• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Me again. They responded it is 60 days from my acceptance into the program....so, I may not get my documents until the end of September. But I'm in the system and I feel really good about the whole thing. I know there are probably others out there that don't post and just read along and follow the instructions, so I hope I'm not being annoying by posting my updates. I may be silent until the end of September....LOL. And when this is all over, I will most definitely be getting a TUG membership. This place has given me some hope. I think I would really like to rent other properties from owners....have been browsing the "rent" boards. This is a great place. Thanks TUGBrian.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always glad when another person finds TUG on a search and gets exactly they information they needed to help them!

is quite literally the #1 goal of the group and why it was created so many years ago!

WackyLucy

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to receive a refund for the maintenance fees? Mine was taken back, I did not use my week this year hoping to recover the yearly fees?

No offense, but the likelihood of DRI sending you money after agreeing to release you from your contractual obligations is slim to none.
In fact, all fees would have to be paid up to date anyhow for the "deedback" request to even be considered for acceptance in the first place.

Last edited:

nomoretslt

Reaction score
No offense, but the likelihood of DRI sending you money after agreeing to release you from your contractual obligations is slim to none.
In fact, all fees would have to be paid up to date anyhow for the "deedback" request to even be considered for acceptance in the first place.

Some have had success..It never hurts to ask...e-mails cost nothing. Keep on trying.

jifercanuck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
grandevillas, orlando, Diamond Interntl
:confused:So, we've been DRI owners, (formerly Sunterra and others...) since the late 90s. Our whole family joined in; mom, dad, two kids....all co-owners. I have advice for those thinking of relinquishing this ownership! First, don't put your whole family on the deed! Secondly, beware of DRI ownership if you're a foreigner and ever want to get rid of it! Our Dad passed away in 2006. Our Mom is now in long-term care, suffering from dementia. We used the advice on here to inform DRI that we were done with our ownership and wanted to return it, no loans to pay off, no strings attached, and we informed them that my Dad had passed and Mom was unavailable.

Problem is, we're Canadians....

Boy oh boy is that EVER a hassle! We sent them everything they asked for, death notification, POA for Mom, title fee, the works. We sought out a notary while together in the States over March Break and signed off but the notary also signed herself in a "witness" which is not allowed (and we didn't know this, of course!) If that were the only problem it would be fixable. However, they've now returned everything, with additional forms to be notarized because, unknown to us, they apparently didn't pay close attention to my initial email and didn't send all the documents requiring notarization. Now, we are back in Canada, in separate regions. Getting a document bound for the U.S. "authenticated" in Canada is a pain in the ... especially when the two signers are not in the same place.

Apparently, the US will not accept Canadian notarization without authentication at two levels! Now, the title company wants an ORIGINAL death certificate, an ORIGINAL POA document. (we sent copies) accompanied by additional notarized documents (which they didn't send us initially). All Canadian notarized documents must be authenticated by the U.S. embassy and there is a charge for each page. All we wanted to do was get out of this with minimal fuss and expense. The total cost of getting this paperwork done will exceed $750.00 according to our best guess because we have to hire a firm to process it all, in duplicate for both of us, and get these documents through two different agencies in Ottawa before sending them on to Las Vegas! Needless to say, we're considering other "options". None of them includes maintaining a timeshare costing us over $1000 CDN per year. :(

jifercanuck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an update to the last post. While it appears we are on our way to resolving this issue with DRI, they have never actually sent us written confirmation that we are actually done with them to date, (Aug 14) and this has been going on since last January. The title company has returned some of the original documents they requested (e.g. my dad's death certificate) but after leaving 2 phone messages, there has been no response to the fact that they have NOT returned my mother's Power of Attorney form, an ORIGINAL form and one we reluctantly sent to them because they INSISTED on the original. We did not want to send this because my mother is in long-term care and we still need this document. Now, after months of waiting, they still have not returned this important form. Not impressed. Sorry to all of you Americans who have succeeded but I am frankly getting p----ed off with this nonsense!!! If I didn't see how many people have succeeded, I'd say they were stalling!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Based on prior posts in this thread, I don't think that anyone ever receives written confirmation. What happens is that people check their account on-line and can see that the account has been closed.

