• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunday Check-In

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about a unit with a Sunday check-in day? Do you find it difficult to rent?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, I had one in the Wisconsin Dells and yes it was hard to rent. I rented it once in three years and then I got rid of it. I ended out depositing the weeks that didn't rent so it still worked out alright. I live really close to the resort too so I also had day usage.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sunday can be a slightly harder to rent as for fly to locations the first choice would probably be Sat-Sat with Fri-Fri being second and Sun-Sun last. To more local drive to locations Fri-Fri is usually the most popular probably with Sat-Sat slightly edging out Sun-Sun. On the other hand sometimes something like a $10-20 discount on the week is all some need to take a Sun-Sun vs other weekend check in dates.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, because in many cases it requires the guest to take Monday off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, because in many cases it requires the guest to take Monday off

I dont understand this... If you work, dont you have to take every day of your vacation off? and wouldnt a Friday check in require taking Friday off?

My opinion is that there are enough people renting vacation accommodations,m that every day is a bad check in day for some of them. and everyday is a good check in day for others.

I met someone that made their living renting partial weeks at a beach resort. weekends were more expensive than the weekdays. Most weekends got rented to families where the adults worked a 9-5 and had weekend off. and most of the weekdays got rented to retired folks who wanted to avoid the kids and appreciated the cheaper weekday prices

Ive been told that tuesday and wednesday check ins are most popular for Hawaii, as air fare is cheaper mid week

I know in san francisco a lot of rentals go to business people in town for meetings. If they rent a week, a Sunday check in works fine

My point is that there is a market for everything, you just have to find the right group for what you have to offer. and market to them

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have checked in on Sundays, makes for a whole weekend at the end of trip. Friday’s and Saturday’s are good too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In Hawaii, Saturday is the most popular check in day. Nearly all flights to the Midwest and east coast are red eyes, so if check out is Sunday,and you have a red eye Sunday night, you will arrive home Monday morning and want to take Monday off.

Even the flights to the west coast primarily land late in the evening 10-12 pm, making it difficult to go to work Monday. So yes, for people with a 7 day vacation, Saturday is the most popular, because every other check out day requires 8 days off from work.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The Dells is often a weekend destination for a lot of people in Chicago and the Sunday check-in didn't work for that. Plus the Dells has a lot of competition for units so I couldn't rent the weekend for enough to cover the MF's. I didn't think it would be an issue when I accuired the unit but most of the inquiries I had for it asked if it could be changed to a Saturday check-in.

As for Hawaii, my resort has either a Wednesday or Saturday check-in and Saturday is chosen 85% of the time. When I do get bookings for Wednesday the renter just about always says it's for cheaper airfare. I have done that myself twice and I just don't find it to be worth it. I saved about $250 but I really only had one full work week off because of leaving during the middle of the week. We've stuck with Saturday check-in's for years now. I've been renting Hawaii for 8 years now.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We own Sunday check-in timeshares. We like that we have Saturday off from work allowing us to pack and get ready and so on.

Friday or Saturday check ins I do not like because of not having that day before off- or having to use an extra vacation day if I want it to pack and get ready. It is nice upon check-out because then you have the day(s) after off.

However, when we fly somewhere or even when we rent a place within driving distance we do tend to book a Saturday check-in. Coming back from a long distance trip that requires flying I do like having the next day (Sunday) off to get organized and unpacked before starting the work week.

Sometimes, with our Sunday check-outs, I will take the following Monday off, but lately I have not had enough PTO time with all my vacation plans so I bite the bullet and head back out to work on Monday.

Another thing we have noticed over the years is a lot more traffic coming home on Sundays (wknd travellers in the mix) on the road and I have lately been commenting that it would have been nice to have a Saturday check-in and check-out for that reason. But our buildings are both Sundays.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sunday check-ins have been easy rentals for me. I also prefer Sunday since airfare has been less expensive for us compared to Saturday departures.

I think you need to differentiate between drive-to and fly-to locations.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
For full week vacations, I prefer Saturday or Sunday checkin. With Friday a check-in I either have to take Friday off or check in late and lose a whole day of my vacation.

If it's a Saturday or Sunday check in I can arrive early and get my vacation started on day 1.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Sat is first and Sun is second. The reason most travelers prefer Sat is they have Friday evening to get ready to go and then they have Sunday to unwind before back to work and/or school. This is especially true for families. We have many kids and we actually don't mind a Sun to Sun but we will leave in the afternoon on Saturday and get back Sat night. This way we do not have to rush for the 10:00am checkout.

That said, I do not have any trouble renting out Sunday check-ins but if I have a choice I pick all Saturdays when I reserve.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think Sat is first and Sun is second. The reason most travelers prefer Sat is they have Friday evening to get ready to go and then they have Sunday to unwind before back to work and/or school. This is especially true for families. We have many kids and we actually don't mind a Sun to Sun but we will leave in the afternoon on Saturday and get back Sat night. This way we do not have to rush for the 10:00am checkout.

That said, I do not have any trouble renting out Sunday check-ins but if I have a choice I pick all Saturdays when I reserve.

A lot of people with Sunday check-outs do that- leave Saturday night. But we kind of like the melancholy feeling of our last night at our home resorts and try to enjoy that night to the fullest. We also used to wait until the last minute to check out on Sunday, but traffic since 9/11 (less people flying) in NY (going home from our New England timeshares) has gotten crazy on Sundays, so we sadly, have to leave extremely early- like 6:30 or 7 in the morning for the 6 hour ride home. But at least we have the rest of the day to unpack and go through mail and get organized for the long work week ahead.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I don't know about renting because I tend to use or exchange my weeks, I haven't rented them out.

But for my owner personal use I like Saturday checkin for my ownerships in California because driving from Vegas to California on Sunday to begin a vacation is brutal. On Sundays, the traffic of all the people leaving Vegas to go home for the weekend clogs up the freeways. I like Saturday because even though there's some traffic from California on our way back home on Saturday, there's less than there is Friday or Sunday.
General rule: Never drive to Vegas from SoCal Friday night and never drive back to Socal from Vegas Sunday afternoon.

For my NOLA ownership I can choose either Friday or Sunday checkin. There are different reasons to choose either and I try to line them up with special events or school holidays. But either of those options give the best weekends because traveling on a Saturday both ways means you miss both weekends. We go to CA so often and I like to avoid weekend crowds so Sat travel is no big deal for CA for me. But I hate to miss a weekend in NOLA when I have to fly there! The weekends are a big deal and I don't want to miss out.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Before we retired we preferred Saturday Check in so that we would have a day to recover before going back to work. Now we prefer any day of the week check in.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For some families, Sunday to Sunday works well because if the kids have sports (or other commitments, like my daughter's drama schedule,) it means missing just one practice/rehearsal/game vs. two.