• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about joining Hyatt Residence Club - Have a few Q's

tperez

Reaction score
My wife and I have been looking into the Hyatt Residence club after discovering the locations in some non-traditional places, particularly Carmel and Key West. We currently own Vistana, Marriott and Diamond. None of those systems have properties in Carmel and only Diamond has a property in Key West.

I've been reading over the HRC FAQ and info pages, which have been very helpful. But I just wanted to make sure I understand the system before trying to make a resale purchase.

I noticed in the marketplace there are two 2bd weeks at High Sierra Lake Tahoe which are valued at 1300 points each. If I was able to purchase something like this (and it got past ROFR), is it realistic to think that I could use those points to reserve a week in a studio in either Carmel or Key West, which looks to be around 700 points? With both our Vistana and Marriott ownerships, the internal points exchanges are actually very easy and since my wife and I have maximum scheduling flexibility (retired, kid out on his own, dogs passed away...) scheduling has not been an issue. Any fees for an internal exchange?

Also, FWIW, it sounds like the rollout of the Hyatt HRP program is almost an exact copy of Marriott's rollout of their Destinations club program, which we went through as legacy owners. In the end, in spite of all the salesperson rambling about two different pools of inventory, limited trust property access, "supercharging" legacy points, etc., our experience has actually been very positive.

Thanks

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks, tperez, and welcome to the Hyatt forum! I think you will like HRC if you choose to buy in.

In answer to your specific question, the answer is yes--if you are flexible in terms of time of year and days of week, you can probably pretty easily find short stays at Carmel and Key West for a modest number of points. In any case, I would advise you buy at least 2000 points to allow you ultimate internal trading flexibility. With 2000 points, you will be able to nail down full weeks even in peak seasons at the two locations you're looking for. There are no fees for an internal exchange.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions after reading the FAQ's and other stickies on how the HRC system works.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
My wife and I have been looking into the Hyatt Residence club after discovering the locations in some non-traditional places, particularly Carmel and Key West. We currently own Vistana, Marriott and Diamond. None of those systems have properties in Carmel and only Diamond has a property in Key West.

I've been reading over the HRC FAQ and info pages, which have been very helpful. But I just wanted to make sure I understand the system before trying to make a resale purchase.

I noticed in the marketplace there are two 2bd weeks at High Sierra Lake Tahoe which are valued at 1300 points each. If I was able to purchase something like this (and it got past ROFR), is it realistic to think that I could use those points to reserve a week in a studio in either Carmel or Key West, which looks to be around 700 points? With both our Vistana and Marriott ownerships, the internal points exchanges are actually very easy and since my wife and I have maximum scheduling flexibility (retired, kid out on his own, dogs passed away...) scheduling has not been an issue. Any fees for an internal exchange?

Also, FWIW, it sounds like the rollout of the Hyatt HRP program is almost an exact copy of Marriott's rollout of their Destinations club program, which we went through as legacy owners. In the end, in spite of all the salesperson rambling about two different pools of inventory, limited trust property access, "supercharging" legacy points, etc., our experience has actually been very positive.

Thanks

Carmel has no studios and it’s 1BRs “cost” the points of a 2BR elsewhere. There is no season less than gold at Hyatt Carmel Highlands. Gold 1BR reservations for a week in Carmel are 1880 points.

So you will *never* be able to obtain a Carmel 7 night reservation if you own a 1300 pt unit.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want Carmel or Key West, I'd suggest you buy there at a time of year you want to be there. If you think you will visit Carmel more frequently than Key West, buy Carmel and trade into KW when you want to go, or vice versa. Take a careful look at the most current points chart as the point value for KW properties were adjusted higher about a year ago. Either way you go, as WalnutBaron said, I would strongly suggest a minimum of 2000 points. Also, of the two locations (four properties total), only Sunset Harbor has studio units... and as Heathpack said, at Carmel one bed units cost the same points as two bed units anywhere else.

tperez

Reaction score
Many thanks for the comments. I never noticed there were no studios at Carmel. Definitely changes the math. Gotta do more thinking here...

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
And also small nuance, but if you want to exchange your unit internally for another unit (high Sierra Lodge for Carmel) you do have to pay a $41 fee if done over the web or $48 if done over the phone. I also highly recommend you a purchase a diamond week that would give you the most flexibility. It was not easy to find one for a good price on the resale market at the resort we wanted (high Sierra lodge) but we ultimately did. At that resort only Xmas, new year's and president's day weeks are diamond, and while the former two were always around 20k or more, we found president's day week for around 11k a year ago and it passed ROFR. So it is definitely doable. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk