• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Most Expensive College In Every State

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Most Expensive College in Every State
By Emmie Martin/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

College is expensive — and it's only increasing.

Tuition at both public and private schools continues to rise at a fast clip, and Americans collectively owe more than $1.3 trillion in student loan debt.

But not all states are created equal. While Harvey Mudd College, the most expensive school in California, runs $69,717 per year, the University of Wyoming, the most expensive school in its state, costs only $26,535 — even less for local students.

Using data from the College Board's Trends in College Pricing and The Chronicle of Higher Education's helpful interactive chart, Business Insider rounded up the most expensive college in every state. The ranking uses tuition data from the 2016-17 academic year and looks at each school's full sticker price — published tuition and required fees, as well as room and board — rather than tuition numbers alone.

All states were ranked according to out-of-state tuition where applicable....."

588a74ea47575239008b4cc9-960-720.jpg

Not all states are created equal.
Notre Dame Admissions/Facebook

Richard

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have never understood how colleges and universities justify increases in fees and tuition that well exceed the increases in the CPI.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have never understood how colleges and universities justify increases in fees and tuition that well exceed the increases in the CPI.

The Louisiana state budget revenue is highly dependent on the price of oil. When the price of oil greatly dropped several years ago, the State Legislature balanced the budget on the backs of budget cuts to higher education and healthcare. The State contribution to higher education has been cut 80% in the past eight years. To make up for that loss in funding, Louisiana state institutions of higher education have resorted to increases in fees and tuition and those increases have greatly surpassed the CPI.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As a father of a HS senior daughter, I am very aware of how much even the average-caliber school's costs have gone up dramatically since we first started her 529 fund when she was an infant. I can't imagine a student being very successful if their only option was to finance a college degree -- it is just crazy! Something will definitely have to give soon, IMO.

Kurt

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that everything is more expensive today but the cost of my Senior Year (1968) was something like $275 per Quarter (3 Quarters was the equal of 2 Semesters) and that included Book Rental. I don't remember exactly but I think paid a lady something less than $100 per month to rent a room in her house (with kitchen privileges). That and a few bucks for food and a couple of beers was it...

George

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It is amazing, isn't it? Back in the olden days (1982), I was selected to be the "student representative" to the tuition committee at my private university. I am pretty sure that I, as a young female student, was expected to sit quietly and nod as decisions were made about tuition - my tuition. Sadly for them, they picked the wrong girl. As soon as the introductions were over, the first speaker suggested that they start with a 15% tuition increase to "see if that would work". Now I was there on scholarships, grants, student loans, and cash (earned by me) and my jaw dropped at this number. I had no idea where I was going to come up with more money, especially 15% more. So I raised my hand and asked why they started with 15%? Crickets. Then I asked why they didn't start with a budget and see where there was an opportunity to save money and get the tuition increase down to a more reasonable amount. At this point there were a few people actually glaring at me, lol. Luckily the provost (VP) of the university agreed with me and said so, and we proceeded from there. I think that the actual increase was ~8% - better than nothing - and definitely better than 15%.

The problem is that those in the position of determining increases probably haven't had to write a tuition check in years, maybe never. They kind of live in lala land. The folks on the committee thought that I could just magically pay more. When I explained my situation - there simply was no more money - they couldn't quite wrap their heads around it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One is demand. People keep paying it. I graduated with 0 debt as I had an athletic scholarship and worked during the school year and summers. I did not spend much. My last semester of grad school I had to purchase tution waivers from high school teachers in the area who received them for taking on co-op students. I had the choice of going anywhere that was going to pay me. Not as easy as it sounds. Most people should consider their state school if money is an issue. Sometimes private can work out cheaper though.

I have no sympathy for people who took out student loans and can no longer afford to pay them. Does not matter if it was for med school at a c school or women's studies at Harvard. Personal responsibility. It is a good thing that student loans are not written off in bankruptcy. Seems so simple and reasonable as one will always have the knowledge learned. The person that came up with that deserves our thanks.

Universities are complicit in this as they do a hard sell but people need to think what they really want and can afford.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They need to update this. St. John's College in New Mexico just reduced their tuition by half. They may still be the most expensive in the state, but it's a lot less than it used to be.

St. John’s College, which has campuses in Santa Fe and Annapolis, Md., is reducing annual tuition from over $52,000 to $35,000, starting in the 2019-20 school year.

And students from New Mexico will receive a $10,000 discount, bringing tuition for them to $25,000.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_ff2c397d-b162-55f1-a0d5-75b25fe34876.html

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
most top 50 colleges now are $70,000 all in. Absolutely egregious. How dare they charge insanely high rates for a college education, that is all but required in America in the 21st century? It's not a luxury item, like a Porsche. And their endowments are in the $ Billions for many schools. It's infuriating.
Private college tuition used to be like 20% of median household income in America 40 years ago. Now, it's 105%. Public tuition is better but still egregious. But what will change it?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
None of them are worth it, either.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
most top 50 colleges now are $70,000 all in. Absolutely egregious. How dare they charge insanely high rates for a college education, that is all but required in America in the 21st century? It's not a luxury item, like a Porsche. And their endowments are in the $ Billions for many schools. It's infuriating.
Private college tuition used to be like 20% of median household income in America 40 years ago. Now, it's 105%. Public tuition is better but still egregious. But what will change it?

