service...note that its a DRI service not something we here at TUG provide!

likely whoever you contacted at DRI had no knowledge of the program...its pretty common with their entry level operators if you contact them by phone/email.

follow the directions in the first post to get started, you literally have no risk here as it only takes an email.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
In researching how to get out of a DRI timeshare I stumbled upon TUG. Is this legitimate? Why would DRI do this? Why didn't DRI tell me about this program when I contacted them asking for a way to get rid of my DRI timeshare?

Thanks
This is not a hoax. It is real. I had owned with my sister an ILX property that was bought by DRI. My sister died leaving me with many timeshares that I just can't use or rent fast enough. The reason they do it is they don't have to build a new property which isn't really how they operate. They mostly buy smaller groups up. Wyndham has also started a program they call Ovation. I am giving one back to them as well. Sales is a totally different group etc. than the corporate offices. Never in any of my conversations about how to deal with this after my sister's death did any timeshare company "offer" to tell me they had a deedback or give back program. I have shared this with 3 other people who just wanted out of their DRI property (fees got to high, person was in their 9o0s and third just didn't really use the timeshare) and they have all deeded them back for $250. You have to call Loss Mitigation which there is a posting with exactly what you need to do on the DRI listings page. It will take a few weeks to happen and you need to keep calling to follow up but the staff is always willing to answer questions.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
DRI Deedback Almost Done

:cheer:
I have to give a huge THANK YOU to my fellow Tug posters and to Denise, a wonderful Moderator, who helped me navigate thru some of this.

I am a co-owner with my sister (now deceased) on a few timeshares (DRI and Sheraton/Vistana). For a few years I tried to use or rent everything we owned together but it was just too much. Thank heaven for DRI deedback. I started on 7/6 with my first email to them detailing my situation. I got a response very quickly thru the automated program but started calling on 7/14, 7/19, 8/19, and 10/10. I found out they had approved me for surrender toward the end of July and then it went to the title company. My property was Los Abrigados in Sedona, AZ.

Since I had married after the purchase and even though my husband's name isn't on anything, he still has to sign a form since AZ is a community property state. I have to provide a notarized copy of the death certificate with my check for $250.00.

We do plan to vacation and use up the last points before we surrender. I did ask and was told I need to return the forms (they provided a fedex envelope) by Dec. 15. I think that will make it process and close out the year properly.
Probably will still have to call II to close that account and follow up with more phone calls to verify all processing but this is such a welcome blessing.

For anyone else who may have a similar situation, do not believe what the TS companies tell you have to spend to correct deeds, etc. upon the death of one of your fellow owners or for any reason. Sheraton connected me to a lawyer's office that told me I would have to spend $4000 to probate a will in FL to remove my sister from the deed of that property. Through TUG I was connected to Ready Legal (Thanks Denise) and have found out that is not true and certainly won't cost me $4000 plus. I am keeping my Sheraton/Vistana properties but cleaning the deeds up and removing my sister from the ownership. Thanks :cheer::banana:
An update. We did complete our FL say at a DRI property in early Dec. and once I checked in I found the closest FEDEX office and dropped all the notarized papers and check off. DRI provided the prepaid FEDEX return. I submitted it on 12/2, they got it in Las Vegas 12/5 and my check cleared the bank on 12/14. My online account is still active and I will keep monitoring and following up.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Thanks

Absolutely legit. It is in DRI's interest to do this, most likely to turn around and sell your points to the next sucker that comes along. Rest assured they wouldn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. We were actually told by DRI about this program while on the phone for some other reason. That started the ball rolling which led me to this thread and TUG. We dumped about half of our points, giving up US and keeping Hawaii. As long as you don't have an outstanding loan, you should be able to get out for the $250 paperwork fee. Don't know if it is too late to bail on 2017. Best to call ASAP.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Thanks
DRI does this because it's profitable. Think about it for a moment. To sell points to people they need to have actual inventory to back up the points being sold. If they acquire inventory by adding more resorts, that costs them money. Or they can acquire inventory for free from owners via deedback. There's much more money in the deedback.

I presume they don't publicize it widely because they don't want to get flooded with offers. And many people within DRI don't know that the program exists, including many of the sales people.

The real surprise is why it took them so long to start doing this, and why more developers don't do this.

sssung

Reaction score
That is awesome! Congrats! Question, did you still owe on your timeshare loan? I keep seeing a lot of people post that DRI released them and took the deed back, but was this successful with people who still had loans with them?

