• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about this bug

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
8AEF1B46-05ED-4EA9-8AE5-9C6726A01E79.jpeg AC63FEF3-EAAA-4413-8ADB-A773361EE53A.jpeg 2B62D92A-54AF-493F-96B2-CB4E1ECCC234.jpeg It is winter here but i keep finding this kind of bug-especially in the bedroom by windows and on bedspreads. They generally crawl but can fly. It is dark on top with antenna and legs and kind of a white color under neath. i thought these were “stink bugs” but since i keep finding them i am beginning to wonder.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
They look like stink bugs.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes thats what i thought but we have killed about 25 between the 4 bedrooms and in the previous 20 years never even had one. So I am confused.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It's what's called a brown marmorated stink bug, native to eastern Asia. It's a serious agricultural pest in the Eastern U.S., attacking apples, apricots, Asian pears, cherries, corn, grapes, peaches, tomatoes, and soybeans. It has no native predators. Since you seem to have a colony of them, I suggest you contact your local county ag department to find out if they have a service to remove them. They're overwintering in your home before they head to colonize and create damage to crops.

iu

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Yep . . . run of the mill stink bugs :)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yuck! And now you have me looking around to make sure no hairy millipede bug is creeping up on me. Never saw one before moving into this house seven years ago, and I swear the damn things come in pairs. We won't see one for months, then we find two in 24 hours. Little suckers can run like the wind too when they know you're after them. I've seen one in my doctor's waiting room, and one in a customer's house -- of course I worry that the one crawled out of my purse and one was in the tools or boxes we carried in because each was within a couple feet of me when I noticed them. Got a round of applause at the doctor's office for stomping on it, and at the customer's I cleaned the smashed carcass up before she saw it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have those bugs all over, they get in to everything in the fall trying to keep warm over the winter. We have opened boxes that we thought were sealed in the garage and found dead ones in them. Though they don't creep me out as much as these suckers do.
images.jpg

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Yes thats what i thought but we have killed about 25 between the 4 bedrooms and in the previous 20 years never even had one. So I am confused.

We got them big time the last year we lived in Pennsylvania. They seemed to come in cycles and we guessed they must have laid eggs in the Fall when the weather started getting cooler. I would pick them up in a tissue and flush them down the toilet rather than squash them and have them stink. The occasional palmetto bug we get in our house here in Florida, always in our bathroom, didn't come as quite as big of a shock after putting up with those stink bugs. Although getting up in the night to use the bathroom and seeing a big old palmetto bug still grosses me out.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We got them big time the last year we lived in Pennsylvania. They seemed to come in cycles and we guessed they must have laid eggs in the Fall when the weather started getting cooler. I would pick them up in a tissue and flush them down the toilet rather than squash them and have them stink. The occasional palmetto bug we get in our house here in Florida, always in our bathroom, didn't come as quite as big of a shock after putting up with those stink bugs. Although getting up in the night to use the bathroom and seeing a big old palmetto bug still grosses me out.
I hate those Palmetto bugs. The first time I saw one in SC I scream the hugest cockroach I ever seen. To me they are cockroaches called by another name in the south.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I hate those Palmetto bugs. The first time I saw one in SC I scream the hugest cockroach I ever seen. To me they are cockroaches called by another name in the south.

The first time I ever saw a Palmetto Bug (huge cockroach) was about 40 yrs ago when DH & I used his parents RV which was stored in FL. Another family member had used it 2 mos before we did & left a part loaf of bread in the cupboard. There must have been at least 2 dozen of those gross things in the trailer! I woke up one night with one crawling up my arm! It was the worst vacation I've ever had. We bought our first timeshare that same week -the only good part of the vacation!

We are currently in Belize and those darn things are here too! The other night I was sitting at the kitchen table in our apartment when something caught my eye across the room. A Palmetto bug was wiggling out from under the baseboard and then started heading in my direction. I threw a paper towel over it then stomped on it. I shot some bug spray under the baseboard in case it had any friends in there.

