• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

THE SURF CLUB OF MARCO ISLAND

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just been confirmed into The Surf Club of M I for next September, 2019. The confirmation lists unit #303. Has anyone recently been to this resort? The latest reviews are from 2014. I'm curious if #303 will be the assigned unit or is it just on the confirmation for check in purposes. We have never stayed here and I would like to know where #303 is located and what type of view we will have. We like spending time on our balcony with breakfast as well as cocktails in the evening so a view is important to us. Can you please enlighten me on what to expect. Thank you so much.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that will be your unit. You will be n third floor which should be high enough to have a clear view of the gulf

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
#303 is ocean front, one unit in from the north side, directly over the pool area. The units on the second floor have deeper balconies, so you could look down directly onto the front part of their balcony from yours. A few of the palm trees on the other side of the pool may obstruct your view of the ocean a bit, but it would be minor, IMO.

Floor plan (that unit will probably be mirror image):
floor-plan.gif

Resort web sites:
http://www.surfclub.hgvc.com/
https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/florida-gulf/surf-club-marco/

Kurt

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I would advise taking the points protection or cancellation insurance. Florida in September can be iffy. This summer the West coast of Florida is getting hit hard by a red tide that is the worst in years. It isn't over yet either. September is a more active month for tropical storms and hurricanes. Last year the Fort Myers area on that side of the State got paid a visit by Hurricane Irma. Four years ago, could have been three or five, we spent Labor Day week on Sanibel with no problems. But we booked it about two weeks out with a very discounted point reservation and we only live 2 hours away on the other side of Florida. Some people are okay with the hotter, humid months of August and September and the frequent thunderstorms on either coast of Southern Florida and others not so much.

This week we are staying at Caloosa Cove resort in Islamorada in the Keys with our little granddaughter. When we got here the sulfur smell you sometimes get in the Keys this time of year from seaweed was strong. I'm more sensitive to smells than my husband and my initial reaction was to want to turn around and go home. Our 7 year old granddaughter cried and wanted to go back to our house. She changed her mind as soon as she met two other kids her age at the pool. Lol. There were more people here over the weekend and the several families we met at the pool who have been coming here for years and are also Florida resident from our area weren't concerned. But I admit I was online reading about it that night. Since we have our granddaughter with us I felt responsible to make sure we weren't placing her in any danger. I was worried about myself too as I have asthma but it hasn't caused me any problems.

After the weekend we've had the normal for this time of year daily thunderstorms and the wind from them must blow the smell away or something because it hasn't been nearly as noticeable when I can smell it and sometimes I don't smell it at all. Much to my husband's relief because I dislike that smell enough that I don't think I could ever become noseblind to it and would have gone home if we didn't have our granddaughter with us. None of us noticed any smell when we drove about 10-15 minutes back up the road to go to dinner at the Shrimp Shack Tuesday for dinner. The food was great btw. Nor did we notice it when we drove down the road to Sombrero Beach yesterday. After the weekend was over we are usually the only ones at the pool and it is a very nice pool. This whole area and the resort got hit hard by Hurricane Irma last year. The on-site bar/restaurant by the pool is still being worked on. We are having a very nice week and I'm glad I decided to give it a chance and didn't insist we go home.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Your unit will be fine. The first floor units are the least desirable as they face an alley but I would go to those too. From what I was told the hoa approved greenery for those units to block the bad view. The area is so nice, steps away you have your view.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many floors are in the building? Is this resort large with a nice pool? I know the area but have never noticed this resort before.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How many floors are in the building? Is this resort large with a nice pool? I know the area but have never noticed this resort before.
It is 8 floors with 6 units per floor (all 2BR units), so not a very big resort. It is a bit older, so the pool and facilities are not very fancy, but very usable. You can visit the property's website for pictures, etc: www.surfclub.hgvc.com

Kurt

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Last year the Fort Myers area on that side of the State got paid a visit by Hurricane Irma.

Marco Island took a DIRECT HIT when Irma made landfall. Many of us STILL have not had our homes repaired.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We were in Marco this Spring. Some homes seemed a liitle worse for wear...
But all the tourist prperties & facilties appeared to be in good shape.