Maybe no government grants. They rely on that. Then I would think they would have to compete and eventually lower tuition. Just an idea.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just read today that a college in Newburgh, NY, over this way, Mount St. Mary’s - just fired all their administrators due to decreasing enrollment over the last few years. The comments on Facebook overwhelmingly pointed to one thing - the outrageous tuition.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter went on a mission trip this summer with her church youth group. The misssion trip was only $400 for the entire week meals inclided.

They stayed at a really posh private dormitory about a block from campus. Out of curiosity i looked up the rates for the school year. the cheapest was $1,600 per resident per month. I believe it was 2 to a room but you got your own room and bath. I don’t know if that included meals.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
None of them are worth it, either.
While schools have gone up in price tremendously, I still believe some top-tier schools are definitely worth it.

For example, my daughter was looking into Carnegie Mellon. Their full year price (tuition, room, board, books, fees) was around $71K/year. However, if she was in the Computer Science program (which happens to be ranked #1 in the nation), the average starting salary is over $120K/year. That means plenty are starting much higher than that. It wouldn't take too long for that education to pay for itself.

Now, if you are going to Harvard and studying French History, the payback may not be so great...

Kurt

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a college my Princeton-attending older brother referred to as a "Southern-finishing" school. I got jobs offers for more money than he was making 1.5 year after he graduated with his Ivy League engineering degree.

Need I say, I had to cook eggs for tuition payments on the breakfast kitchen line .... but I had 4+ job offers when I graduated.

Decaded later, he still HAS TO WORK fulltime living in a rental unit and I run my own business worth real money.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supply & demand, and ego. As long as these schools can continue to draw people at their tuitions, they'll continue to do so.

Let's face, there are far too many that are brainwashed into believing that their kid has to go to college. Beans.

Truth is, these colleges are brimming with people that have no business being there. And they prove it after their graduation, but then it's too late.

Time to take a close hard look at 2-year trade schools.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the richest people’s in the world did not graduate from college.But they all had a good idea and common sense.

Here are just a few of the richest people’s from the United States that did not finish college.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Frank Lloyd Wright, Tom Hanks, Tiger Woods, Lady Gaga James Cameron, Harrison Ford and Buckministet Fuller

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Some of the richest people’s in the world did not graduate from college.But they all had a good idea and common sense.

Here are just a few of the richest people’s from the United States that did not finish college.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Frank Lloyd Wright, Tom Hanks, Tiger Woods, Lady Gaga James Cameron, Harrison Ford and Buckministet Fuller

true, most of those started at a prestigious (expensive) college. Their success could be attributable to talent and skill, smarts, etc. and not to their post high school education.

(but I'm not sure about Lady GaGa)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a college my Princeton-attending older brother referred to as a "Southern-finishing" school. I got jobs offers for more money than he was making 1.5 year after he graduated with his Ivy League engineering degree.

The reasons why don't matter but I went to 9 Universities over 15 years before graduating. Some had big names and some were lesser lights.
And you know what? My 4 best professors were one each at Southern Illinois University, the University of Houston, St Louis University and North Carolina at Chapel Hill. IMO no one school was best. They all had some good professors and they all had a large bunch of mediocre ones. Based on my experience if I were to do it all over again, I would put in two years at a carefully selected (not necessarily the cheapest or most convenient) Junior College and while there spend a good amount of time figuring out where to finish up...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If I remember correctly only about 20% to 30% of folks ever get a 4 year college degree.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

And what do their kids end up doing? Probably an expensive college if they are not too messed up by that age.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'd rather see more kids go to trade schools and become better plumbers, electricians, mechanics, body repair, masons, etc. Too many kids in college aren't learning how to DO anything.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grrr I truly dislike when I click on a link and get a pop-up blocking the content that tells me to turn off my pop-up blocker! Why do they think I use a pop-up blocker anyway! Like I care what the most expensive college for anyone else is, anyway! I got out of school without debt, and wish that were true for most kids today- but it isn't. No reason to glorify those schools that perpetuate the myth that a good education HAS to be expensive! I'd rather see a similar article showing the best CHEAP school in each state!

Jim

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grrr I truly dislike when I click on a link and get a pop-up blocking the content that tells me to turn off my pop-up blocker! Why do they think I use a pop-up blocker anyway! Like I care what the most expensive college for anyone else is, anyway! I got out of school without debt, and wish that were true for most kids today- but it isn't. No reason to glorify those schools that perpetuate the myth that a good education HAS to be expensive! I'd rather see a similar article showing the best CHEAP school in each state!

Jim

Money does that every year. Their list is the best value for your money using salaries after graduation. A lot of expensive colleges do make the list.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I'd rather see more kids go to trade schools and become better plumbers, electricians, mechanics, body repair, masons, etc. Too many kids in college aren't learning how to DO anything.

In Oregon there is a shortage of all the Trades involved in construction. Several of the Unions have TV advertisements trying to get people to sign up for the apprenticeship programs.