TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Sun Pass Fraud Scam

Discussion in 'US - Florida Timesharing' started by TheTimeTraveler, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TheTimeTraveler

TheTimeTraveler TUG Member

The State of Florida has announced that someone has been sending out emails to say that the owners Sun Pass account is overdue and a payment needs to be made. Apparently people have been believing this and making payments that were really not needed. Obviously these payments are not going to the State of Florida.

The true Florida Sun Pass system will only send out past due notices via the U.S. Mail, and NOT via email.

I am posting this in an effort to prevent any TUG member (or anyone else for that matter) from being scammed.

Should you need further information, please Google "Sun Pass Scam".

2. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    Would be nice if Florida arranged for its toll roads to accept out-of-state toll transponders (e.g., E-Z Pass, etc.), so that vacationers could zip through the toll points using automatic toll-payment devices from back home.

It couldn't be all that complicated to make the change. Just a few computer settings on the toll system's main computer would add major serious convenience for Florida vacationers from other states.

( Just saying. )

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

3. TheHolleys87

TheHolleys87 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC Boardwalk Villas, Shell Hawaii Club
    silentg and AwayWeGo like this.
  4. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

How can a SunPass account be past due when they take an amount from a credit card on file to maintain a minimum balance?

AwayWeGo and silentg like this.
  5. TheTimeTraveler

TheTimeTraveler TUG Member

This is exactly why it is a scam! You're smart enough to avoid it. Others aren't and end up transferring funds to some off shore location and forever loose their hard earned money.

AwayWeGo and silentg like this.
  6. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    [better one below]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:09 AM
  7. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    But not the Florida Turnpike and many extensions that you need to take to get there.
    E-Pass Xtra ($18.50+tax) from the C.Fla. Expwy Auth. works on both SunPass + EZ Pass roads.
    AFAIK, its the only one that does. See: https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/about-e-pass/

TheHolleys87 and AwayWeGo like this.
  8. boris-bear

boris-bear TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    VV@P(FL), Kingsgate(VA), Umbrella Beach (FL), Suites@Hershey(PA), Longboat Bay (FL)
    North Carolina’s pass (called “QuickPass”) works in all EZPass states and in Georgia and Florida as well in “Sun Pass” zones as well as “E-Pass zones” (I.e all over the state) and has for several years.

I have one even though I live in Virginia because it is more versatile that way. Getting one is easy though the mail and everything related to the account is done online.

I don’t find myself on Georgia toll roads much but have used it numerous times in Florida in in both Orlando area and in the Tampa area. I think there may be a few local toll bridges in a few places in Florida that aren’t a part of the system but I have yet to encounter one.

I used it last week on 417 (the eastern Orlando beltway) and noticed that the middle tolls (“the CFX” ones)now showed that they accepted EZPass but the first and last tolls (which are not run by Central florida Expressway authority I guess) did not accept it, although my NC-issued quick pass worked fine as always. It’s a muddle as to why one agency in the state (or sadly even in one region)can figure it out but that is the nature of independent public authorities sometimes.

My NC pass working everywhere proves it’s not a technology issue—rather a governance one. Hopefully the rest of the agencies in Florida can figure out the governance details to allow true EZPass soon.

9. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Even better - eliminate toll roads!

10. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...

11. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

I disagree entirely. We need more toll roads. Tolling is the best way to ensure that the people who benefit from the road pay for the road. Toll roads reduce the burden on the gas tax, allowing more money to go into maintenance and upgrade on local streets.

theo and chapjim like this.
  12. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    I totally disagree with your position for several reasons but let me start with the bolded point, T_R.
    On a recent vacation, we traveled the corridor throughout the east coast including a stretch on I-95 starting near DC and going north, eventually into upstate New York. That little foray set us back something close to $25 in tolls one way if memory serves correctly.

There is NO way a passenger automobile takes out that kind of wear and tear on pavement - no way to justify the exorbitant tolls being charged on these roads. The various authorities that run toll roads have grown into another government bureaucracy - so large and inefficient that I would be curious to see how much of a toll dollar goes toward road maintenance and repair versus salaries for toll authority bureaucrats and toll gate workers.

And it is worth mentioning that tolls are another form of regressive taxation.

13. tombanjo

tombanjo TUG Member

many toll roads are privatized, meaning they are a government authorized monopoly granted to a for profit company. The public benefit is the least consideration in these schemes.

In any case, in Florida, they have toll by plate, so if you don't have sun pass, you drive through the toll booth or toll sensor and then need to go online to pay your tolls. So it is conceivable you would get an email indicating you had an outstanding toll to pay. They say they mail these, however, whenever my credit card is charged, I get a sun pass email. So to get an email from Sun Pass would not be bizarre.

Like most other scams, if you think something needs to be done with your account, go to your saved link rather than the link in any email to verify the information.

14. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

I would note that it's not just wear and tear, it's also the cost of infrastructure. Just like when you pay your utility bills - the cost of the water or electrons or gas that comes through the meter is only a small part of the bill.

And if regressive taxation is a reason not to charge tolls, then by equal measure we should not collect gasoline sales tax, since sales taxes are the most regressive tax mechanisms.

And that's as much as I'm going to say on the topic. I'm not going to reply any further this is not the place for debates on public policy. :) We can just agree to disagree.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 2:46 AM