tstora

Reaction score
This is an update to the last post. While it appears we are on our way to resolving this issue with DRI, they have never actually sent us written confirmation that we are actually done with them to date, (Aug 14) and this has been going on since last January. The title company has returned some of the original documents they requested (e.g. my dad's death certificate) but after leaving 2 phone messages, there has been no response to the fact that they have NOT returned my mother's Power of Attorney form, an ORIGINAL form and one we reluctantly sent to them because they INSISTED on the original. We did not want to send this because my mother is in long-term care and we still need this document. Now, after months of waiting, they still have not returned this important form. Not impressed. Sorry to all of you Americans who have succeeded but I am frankly getting p----ed off with this nonsense!!! If I didn't see how many people have succeeded, I'd say they were stalling!
Diamond never sent me any written confirmation. You'll know that the process has completed if you try to log in to your Diamond Resorts account online and get the message, "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied." You can also call in and they'll tell you exactly when they closed your account.

It seems that the title companies are independent of Diamond, which explains why some people get the deedback forms within days while others have to wait months. I'd just keep calling the title company or perhaps try finding other ways to contact them (email, snail mail).

Sorry to hear about your parents. At the very least, your dad is probably smiling in heaven knowing you finally got rid of the timeshare!

jifercanuck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond never sent me any written confirmation. You'll know that the process has completed if you try to log in to your Diamond Resorts account online and get the message, "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied." You can also call in and they'll tell you exactly when they closed your account.

It seems that the title companies are independent of Diamond, which explains why some people get the deedback forms within days while others have to wait months. I'd just keep calling the title company or perhaps try finding other ways to contact them (email, snail mail).

Sorry to hear about your parents. At the very least, your dad is probably smiling in heaven knowing you finally got rid of the timeshare!

Thanks for the response. My father is NOT smiling from heaven as he can see that his wife's security could be in jeopardy in Canada due to her POA form having not been returned from Las Vegas, Nevada. I have now left TWO messages to the person from the title company with whom I was in touch in Las Vegas. She has not responded nor has she sent back the POA form that is so important --still-- for our Mom. I didn't want to send originals. (and I told this title rep. so but she insisted that they would be returned to us as soon as our paperwork was processed). This has been going on for so long now. We signed an agreement when we took on the timeshare. We are owed paperwork when we sign off, nothing owed, nothing lost on their part. It is very unprofessional. I am sure that anyone would agree it is concerning when it also involves a Power of Attorney form for a frail parent. I cannot reach the rep who has an answering machine these days and is not responding.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My father is NOT smiling from heaven as he can see that his wife's security could be in jeopardy in Canada due to her POA form having not been returned from Las Vegas, Nevada. I have now left TWO messages to the person from the title company with whom I was in touch in Las Vegas. She has not responded nor has she sent back the POA form that is so important --still-- for our Mom. I didn't want to send originals. (and I told this title rep. so but she insisted that they would be returned to us as soon as our paperwork was processed). This has been going on for so long now. We signed an agreement when we took on the timeshare. We are owed paperwork when we sign off, nothing owed, nothing lost on their part. It is very unprofessional. I am sure that anyone would agree it is concerning when it also involves a Power of Attorney form for a frail parent. I cannot reach the rep who has an answering machine these days and is not responding.

That is awful. Here is a suggestion....locate the website of the title company and find their main number. Ask to speak to someone in their title closing department. There has to be SOMEONE there to answer the phone. Something weird happened to me today. I've been checking my e-mail in box and junk box a number of times daily....I'm still waiting for my closing documents. I noticed something in my "junk" mail....from a closing company. I opened the e-mail and it was from, or appeared to be, a title closing company in Ohio. I googled the name and a closing company with a very similar name popped up, but in Chicago. The phone numbers were different too than the one supplied in the e-mail (the e-mail wanted me to click on their link to access the HUD document....and I knew that didn't sound quite right). The web page for the Chicago company seemed legit, so I called, a real operator answered the main number, I told her I thought someone was pretending the be their company....got me to the right person to speak to. It was definitely a spam e-mail.....who knows what would have happened if I clicked on that link. Additionally, this title company is not the one that holds the title paperwork for my resort.

