• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The ever changing face of timeshare, or how exchange companies became obsolete for me

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In 1998 we bought our first timeshare. A fixed unit/fixed week 2 bedroom lock-off in Las Vegas. The next year we bought a second 2 bedroom week at the same resort. In the beginning, it was great. we'd lock off the units, use the one bedroom sections and deposit the studio sections. Then we'd online shop the studio units with Interval International until we found 1 bedroom (sometimes larger) units at places and times we wanted to travel and we'd make the exchange. Sometimes we'd also exchange the one bedroom sections for upwards of 4 exchanges/year. This worked out great for us and, I assume it was good business for I.I. as we were paying membership dues plus paying multiple exchange fee's.

Fast forward 20 years down the line. We no longer own those fixed unit/fixes weeks. Before we got rid of them, they had been converted to a points based reservations system and were never again deposited with I.I. directly. Instead, they had been used for internal system reservations. Eventually that management company raised the points based membership fee so high that it was no longer economically viable as a vacation option. They made themselves obsolete with what was pure management fee increases (originally the fee was $135 but had increased to $535 within 5 years).

As for the remainder of our "portfolio" of timeshare weeks, we own 2 floating week units that we use every year. They're never exchanged with I.I. or RCI and don't belong to any timeshare system. Both are with minor players in the timeshare management game. We have 3 weeks that are with major hotel branded timeshare management companies and both have internal reservations/exchange options with "reasonable" management fee's for those internal systems. Those weeks never see the light of day with either I.I. or RCI's general exchange population. Instead they are strictly kept with internal reservations within those systems.

So, within 20 years both RCI and I.I. have made themselves or become obsolete for our needs. 20 years ago we made exchanges through the exchange companies for the majority of our travel needs. Today, we have NO external exchanges planned for this year or next. We dropped our RCI membership long ago and, truthfully only ever made one exchange with them before realizing the value wasn't there for us. I.I., on the other hand, had been a valuable part of timesharing for us but, with all the added fee's and increases in exchange fee's coupled with what amounted to discounted options within the timeshare management companies, the priced themselves out of our vacation plans.

What will happen in the next 20 years? Who knows? I foresee a point where MF's alone make timeshare obsolete for us and, with the advent of options such as Airbnb, perhaps it's already obsolete for the generation coming up behind us.

I've seen buy in prices with developers for a single week go from high but manageable, to so expensive management companies had to go to points based sales so they could sell what amounts to partial weeks (selling enough points that you only get a few nights in high or prime seasons). Weeks we paid $18,900 for in 1998 (yes we bought direct from the developer, don't judge me) are now selling north of $70,000 in the same building if you bought enough points for an entire week. The difference is there's no longer any construction overhead for the management company, it's pure greed and pure profit minus the cost of the sales staff and office space. At any rate, much like how the exchange companies priced themselves out of our business, something will eventually have to give. It will either be new owners sucking up the ever increasing prices or management companies going the way of Sears/Kmart. At some point I predict we'll likely get out for more affordable options and what's been a fantastic way for us to travel will give way to the next great, more affordable option. I know many of our friends have already move on to Airbnb. Who knows, maybe we will too?

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I like vacationing at resorts rather than stand alone homes, though we have rented homes on Home Away several times. That said, we pretty much never exchange our fixed weeks. We use them and once in a blue moon we might exchange the one deeded floating week we have through Trading Places or one of the other independent companies.

We left RCI just at the time they converted to the TPU system and it worked well for us because that was about the time our son went to college and we didn't have to worry about his school breaks and so forth when vacationing. Prior to that we only exchanged our floating week to go elsewhere, but not our fixed ones. So we never experienced the TPU system and we never converted to RCI points and we don't use II either.

At some point soon, we might give up our timeshares but right now they still have value for us.

We do rent timeshares from other owners and we also have rented directly from a timeshare resort when we felt the expense was worth it.

If we move to the area where one of our timeshares is located and it is in a community with a pool and gym and activities, then I will give them up and just rent where we want to go in the future.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It’s kind of come full circle. A lot of buyers want fixed weeks now because they like certainty during prime times and can afford to pay for it.
I do agree fixed weeks are making a comeback in the resale market especially prime weeks, in prime locations that have renovated units. Prices have gone up and the inventory is low and non existent in many of the areas I like.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
as one of the newer timeshare owners i can only comment based on the present. To us the exchanges work well and i always see decent inventory (in part thanks to the sighting section). Our problem is limited vacation time and not lack of inventory.

As a Vistana owner though, i think the exchange companies do favor the top developers: priority rules, lower exchange fees, flexibility of deposits and dedicated support teams. I am not sure how people who do not own Vistana, Marriott, Hyatt, HGVC, DVC etc feel, they may experience something different than i do.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doug, maintenance fees are becoming higher and higher every year. When we first started in timesharing over twenty five years ago. We were paying something liked $250 per year in maintenance fees. Exchange fees were liked $29 or $39 for a week vacation. The costs per day was right at $30 per night or less for a seven (7) nights week vacation.

Now we are paying over $1200 a year in maintenance fees plus points. In some hotels and resorts it is cheaper to rent direct from the hotel or resort website or Airbnb. IMHO.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how people who do not own Vistana, Marriott, Hyatt, HGVC, DVC etc feel, they may experience something different than i do.
We feel great about it!! :D I'm getting two weeks in Marriotts on HHI over my daughter's spring break that, even with the II fees, will cost me all in what maybe one week of Marriott MF would be (without the II fees added in.) We got two weeks in Maui and the Big Island over Christmas/New Year's in two bedrooms for again what was probably less than one week of MF at either location.
*pets her small, independent resort*

So, yes, II is getting more expensive, but relative to the MF increases of the branded timeshares that II can get us into, it's still a bargain. But you have to own the right fixed weeks at the right independents at the right time of year.

And if we ever decide we don't want to exchange, or the exchange value is no longer there, we would be happy to stay there every year. Or even give it away, as we have gotten almost 25 years of amazing vacations out of it.