AlliTerrell, our timeshare loan has already been paid off completely and we did not own any maintenance fees.

Snowbow

Reaction score
9/28:I emailed loss mitigation on September 28 and received the auto email back that someone would contact me in 1-2 days.
10/5: I replied back to their email and said that I haven't heard back from them.
10/18; I received the following email: Thank you for the email. We have reviewed and approved the request. We will have the Title Company prepare and mail the surrender paperwork. Communications will come from the Title Company, to the Owner, with a NEW Surrender Deed or a Letter requesting further compliance from the Owner. We thank you ahead of time for your patience during the Surrender process.

I haven't heard anything yet from the title company, but I will follow up in a couple of weeks.

I am a deeded owner of a former Sunterra property(Scottsdale), even year studio, no points. They haven't known what to do with me the last few years since I won't buy points and I just use the unit, no exchanges, every other year. My 2017 fees have been paid in full. Hope it keeps moving forward!

Just an update. It has been slow, but progress!
12/11: emailed loss mitigation (replying on the email from 10/18 with approval) asking for a status update.
12/22: Received the following email: Your information is with the title company. Once the search clears, documents will be mailed to your address. Please allow more time for this to be completed. If you receive fees regarding next year, you may file it away as we will not require you to pay for next year's dues as long as you stay in compliance of surrender.
12/22: I reminded them that I had prepaid 2017 and received the following email (not counting on this, but I am hopeful): Once the recording has been completed, you may request for a refund for your 2017 dues.

Thompson2

Reaction score
welcome to TUG! so happy you found the page when searching!

yes its legitimate, hundreds of owners have successfully utilized this service...note that its a DRI service not something we here at TUG provide!

likely whoever you contacted at DRI had no knowledge of the program...its pretty common with their entry level operators if you contact them by phone/email.

follow the directions in the first post to get started, you literally have no risk here as it only takes an email.

First time poster here. Hopefully an easy on related to this. Has anyone done a partial buyback? We have two odd-year deeded weeks and a small number of Hawaiian trust points (long story, shocking filled with half-truths and flat out lies). We'd like to dump the points and simply retain the deeded weeks.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Thanks.
Michael

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
best option would likely be to email them and find out!

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
... Has anyone done a partial buyback? We have two odd-year deeded weeks and a small number of Hawaiian trust points ... . We'd like to dump the points and simply retain the deeded weeks.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Yes, partial surrenders are not a problem. A number of people have done partial givebacks. Your points should have a unique account number or contract number. State that number in the email to loss mitigation along with a disruption of the points.

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
It seems to have worked! I tried to give my one week Jerome (1BR, 1 BA not part of the Club) at Los Abrigados back last October and they said they would take it. Then I didn't hear anything and finally I contacted the email contact and a new person responded and said the original person made a mistake and they were not taking anymore back. When they called about my dues in January (never having sent a bill), I told them I had been promised I could deed it back and I had no intention of paying dues. Finally, they sent me papers which said they would take it. They were using Chicago Title in San Diego, which lost the papers. I called and got more papers, which were accepted and they cashed my check. Then I finally received notice in September that the deedback had been recorded and was being processed by DRI. Chicago Title moved from one office to another and the next thing you know, I have another rep from Chicago Title sending me papers to be notarized, etc. Fortunately I had kept that lovely email about the deed being recorded and he apologized for the mistake. What a process! The title company also screwed up a purchase I was making ( a buy back at one of my favorite places - Inn at the Opera) and that has taken forever as well. Fingers crossed I can get the dates I want from them.

The message is - be persistent and insistent with DRI and follow up if they are using Chicago Title!!!!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It seems to have worked! I tried to give my one week Jerome (1BR, 1 BA not part of the Club) at Los Abrigados back last October and they said they would take it. Then I didn't hear anything and finally I contacted the email contact and a new person responded and said the original person made a mistake and they were not taking anymore back. When they called about my dues in January (never having sent a bill), I told them I had been promised I could deed it back and I had no intention of paying dues. Finally, they sent me papers which said they would take it. They were using Chicago Title in San Diego, which lost the papers. I called and got more papers, which were accepted and they cashed my check. Then I finally received notice in September that the deedback had been recorded and was being processed by DRI. Chicago Title moved from one office to another and the next thing you know, I have another rep from Chicago Title sending me papers to be notarized, etc. Fortunately I had kept that lovely email about the deed being recorded and he apologized for the mistake. What a process! The title company also screwed up a purchase I was making ( a buy back at one of my favorite places - Inn at the Opera) and that has taken forever as well. Fingers crossed I can get the dates I want from them.