I was just coming on here to post about this e-mail scam to make others aware to be careful when I saw your post.

So....try to find a different number for them...there has to be something. Or contact DRI again and explain the issue. I know how valuable that POA is....my mom's attorney prepared a few of them, as it seemed everyone wanted one....hospital, doctor, banks, etc. Have you contacted your attorney to see if there is another original in his file? I'm sorry you are going such trying times. Been there, done that, it is very draining. Best wishes.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
ChinoBC.....congrats on getting that weight off your shoulders! I am still waiting for my documents from the title company....it is now past 30 days, although they did say 30 - 60 days to receive the initial paperwork. Oh well, I leave soon for my (hopefully) last trip to this timeshare. I'm going to try not to worry too much....someone else waited nearly 60 days for their paperwork also.

Still so glad I found this board. :)

JuttaSBenS

Reaction score
Thank you very much TUG for helping me get rid of my DRI Los Abrigados Timeshare! I just wanted to post a few details to give people hope, especially Canadians, that it can be done. I started the process in October 2016 and I believe that I was no longer listed as a DRI owner in about June 2017. (Of course, they don't provide you with written confirmation.) I had a few problems with the notarized documents too, but I worked with my friend who is a lawyer and notary public. After calling DRI for clarification about returned documents, I was able to finalize them. I also found a document called "Winning the Timeshare Game" online, which was helpful. Thanks again!

DRICaptive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI-US Collection
I did recieve a refund on my assessment fees. Applied to my next year's amount. I did not sell all my points, however.

shuleski

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Flagship, Atlantic City
diamond Resorts/Palms Country Club, Kissimmee, FL
Hello All!! I've been lurking for some time now, and I finally decided to post looking for some recommendations and/or advise etc....
We have 2 DRI's, both being at the same place.... We first purchased first at Mystic Dunes (Palms Country Club) on a 2BR L/O (week 17), then a few years ago, we were conned into buying points & changing over our original purchase to the Points system with "THE CLUB". Since then, as like most of you, our fees have shot up to a totally unmanageable level... We still owe money ($3700) on "THE CLUB" points purchase and was looking for some advise for what to do in regards to contacting the Loss Mitigation Dept. Based on what I've been reading, it appears as though I would have to pay that balance off, prior to contacting Loss Mitigation. Looking for some advise as the maintenance & assessment fees are going to be coming out shortly for 2018. Thanks in advance for your advice.

tstora

Reaction score
Hello All!! I've been lurking for some time now, and I finally decided to post looking for some recommendations and/or advise etc....
We have 2 DRI's, both being at the same place.... We first purchased first at Mystic Dunes (Palms Country Club) on a 2BR L/O (week 17), then a few years ago, we were conned into buying points & changing over our original purchase to the Points system with "THE CLUB". Since then, as like most of you, our fees have shot up to a totally unmanageable level... We still owe money ($3700) on "THE CLUB" points purchase and was looking for some advise for what to do in regards to contacting the Loss Mitigation Dept. Based on what I've been reading, it appears as though I would have to pay that balance off, prior to contacting Loss Mitigation. Looking for some advise as the maintenance & assessment fees are going to be coming out shortly for 2018. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Unfortunately, the balance must be paid off before they'll even consider taking it back. I'd suggest starting the process as soon as possible so you can at least recover the 2018 fees.

