• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Best Books of 2017

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the "best books" lists you post. It usually spurs me into reading something. :thumbup:

Hi Egret,

You're welcome. Glad you enjoy the posts.

From the current list, I was not aware of "Killers of the Flower Moon". I tried to order a Nook Version (received a Nook Card for Christmas) but much to my dismay, Barnes and Noble was out of stock for the Nook version. Hopefully, they'll have it back in stock soon.

Richard

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Killers of the Flower Moon is on my list to read too and got a great reviews from a book club friend. From the top 20 list, I've read Beartown and would recommend it. It’s set in a small Scandinavian town and the story centers around what happens when a young girl accuses the local hockey star of assaulting her. It’s from the writer of a Man Called Ove, but quite different in style. I also read The Ministry of Utmost Happiness but getting through it was a slog for me. I liked the author's popular novel from many years ago but this one not so much.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm interested in hearing about your new book.

OMG. The book is so heavy! Weighs a ton! LOL! Have to be careful turning the pages because the book is so "fat". The photography is wonderful. I am enjoying it. Will take me a long while to go through, though I have made a dent in it for sure.

The only thing I would say that I am disappointed in is that for each National Park, in addition to full and half page photos, he includes a page with the same photos- but very tiny versions- and very tiny print next to each one that I can barely read. He chronicles where, when and how he shot the photos in that text.

Also, another thing I do not like is he does not have the larger photos captioned. He just refers to them in his introductory text for each park and you have to flip the page back and forth to refer to what he is describing.

Most of photos that he took are of places in the park that many of us never see. They are off the beaten path, so not recognizable to the average park visitor.

He does have a page for each park where he describes the basic information and the weather in relation to visiting and talking photos, essentially geared towards photography buffs.

A really nice coffee table book to have. Of course, I am always on my search for the next best one. It's an addiction of mine!;)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi Egret,

You're welcome. Glad you enjoy the posts.

From the current list, I was not aware of "Killers of the Flower Moon". I tried to order a Nook Version (received a Nook Card for Christmas) but much to my dismay, Barnes and Noble was out of stock for the Nook version. Hopefully, they'll have it back in stock soon.

Richard
I just recently read Killers Of The Flower Moon. It is excellent, though the author could have dropped the last 75 pages or so. Ultimately, the book reveals the extreme prejudice that existed in our country nearly 100 years ago against Native Americans. The particular people who were being murdered had become wealthy by way of oil and mineral rights on their lands in Oklahoma. Unscrupulous white men were not just jealous, but had intermarried in order to gain access to the great wealth these Native Americans had. Local law enforcement was in the pockets of the whites, and so the murder investigations never went anywhere.

Enter J. Edgar Hoover and the nascent FBI. Hoover appointed a former Texas Ranger to lead the investigation, wherever it might lead.

It is a compelling and well-written story and--although the bad guys are brought to account--still leaves one with a heavy heart for those who suffered and were betrayed.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you, Richard, for publishing these lists. You're a living legend on TUG for always sharing these lists with the rest of us! I recently finished Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, one of the great biographers of our time. There are many fascinating things I learned about Da Vinci through my reading of the book, but I will sum it all up with this one statement: I am convinced that Da Vinci was not only one of the greatest minds in the history of mankind, but his interests and genius cross more disciplines than anyone else. Consider: he produced the two most famous paintings of all time--The Last Supper and Mona Lisa; pursued studies in the disciplines of human anatomy (including his famous and iconic drawing Vitruvian Man; studied birds as a means to better understand flight and flying machines; and produced studies on botany, geology, and even more modern weaponry. In addition to all this, he loved staging theatrical productions, often featuring his latest findings presented in a way that non-geniuses like most of us could receive and understand all he was up to. It is a fascinating read.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just recently read Killers Of The Flower Moon. It is excellent, though the author could have dropped the last 75 pages or so. Ultimately, the book reveals the extreme prejudice that existed in our country nearly 100 years ago against Native Americans. The particular people who were being murdered had become wealthy by way of oil and mineral rights on their lands in Oklahoma. Unscrupulous white men were not just jealous, but had intermarried in order to gain access to the great wealth these Native Americans had. Local law enforcement was in the pockets of the whites, and so the murder investigations never went anywhere.

Enter J. Edgar Hoover and the nascent FBI. Hoover appointed a former Texas Ranger to lead the investigation, wherever it might lead.

It is a compelling and well-written story and--although the bad guys are brought to account--still leaves one with a heavy heart for those who suffered and were betrayed.

+1 for 'Killers of the Flower Moon" - I finally was able to download it on my Nook. I agree with WalnutBaron's review and it was an eye-opener to learn this part of history that I was totally unaware of.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, Richard, for publishing these lists. You're a living legend on TUG for always sharing these lists with the rest of us! I recently finished Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, one of the great biographers of our time. There are many fascinating things I learned about Da Vinci through my reading of the book, but I will sum it all up with this one statement: I am convinced that Da Vinci was not only one of the greatest minds in the history of mankind, but his interests and genius cross more disciplines than anyone else. Consider: he produced the two most famous paintings of all time--The Last Supper and Mona Lisa; pursued studies in the disciplines of human anatomy (including his famous and iconic drawing Vitruvian Man; studied birds as a means to better understand flight and flying machines; and produced studies on botany, geology, and even more modern weaponry. In addition to all this, he loved staging theatrical productions, often featuring his latest findings presented in a way that non-geniuses like most of us could receive and understand all he was up to. It is a fascinating read.

Thanks for the compliment and the update on the Leonardo Da Vinci book by Walter Isaacson. I already have that book downloaded but haven't read it yet and have now moved it up on my reading list.

Best Regards

Richard