TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky - DRI now accepting deedbacks - Give back your Diamond Resorts Timeshare

Discussion in 'Diamond Resorts International / Embarc Resorts' started by TUGBrian, Mar 19, 2015.

?

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

1. Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

123 vote(s)
    93.2%
  2. No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

folks have reported everything from a month...to many many months unfortunately.

2. 2Times

2Times Guest

My wife and I started the process on 01/02/2018. We finally received the final paperwork from Diamond Resorts last week. The paperwork from them was dated 05/22/2018. It took many phone calls to follow up with them on a regular basis. I documented each and every discussion. You will have to initiate contact. They will not contact you. We now need to get the paperwork notarized and return a check for $250.00 for the "Recovery and Recording" fee. We have owned with them for nearly 20 years and have gotten our "money's worth" and now is the time to give it up.

TUGBrian likes this.
  3. getmoreveggies

getmoreveggies TUG Member

Can anyone help me understand why DRI charges future dues, which we will have no usage rights to? Applied for Transitions 6/3, received email 6/4 stating must pay 2018-Q4 dues.
    MGV owner, even year points, current use period 09/01/2016-08/31/2018, points expire 08/31/2018. Paid 2018-Q3 dues, so paid through end of current usage term.
    (I mean, will pay it just to get out. Still, Diamond's requirement seems unethical, and quite possibly illegal?)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. dward51

dward51 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Diamond Resorts Isle of Bali II
    Update on our deed back....

We sent the notarized & witnessed deed along with a $250 check last week (we had a deeded week from a resort DRI bought out and not points membership). Yesterday I received my green confirmation of delivery copy of the USPS certified mail back and today the $250 check shows it was cashed by DRI and is cleared in my bank account. I just checked my DRI online account and it's still active. I will check it again in a few days but we should be done.

Another tip is a lot of counties/states where deeded resorts are located have free online deed viewing. I know my home resort was recorded and visible as I had previously downloaded a PDF (but still had the originals as well). I'm going to check there next week to look for my deed back to be recorded and that will be an absolute confirmation we are free of the DRI ownership. Might be something to check if someone has a deeded unit they are returning to inventory, but results will vary depending on the availability where the deed is recorded. Ours was recorded originally in Orange County, FL and I just check for the deed back. It has not yet been recorded (I would believe since the property is deeded and in Orange County, FL, DRI would have to record the deed back there as well).

5. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    I would like to confirm that this program is still available for giving points back to DRI. If so, that is great news and TUG once again proves to be an invaluable resource.

My situation is as follows: My aunt and uncle are Platinum level members and own 62,500 points. Their kids do not want to inherit the points, so my aunt and uncle want to get rid of them. Admittedly they made a huge investment by buying them and thinking the kids would use some and then inherit them longer term. They are older now and aren't traveling like they used to, but they feel that they have gotten their value out of their ownership over the years. They would sell them if they could, but based on what I have seen on redweek the points don't appear to have much, if any, value. I only saw two packages both of which were given away.

So, this Transitions program seems to be the answer. Interestingly enough, they called DRI to ask about deeding the points back to them. The response was that they don't do that. As I read in one post in this thread, it appears that this program isn't widely known by their employees.

They also spoke with the Timeshare Exit Team. I know what you're thinking. I was too. They want $10,000 to get rid of the points and they said it could take a couple years to do so. So, A & U would have to continue paying the MF's. All in, probably $40k. Of course, I told them that they should not pay anyone up front for this.

I would appreciate any insights you may have.

Best regards.

Mike

TUGBrian likes this.
  6. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

what sort of input would you like to provide?

they could either pay $250 and give them back to DRi...or pay $10,000 to some upfront fee company to give them back to DRI for them. That company knows full well owners can simply give back unwanted DRI points, they are simply trying to milk your relatives for 10 grand.

7. mjm1

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    I mainly wanted to confirm that the Transitions program is still active. I take it that it is. The only other input may be whether I misinterpreted the resale market for DRI points. Not likely, but I don’t want to assume anything.

Thanks.

Mike

TUGBrian likes this.
  8. janej

janej Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Are they still doing it? I've been trying to give away my 3 bedroom week at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas Resort. Just sent the first email. Hope they will take it back.

TUGBrian likes this.
  9. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

You're being very optimistic on the part about DRI handling this deed-back quickly. Sure, you have received the USPS green card back. Sure, they received and cashed your check. DRI does nothing quickly when it comes to handling deed transfers and deed-backs. It usually takes months to see it removed from your account. I also doubt you're going to see the re-deeding on the County's website any time soon. You've done your part; now, it's the waiting game for it all to be over.

Many posts have alluded to a long wait on this thread. I let a friend of mine know about this deed-back program of Diamonds. She was successful in extricating herself from their clutches. It was many months though before it was all over.

Yes, you should be "done" on your end, but be patient with things being finalized on Diamond's end or you will become utterly frustrated by checking your Diamond account and the County's website at this point. I would love for you to post otherwise. It would be a definite anomaly if it's less than months of waiting.

Congratulations!

TUGBrian likes this.
  10. Hercules325

Hercules325 TUG Member

Here's my update for giving back my annual deeded 1-bedroom unit at Kaanapali Beach Club. Transaction is now complete.

Submitted request on-line through DiamondResorts.com website on 5/31/18. There's a tab called Transitions after you log in.
    Received acceptance confirmation on 5/31 - less than an hour later.
    Received title docs on 6/19
    Fed Exp docs back on 6/21 with $250 check
    Check cashed 6/28
    No on-line access 7/17/18

mjm1, Panina and TUGBrian like this.
  11. mjm1

Resorts Owned:
    Hercules thanks for the update and congratulations.

My aunt and uncle are going to try again in October after they have used all of their reserved trips for the current year. Apparently that was a sticking point for them when DRI rejected their request. Hopefully it goes through the next time.

Best regards.

Mike