Also, this thread might be relevant since you have a THE CLUB membership:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/loss-mitigation-is-a-mess.246612/

Basically, you'll want to make sure THE CLUB account is actually closed afterwards.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Beyond frustrated right now. Was told by DRI that my takeback was accepted and the title company would get documents to me within 30 to 60 days. (see my post at the top of this page). Well, nothing yet. so I went back and read the e-mail from DRI....the second reply said 30 to 60 BUSINESS days....so that brings me to mid-October. At least I got my (hopefully) last week at the resort. The a/c broke our second night....and it stayed broken for 3 or 4 days. They allowed us to use the unit next door to sleep.....we refused to repack, unpack, repack, etc. It was a crazy week, as Irma was creeping its way up Florida. A usually empty week at the resort seemed full towards the end of the week with people fleeing southern Florida. We got out just in time.

I really hate this waiting game, but don't really want to contact DRI again....maybe next week.

izzymail

Reaction score
I had a completely different issue with DRI and got the run around as well. I finally got their attention with a Better Business Bureau complaint. That BBB profile seems to be monitored by someone who has some ability to get things resolved. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi All,

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! It changed my life!

For those trying to escape a Mystic Dunes Timeshare... A new report (and sorry if this was already posted).

I can now say that it is really possible to get rid of a Mystic Dunes LLC Timeshare! I am free and clear.

This Osceola County FL link (which sometimes works):

https://www.osceolaclerk.com

Leads to this Osceola County FL Search link:

http://198.140.240.30/or_web1/or_sch_1.asp

I know, you can't trust a random link on a BBS from some unknown person.

On the Osceola County FL search page, try searching for "Mystic Dunes LLC", date range being 9/1/17 - 10/1/17. Then please notice how many DRI Quit-Claim Deeds are in there.

My Title Attorney told me that once I found my Quit-Claim Deed there, it's legal proof that I am free and clear of the Mystic Dunes Timeshare.

Thank you everyone for this thread - I am now free of Diamond Maintenance Fees!

It it really possible.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Oh Joy!! Oh Joy!!:banana::banana:

Finally received my paperwork for my deedback to Diamond Resorts!

My timeline so far:

July 27, 2017: Stumbled across this thread while doing a google search on how to get rid of a Diamond Resorts timeshare

July 31, 2017, 2:00 p.m.: Following the instructions from somewhere in this thread, I emailed DRI (lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com) with the subject line of 'Inventory Takeback Request"

July 31, 2017: Received an e-mail from DRI indicating they do not have a voluntary surrender program, but relinquishment requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and after reviewing my account, they have approved my request. I do not have a mortgage or any outstanding fees or dues. Was told I would have to pay $250 for transfer fees (fine by me).

August 11, 2017: started getting anxious, as I had not received any paperwork (the original e-mail did say it could take up to 60 days to receive documents), so e-mailed loss mitigation again to ask for more info. They responded a few hours later saying it could take up to 60 BUSINESS days.

October 11, 2017: Received the documents via FedEx. 4 sheets of paper total. One letter of explanation; a two-page document (special warranty deed) to be filled out and notarized; a one page letter of instruction. Also, a pre-paid FedEx envelope.

I cannot express how relieved I am to be almost done with this. thank you to ALL that have posted such helpful information here. I'll post again when I can no longer log into my DRI account.

tstora

Reaction score
Congratulations! I told you it'd come eventually ;) It's definitely nerve wracking to wait months when others seemingly wait only a few days to get their paperwork, but I guess the title company handling Florida timeshares is inundated with requests. Make sure to request a refund if you happened to prepay the 2018 maintenance fees.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and just think..all these recent folks could have paid an upfront fee "exit" company thousands of dollars to do what they did themselves for free just by finding TUG and this thread!

not only are you out of your DRI ownership, but you didnt fall victim to another common scam in doing so.

Reaction score
nomoretslt:

As far as I know, with limited legal real estate knowledge...

A signed "special warranty deed" is legal proof that you own it

A signed "quit-claim deed", is legal proof that you don't own it anymore.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

mjhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Puerto Vallarta
Yup, that it is. We "completed" our relinquishment last month (it was a points-only....no deed hassel, thank heavens). In addition to that lovely sight online (looks just like yours!), we received an email confirming the process was completed. Pretty unceremonious, considering all the hoopla that went into getting us signed up to begin with. :D