We were told by a local here to keep the plugs in all the drains as the bugs will come up the drain system. Yuck!!

~Diane

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have found a handful of scorpions around the year in our 4th storey condo. EEEEK. They come in through the drain system as well. I think one of our cats got stung next to the butt a few months ago. Nasty huge open wound about size of a quarter, recovered after many vet visits, injections and daily applications of cream. My husband spotted one outside our shower about a week ago. I had just walked out of the shower and he asked if I saw that brown thing. First look I said it was strange as it looked like a bee within a spider web. He reached for a tissue and that was when I said it could be a scorpion curled up and might be alive. He went to pick it up and it started moving fast. I stepped on it with my slippers and squished it well. That is one huge downside of living in scorpion country.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We have found a handful of scorpions around the year in our 4th storey condo. EEEEK. They come in through the drain system as well. I think one of our cats got stung next to the butt a few months ago. Nasty huge open wound about size of a quarter, recovered after many vet visits, injections and daily applications of cream. My husband spotted one outside our shower about a week ago. I had just walked out of the shower and he asked if I saw that brown thing. First look I said it was strange as it looked like a bee within a spider web. He reached for a tissue and that was when I said it could be a scorpion curled up and might be alive. He went to pick it up and it started moving fast. I stepped on it with my slippers and squished it well. That is one huge downside of living in scorpion country.

We occasionally get a scorpion in the house. First thing that we do is to get a scissors and either snip it in the middle or snip off its stinger.

When you say that they come through the drain system, do you mean like through the plumbing pipes and out of sinks?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We occasionally get a scorpion in the house. First thing that we do is to get a scissors and either snip it in the middle or snip off its stinger.

When you say that they come through the drain system, do you mean like through the plumbing pipes and out of sinks?
Yes.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was working our insect terminator control person said that we had German cockroaches in the bathroom. A cockroach is still a cockroach small or large in opinion.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have those bugs all over, they get in to everything in the fall trying to keep warm over the winter. We have opened boxes that we thought were sealed in the garage and found dead ones in them. Though they don't creep me out as much as these suckers do.
View attachment 5356

Gack, that's it! Now I feel like something's crawling on me as well as you've made me check the walls and ceiling again!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spotted two stinkbugs inside my TV! They were walking across the screen. I'll just have to leave them in there. I hope they die. If they find their way out, I will pinch them to death.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spotted two stinkbugs inside my TV! They were walking across the screen. I'll just have to leave them in there. I hope they die. If they find their way out, I will pinch them to death.
Is the a flat screen or an old tube type? I know, stupid question. I don't see how they can get inside a flat screen tv.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 5356
But what bug is it? It is creeeeeeepy. I had seen millipedes but they were black.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
House Centipede
Scientific Name: Scutigera coleoptrata
More EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK... I grew up with centipedes (they don't look exactly like your pic) everywhere around the house - we lived in a shophouse, kind of hard to explain... Centipedes were supposed to be poisonous and many of the ones we found were humongous, some as long as 6 to 8 inches. We killed them with flipflops or sandals, whatever we were wearing or could get our hands on. I used to play on my father's bed and one time, I found a centipede in a corner of the bed. My father used to store stuff for his business under the bed so it was quite filthy. Let's say I had a traumatized childhood.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The first year we had stink bugs I would take them outside and release them. For everyone I took out, it seemed like 2 got back in. They were bad for a few years. We don't have as many now a days. I flush them down the toilet.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen these stink bugs at a brother's home in Massachusetts. He claims never to have seen them before this year and he is a very observant guy. Have never seen them in Maine. Perhaps like opossum, maybe they are moving north into areas previously beyond their historical range. Maybe just more invasive Asian insect "arrival", I frankly dunno. :shrug:

I do like like that "marmorated" adjective in their name however, as pointed out by Walnut Baron above --- even if the little buggers are pests and stink. ;)

Last edited: