• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The JOY of gifting my timeshare

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I recently decided to change my portfolio of timeshares to be actual weeks I can use. Whereas I really love the timeshares I own, for some I own weeks that I cannot travel due to life changes. I just don't want to deal with trading as much.

I have given two away recently to fellow tuggers. One was to a family with young children. The other to grandparents to use with their grandchildren.

I didn't realize the joy I would feel that my timeshares are going to great people. It's a great feeling to share and others to be happy because of it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sounds like a win win!

always impressed with how the majority of this community shares so much with each other in knowledge and material items!

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't agree more. We, too, have had some changes in our life that limit how and where we can travel and changed our portfolio a bit. I bought one here in NH (not the same place you gave away) for a very reasonable price and then gave one away on Redweek (after having it on TUG for over a month with no takers). The woman I bought from was happy, I was happy to get the resort, the man who received my other resort in CA was happy and I was happy to have given it away to someone who would use it and enjoy it as much as we had and no longer can. Win-win-win on this one! It is really satisfying to make these changes without a tremendous amount of money being spent but with a tremendous amount of joy being shared.

Like Brian said, the beauty of community.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
To play devil's advocate, almost everyone is happy to buy or sell. BUT... you need assess the situation a few years later. Are MFs increasing too much? Special assessments? New owners are unable to use their purchase? New owners are unable to sell it later?

From the seller perspective, maybe the price of the week goes up. You kick yourself for not waiting or selling at a higher price.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
To play devil's advocate, almost everyone is happy to buy or sell. BUT... you need assess the situation a few years later. Are MFs increasing too much? Special assessments? New owners are unable to use their purchase? New owners are unable to sell it later?

From the seller perspective, maybe the price of the week goes up. You kick yourself for not waiting or selling at a higher price.
Interesting points but I was initially very sad to offer my weeks. They were great traders and had given me lots of enjoyment. I tried to use them but times we owned just didn't work. Knowing the family's happiness of getting them is what made me feel the joy.

I probably could have gotten some money for them, I paid for closing too, but decided not to try as I had experienced other tuggers generosity towards me and wanted to do the same. Never will kick myself for giving them away. I always believe give genourously and the energy of the earth returns in a positive way.

WishinIwasFishin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagonita Lodge, Pono Kai
Thank you for sharing such a warm and heartfelt sentiment. We are hoping to be able to do the same thing soon, as our circumstances are changing. I would love to see someone enjoy our T/S as much as we have for the past 20 years!

gafamof4

Reaction score
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I have been looking on this forum for over a year off and on in the bargain section for that perfect week for my family. I have seen how there are a lot of business folks taking ownership of bargain deals on tug lately but please know that there are still families like us who would take great care of that week that has given you such amazing memories over the years. Not all of us are on here trying to make a dollar off your generous soul.

Thank you for sharing such a warm and heartfelt sentiment. We are hoping to be able to do the same thing soon, as our circumstances are changing. I would love to see someone enjoy our T/S as much as we have for the past 20 years![/Q

gafamof4

Reaction score
I recently decided to change my portfolio of timeshares to be actual weeks I can use. Whereas I really love the timeshares I own, for some I own weeks that I cannot travel due to life changes. I just don't want to deal with trading as much.

I have given two away recently to fellow tuggers. One was to a family with young children. The other to grandparents to use with their grandchildren.

I didn't realize the joy I would feel that my timeshares are going to great people. It's a great feeling to share and others to be happy because of it.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I have been looking on this forum for over a year off and on in the bargain section for that perfect week for my family. I have seen how there are a lot of business folks taking ownership of bargain deals on tug lately but please know that there are still families like us who would take great care of that week that has given you such amazing memories over the years. Not all of us are on here trying to make a dollar off your generous soul.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is how I found my most recent acquisition - a non-rated family resort in NH just two hours from our home. It is a ski resort in the summer and a convenient hub for hiking, tubing, and small family amusement parks in the summer. When we got back last year, after the third year staying there through trades, I decided that if anything came up there at the right time and right price, I would try to buy it. And it did - in the Marketplace. What happened next is the important part. The sale was a little bumpy since I didn't want the RCI points attached to the unit because I wanted that same unit and week every year. She was fine with that but the transfer took a few twists and turns neither she nor I could control but neither of us went into this with anything but good intentions and everything worked out perfectly. So I met a lovely lady and everyone was happy.

