TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky - Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Exchanges With Each Other

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by swift, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

when posting a direct exchange ad, it specifically asks you to enter what you own...and then enter what you want. While it is possible some folks get this switched, after going thru posting a test ad...im not sure what else we can do to make it more clear and in looking at the ads themselves, im not sure how one would identify any that are "backwards".

the only thing I do see in ads is in the description some folks type in what they want...and some enter a description of what they own...but in ALL ads...the details for what the owner is looking for is detailed at the bottom of the ad below the description (regardless of what is in the description). here is an example of this (at least I think thats what we are talking about)

upload_2017-5-11_1-50-35.png

note that the member both mentions what they own mixed in with what they want...and i can see how this might be confusing to someone looking at the ad...but it does clearly state at the bottom that the owner "wants to exchange for" those 3 critera listed...and anyone that has a direct exchange ad that matches any of those 3 critera would have been sent an email the moment this ad was posted.

The system wasnt setup to search for the parts of ads people "want"...the system is setup to automatically notify you when that match exists (you will get an email).

every ad has this already, but the "searching" for what people want isnt necessary because you are already notified via email if your exchange matches an ad.

I dont think there is any solution for a way to ensure you get value for your trade, its human nature for everyone to want to "Trade up"...however unfortunately there is simply no way for this to happen in any system because for every person who trades up, someone has to accept a trade down.

if you have units available, what is keeping you from posting them as direct exchange ads?

2. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

same question. if you have units available...what is keeping you from posting them as direct exchange ads? I am missing what the downside is here? Is it just not worth taking the time to post an ad? Do folks think there is a cost involved? Do you feel its going to take away an ad credit? (note that exchange ads and wish ads do not require ad credits, you can post as many as you like)

3. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    Elements of the case study, from my perspective:
    • I'm not entirely convinced I want to trade. I'm sufficiently curious to check for interest against my holdings -- but that is my limit.
    • Some of my holdings are vague (points).
    • I have zero tolerance for responding to lookie-loo inquiries against my vague holdings. I'd rather target my interests and initiate the conversation if someone is specifically looking for something I can book with my points and their offering is appealing to me.
    Short version: I want to initiate the potential trade conversation.

4. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

ok, i went thru every direct exchange ad and sent a message to each member who had posted an ad that did NOT have what they were looking for filled out and instructed them to edit their ads to input this information.

perhaps we need to make it setup so that if someone fails to input anything in the "what i am looking for" section, it just defaults to they are looking for any timeshare, anywhere, anytime.

5. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

understandable, and by posting a direct exchange ad...you are not obligated to actually make a trade...or give your week to TUG. you are merely setting up the ability to be notified of potential matches and nothing more.
    points can be listed, or you can post floating weeks at a popular resort you know you can book etc (or both)...its just as flexible as the marketplace..and requires no ad credits.
    when a match is made, you are sent an email notifying you of the match and directed to the other persons exchange ad and you can send that person a message if you wish (or not, if you have a change of heart). vs incoming messages, you can choose to ignore or delete as you wish...there is no requirement to reply if you dont want to.

im not sure we've had any complaints from folks who have literally been overwhelmed with messages in the marketplace, but I can understand not wanting to tell someone you arent interested in making a trade with them over and over.

I get thousands of emails every day, and answer hundreds of them directly...im not sure I am the right person to fully comprehend this particular complaint though as im happy to reply to folks who ask questions (even if they are complaints!) =)

6. bradfordHI

bradfordHI TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
    2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
    T

Is this a forum or are you trying to become an exchange company. Horrible idea!!!!!

7. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, & Pinestead Reef
    I think it's wonderful that this forum offers another avenue to exchange our timeshare thru, and the fact that its FREE is all the better... Thank you TUG.

TUGBrian likes this.
  8. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

yea, im a bit confused at that comment as well.

*shrug...everyone is entitled to an opinion!

9. bradfordHI

bradfordHI TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
    2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
    It's a bunch of us that have opinions. I would rather have a company over See exchanges. There are so many problems that could happen. I'm all for saving 200 dollars but 1 nightmare travel exchange or scam will and has broken so many people.

Be careful if your gonna trust some random person on the internet.

Ohhh. I have an uncle in Nigeria that died and left me 200 million dollars. All I need is $10,000 to pay the attorney. Can anyone help me out.
    Just a joke. But point made.

10. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

the post quoted was from nearly 10 years ago, I dont think TUG is in any risk of "becoming an exchange company".

we merely provide alternatives for folks who dont want to deal with exchange companies, or pay those fees.

Sugarcubesea, vacationdoc and klpca like this.
  11. sue1947

sue1947 TUG Member

Your point made is that you really don't understand direct exchanges. The whole Nigerian uncle thing has no similarity to how this works. Before commenting, you should educate yourself on how it all works.

Sue

Canuck40 likes this.