The message is - be persistent and insistent with DRI and follow up if they are using Chicago Title!!!!

We had enough difficulty with our DRI deedback's of our weeks at Polo Towers that I kept a file of all the E-mail correspondence, the paperwork and the cashed checks, even though we're now a year down the road from getting everything completed.

Tye8len9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Diamond is still accepting deed backs for Monarch Grand Vacation point contracts, I deeded back all my US Club and 3- MGV Club contract back when this first started but had to keep 1 - MGV because I had up coming reservations from it. I know Diamond was acquired so was wondering if anyone has deed back there contract since they were. Thanks

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
Does anyone know if Diamond is still accepting deed backs for Monarch Grand Vacation point contracts, I deeded back all my US Club and 3- MGV Club contract back when this first started but had to keep 1 - MGV because I had up coming reservations from it. I know Diamond was acquired so was wondering if anyone has deed back there contract since they were. Thanks
Best bet is to call. Now that it is 2017 and fees are due, you may have to pay the fees and ask if they refund unused portion once deed processes. My process started in 2016, they have my $250 and I am still waiting to see that it has been filed with the county. DRI loss mitigation department told me not to pay 2017 fees. Processing should be done my mid-January. If you have a loan, all loans will have to be paid off. Loss Mitigation folks are easy to talk to and if you don't get thru, just keep calling back.

Tye8len9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to call. Now that it is 2017 and fees are due, you may have to pay the fees and ask if they refund unused portion once deed processes. My process started in 2016, they have my $250 and I am still waiting to see that it has been filed with the county. DRI loss mitigation department told me not to pay 2017 fees. Processing should be done my mid-January. If you have a loan, all loans will have to be paid off. Loss Mitigation folks are easy to talk to and if you don't get thru, just keep calling back.

Thanks for the information, hang in there it took them about 4 months to complete my 6 contracts I turned back in 2015. Does anyone have the direct number to Loss Mitigation by chance...

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
A part of today's Consumer Fraud Act Violations Settlement between Arizona's Attorney General and DRI includes information about Diamond's "Relinquishment Program." Apparently it was "publicly announced by Diamond on May 4, 2016" and its name is "Transitions." (see paragraph 30)

https://www.azag.gov/sites/default/...files/Assurance_of_Discontinuance_Diamond.pdf

The announcement was made by the CEO, David Palmer, during the company's first quarter (Q1) 2016 Earnings Call. Palmer's prepared statement reads:

"To further evolution of our efforts to infuse hospitality into all aspects of our customer journey, we'll soon be introducing our Transitions program. We understand that circumstances or vacation needs of our members and owners may change and the Transition program will allow those in good standing to relinquish their interest to us in a simple, safe, and respectful manner."

Today's Settlement contains more detail about Transitions. See paragraphs 110-113. A few highlights are:

1) The eligibility criteria are:

"a. not have a loan balance or other lien encumbering the Qualifying Interest;
"b. be current on the payment of all Maintenance Fees levied against the Qualifying Interest and THE Club dues;
"c. have free and clear title to the Qualifying Interest;
"d. own a Qualifying Interest from a Diamond managed resort/program trust or a Qualifying Interest that is eligible for Diamond's multisite vacation plan; and
"e. have acquired the Qualifying Interest from Diamond or through any entity where Diamond acquired associated developer rights; however, in some eases, Diamond may acquire interests acquired by the RP Qualifying Owner in the secondary market as Diamond shall determine."

2) "[T]he Relinquishment Program is a program offered, on a case-by-case basis, at Diamond's discretion ..."

3) "[T]he maximum amount of relinquished qualifying interests (represented by points) ... shall equal 15% of the previous year's timeshare sales (represented by points)."

She5tx

Reaction score
I purchased every other year in Orlando back in 1998 when it was Embassy Grand Beach. Have a 3/3 Platinum week. Many times over the years when we visit they ask us to go to the owners update meeting, (only took once) They placed never offer again after that to meetings on our profile. My husband is sharp at math, they brought over the closer and my husband wrote on paper the number of the point system to my week and how I would pay more for points and have less days. Have attempted to sell it and give it away with no success. Today I went to pay my fees of course with utter madness at the cost! I ask do you all take the time share back , to my surprise the gentleman said let me get you to that department. WHAT?? SERIOUS? This was something I was told back in 1998 when we were 5 hours in a so called presentation, which was never able to give back. The man asked me why would I like to relinquish? Hum how much time does he have?? He told me they would send me papers to start the process. I did pay my maintenance fee which I do pay every year and only go every other year. They made a reservation for our us this July since we are due this year. Does anyone now if the maintains fees are refunded? Also I assume I will not be entitled to the week? From others here is there any special information you recommend I put in the request to relinquish? Thank you for all the information here! This has been a Prayer being answered .