Just recently, I posted about wanting another week to dovetail into the week 31 we have (first week of August) and it was recommended that I post a "want to buy" add. I did. We'll see. Perhaps you could give that a try as well. Both of the other two weeks that I purchased were from TUG Marketplace ads and I found them doing what you are doing - browsing. Sort of like window shopping. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

As for buyers and sellers remorse, almost 20 years ago, my husband and I built our dream home. We sold our small, cramped split-level house that was bursting at the seams with kids and dogs to a man with two small children. The following year, he sold it for $100,000 more than he paid us for it. This is a true story, you can't make this up. At first, my husband and I were devastated that if we had only waited one more year our lives would have been so different. But then we realized that we never had that money, never planned our dream home on that money and a single dad with two kids was in a much, much better situation. A couple of years later, the house was again worth what we had sold it for originally when the real estate "bubble" burst. I think there might have been some real anguish on that one. Deals come and go and there are so many losers and winners when buying and selling for "real," substantial money that it seems to me the trivial happiness of buying and selling for pennies on a retail dollar for what is, in effect, a luxury item, is of little consequence.

Judi

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That is how I found my most recent acquisition - a non-rated family resort in NH just two hours from our home. It is a ski resort in the summer and a convenient hub for hiking, tubing, and small family amusement parks in the summer. When we got back last year, after the third year staying there through trades, I decided that if anything came up there at the right time and right price, I would try to buy it. And it did - in the Marketplace. What happened next is the important part. The sale was a little bumpy since I didn't want the RCI points attached to the unit because I wanted that same unit and week every year. She was fine with that but the transfer took a few twists and turns neither she nor I could control but neither of us went into this with anything but good intentions and everything worked out perfectly. So I met a lovely lady and everyone was happy.

Just recently, I posted about wanting another week to dovetail into the week 31 we have (first week of August) and it was recommended that I post a "want to buy" add. I did. We'll see. Perhaps you could give that a try as well. Both of the other two weeks that I purchased were from TUG Marketplace ads and I found them doing what you are doing - browsing. Sort of like window shopping. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

As for buyers and sellers remorse, almost 20 years ago, my husband and I built our dream home. We sold our small, cramped split-level house that was bursting at the seams with kids and dogs to a man with two small children. The following year, he sold it for $100,000 more than he paid us for it. This is a true story, you can't make this up. At first, my husband and I were devastated that if we had only waited one more year our lives would have been so different. But then we realized that we never had that money, never planned our dream home on that money and a single dad with two kids was in a much, much better situation. A couple of years later, the house was again worth what we had sold it for originally when the real estate "bubble" burst. I think there might have been some real anguish on that one. Deals come and go and there are so many losers and winners when buying and selling for "real," substantial money that it seems to me the trivial happiness of buying and selling for pennies on a retail dollar for what is, in effect, a luxury item, is of little consequence.

Judi

This is so funny because we own fixed week 31 at a resort in NH (that we got for free) and we were just saying that we would love a week 32 there as well (or maybe another resort in NH)- but we already have week 30 in VT- and we are not retired yet and wouldn't be able to get away with a 3 week in a row vacation each summer from our jobs. We already get flack about our 2 week in a row vacations! We are in our 60's already- what BS! Plus- though my husband has a nice amount of PTO days, the company I work for decided to decrease the max PTO allotment for everyone by 4 days, which really messed things up for me. So now- there is no more accumulation of time based on years of service.:mad:

We took over the week 31 at the resort because we, too, had stayed there a few times (rentals from another owner) for the XMAS holidays so we could see our son who lives in Plymouth, so we knew we liked the resort. We, however, got our week through a Timeshare Nation ad on TUG.

I just recently saw a week 38 on Sumday at our resort, but we already have an annual off season floater in Vt of which the dates vary every year so there could be conflicts some years, so we scratched that, too.

This does not keep me from browsing however, for I am a dreamer and it is possible for dreams to come true!

As for the real estate situation you had- I feel your pain! We have been through it with our past house (which we put so much work into) and current home (so sorry we moved to this area 30 years ago) and also a real estate investment (a condo we bought for renting out- worse thing we ever did) - was just the times in the area we live in- bad market when we sold. Could happen again to us in a few years with our current home, as it has barely appreciated due to the market despite all the money we put into it, but we are determined to move to New Hampshire when we retire - hook or crook- no matter what!

Good luck with getting your second week!

Last edited: