TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Thank goodness for insurance !

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by sun starved Gayle, Jul 11, 2018.

1. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

Ironically, I know at our facility if someone does not have insurance we charge the Medicare rate, which is lower than most of the private insurance compnany rates or what a true private rate would be.

VacationForever likes this.
  2. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Yes. I tripped over a vacuum cleaner when I was young and broke my foot. I also ran through a sliding glass door thinking it was open- cutting my leg and hand.

I fell off curbs- twice- and also stepped out of a car once and twisted my foot on gravel- spraining my ankle in those instances.

Two years ago I also missed a curb stepping up outside our office and dislocated my ring finger.

Anything can happen at any time when you least expect it.

clifffaith likes this.
  3. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    pending Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    sun starved Gayle likes this.
  4. JanT

JanT TUG Member

OMG! How scary!! I'm so glad your husband is doing well. How terrible for him and for you!

And yes, thank goodness for insurance!! Many years ago our daughter was gravely ill; we almost lost her. Good medical treatment, prayers (including those from TUGGERS) and the mercy of God she survived. The final hospital bill alone was $275,000. Combined with all the other costs the bill was close to $400K. She paid a total of $4K out of her pocket. I thank God every day she is still alive and healthy, and that she had health insurance.

5. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I led boy scout high adventure trips into the Adirondaks. We had two injuries over the years that necessitated taking the kids off the trek. Both happened late in the day on easy sections of trail right after areas considered challenging.

VacationForever and mpumilia like this.
  6. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I went on a guided hike up Mt. Mansfield in VT once and though I was in the best shape of my life, I had a really hard time keeping up with everyone. I almost couldn't go another step (cardio wise) when we got to the part where we had to jump over crevices. One of the poor guides had to stay behind the group with me.

I asked him what would we do if I couldn't make it up. He told me he would have to get a helicopter. Thankfully, I made it and was never injured.

VacationForever likes this.
  7. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

That is a great hike. We have done it a couple times up the Hells Brook Trail.

One of our boys did get a helicopter ride. The year before I took over he fell down an embankment and hit his head. The next year I have a goof ball fall against a bank and catch his little finger on a root. He walked 9 miles with a little finger that was very close to his wrist (dislocated). Shall we say being a boy scout high adventure coordinator is never dull.

I have no idea how the helicopter ride was billed , but never heard any complaints from the parents.

mpumilia and VacationForever like this.
  8. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

So which would you rather- Be bankrupt, or dead? I'll take bankruptcy every time. It kinda reminds me of an old Jack Benny bit.... A robber sticks him up and says, "Your money or your life!" Benny pauses and then when the robber asks again, "Well--", and Benny replies, "I'M THINKING!!"

9. puppymommo

puppymommo TUG Member

We had a case awhile back here in Missouri where a boy suffered a fractured skull. He was airlifted to the hospital. The family had insurance that would have covered most of it, but the helicopter that picked them up wasn't on their insurance, so they were on the hook for about $32,000. When the helicopter comes to take your child with a skull fracture, you don't ask them, "do you take my insurance". You take whatever helicopter arrives! I don't remember how it all worked out.

mpumilia and PamMo like this.
  10. sun starved Gayle

sun starved Gayle TUG Member

It was our primary health insurance. My husband had previously done a trip down the Grand Canyon and called beforehand about taking out additional insurance to cover a medical evacuation. He was told our insurance would cover an air evacuation with a small co-payment and apparently it did. I will report back how this all turned out.

Earlier in the month we were on our annual 3 night raft trip down the Deschutes River in Oregon. This was our 18th year going on this trip with the same five families and we always have a lot of fun. This year on our very first night, the 29 year old son of one of our friends was bit by a rattlesnake on the way to the outhouse. He spent three nights in the hospital. I told my husband we should be expecting a plague of locusts next !

mpumilia, PamMo and CalGalTraveler like this.
  11. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

What a good idea to check beforehand. We never think of such scenarios when traveling in the U.S., only international.

We have Kaiser. They have been great for covering urgent, ambulance, and ER visits when traveling in the U.S. with ailing family members. Wondering if Kaiser would cover evacuations without extra travel insurance in the U.S.

12. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    I agree with both you and Jim, in critical situations you don't stop to think about the potential costs.

Believe the new story i saw about the high costs also touched on situations where the person accepts the air rescue, and then the insurance company decides it was not required. That can be an issue with even a regular ambulance. I know i was surprised at the cost of standard ambulance when my mother fell and hurt herself. Because the hospital treated and released her without admitting her the insurance company decided the ambulance with not required. It was certainly not anywhere near as expensive as a helicopter, but I was not expecting it to cost so much for a short drive.

mpumilia likes this.