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In order to relinquish your week, MF's must be current. So no, they won't refund the fee's you've already paid. Once you deed back your week reservations will be cancelled but, they're not always that good at actually cancelling the reservation.

We had a fixed week, fixed unit at Polo Towers. We deeded our week back in December the year before and did not pay our MF's for the next year. Imagine my surprise when I received a pre-arrival E-mail about a month before our deeded week! I called them and told them the week had been taken back by loss mitigation and that reservation should have been canceled automatically. The girl I spoke with was unable to do anything about it despite the fact she could see I was no longer the owner. She wanted me to call the reservations number and speak with them about it. After a while it got to the point where, if they were that stupid, I wasn't going to waste my time trying to fix their problem. So, maybe your reservation will be cancelled, maybe it won't. With DRI it's always hard to tell.

Snowbow

Reaction score
Just an update. It has been slow, but progress!
12/11: emailed loss mitigation (replying on the email from 10/18 with approval) asking for a status update.
12/22: Received the following email: Your information is with the title company. Once the search clears, documents will be mailed to your address. Please allow more time for this to be completed. If you receive fees regarding next year, you may file it away as we will not require you to pay for next year's dues as long as you stay in compliance of surrender.
12/22: I reminded them that I had prepaid 2017 and received the following email (not counting on this, but I am hopeful): Once the recording has been completed, you may request for a refund for your 2017 dues.

1/11/17: Received the docs today from First American Title in Vegas, as well as a prepaid FedEx reply envelope. Instructions say to include the $250 check made out to Diamond, of course. Will be getting this notarized and back to them tomorrow. Since my 2017 fees are prepaid, I will be asking for a refund once this is recorded, as they have instructed me to do. Will keep you in the loop as things progress, but it is going to happen!!!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
1/11/17: Received the docs today from First American Title in Vegas, as well as a prepaid FedEx reply envelope. Instructions say to include the $250 check made out to Diamond, of course. Will be getting this notarized and back to them tomorrow. Since my 2017 fees are prepaid, I will be asking for a refund once this is recorded, as they have instructed me to do. Will keep you in the loop as things progress, but it is going to happen!!!

Yes, it is going to happen!!!!

I told a friend about this offer by DRI last month. She now has it in writing that they will accept her ownership back, that she will be refunded the 2017 maintenance fee that she has paid, and will be able to use the reservation that she has coming up in April since it is from a previous year's points.

I have a lot of complaints about DRI, but this "Transitions" program is a real positive for the owners that want out.

This 29-page thread alone is worth gold to many people and definitely worth the TUG membership fee.

vista9

Reaction score
Yes, I have had success too. I received the packet of information from Diamond Resorts which included a Warranty Deed for me to sign and notarize and return and a request for me to include a check for $250. Plus they give you a Federal Express Envelope to mail everything back. Mine was at Los Abrigados in Sedona. Going to the notary today to get this signed and returned.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Yes, it is going to happen!!!!

I told a friend about this offer by DRI last month. She now has it in writing that they will accept her ownership back, that she will be refunded the 2017 maintenance fee that she has paid, and will be able to use the reservation that she has coming up in April since it is from a previous year's points.

I have a lot of complaints about DRI, but this "Transitions" program is a real positive for the owners that want out.

This 29-page thread alone is worth gold to many people and definitely worth the TUG membership fee.

I hope your friend gets all that BUT I'd really doubt that they will. DRI seems to have a policy that any DRI reservation for after the date of closing the transfer of ownership are not honored.

Mebejedi

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Diamond
So glad I found this thread. I have a 2000 point DRI account that my wife and I bought because we love Sedona, but we've never used it. Got to get rid of this thing. Hopefully it works for us as well.

sparkey549

Reaction score
I found this thread 11/2016 and sent in the email request. I received the docs to get notarized and did it early 01/2017. They just cashed my $250.00 check so I'm assuming I am good. Expecting my Diamond login to go away at some point and will report back when it does.