• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of buying Shell Vacation points

Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin and love door county to stay at Little Sweden resort therefore I am thinking of buying resale Americana points. Can anyone fill me in on availability at this resort. I think Little Sweden is part of Shell's Americana sub club so I think there may be some sort of reservation priority. Any information on Shell would be helpful.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I live in Wisconsin and love door county to stay at........I think Little Sweden is part of Shell's Americana sub club so I think there may be some sort of reservation priority. Any information on Shell would be helpful.

Welcome to TUG .
You should be able to find some Shell threads in the Wyndham forum -good reading .
My Shell knowledge from reading TUG is:

1)Nice resorts
2)MF is a little high
3) Resale Points can be obtained for close to free / seller often paying transfer & closing costs.
(This is due to MF cost per point )
4 ) If you want to “sell” - it will cost you - see above .

I hope a She’ll owner can fill in the details for you .

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a BIG Wyndham owner which works GREAT with the Eastern half of the USA, but my dim-witted siblings (60% of them) move to the other side of the Mississipi River. Why would ANYONE leave NJ and the Northeastern USA?

SO I acquired a batch of SHELL resold points for those WEST coast family get-togethers.... AZ, Vegas and Southern CA and the Northwest. Resorts were nice, clean and friendly staff ... low key. Family thought it was GREAT ... they paid nothing for the stays except to RENT the car, pay for my food & drink, gas for car, postcards, tee-shirts etc.

I usually reserve 30% thru the phone lines but the website is workable for searching dates and booking.

Have you walked around the WI resort? I have found the Shell front desks staff to be very nice and proud of their property. I got TOURS before staying or booking their resorts by simply ASKING at the Front Desk .. if someone could just show me a unit as I am a Wyndham owner looking to visit next winter or fall or summer, etc? DO NOT TRY this on FRI, SAT or SUN on turnover days... or during the evenings ... or break time.

If you do own Shell points, I BELIEVE they might still have a cheap owner rental rate for unbooked last minute usage (but Wyndham is most likely offering that inventory NOW thru Extra Holidays).

And I still avoid the Sales staff ... I have better things to do on vacation.

BUY in the club you want to own in .. ARP-thing (the Shell version) exists .... esp important for PRIME dates.

Reaction score
I am a BIG Wyndham owner which works GREAT with the Eastern half of the USA, but my dim-witted siblings (60% of them) move to the other side of the Mississipi River. Why would ANYONE leave NJ and the Northeastern USA?

SO I acquired a batch of SHELL resold points for those WEST coast family get-togethers.... AZ, Vegas and Southern CA and the Northwest. Resorts were nice, clean and friendly staff ... low key. Family thought it was GREAT ... they paid nothing for the stays except to RENT the car, pay for my food & drink, gas for car, postcards, tee-shirts etc.

I usually reserve 30% thru the phone lines but the website is workable for searching dates and booking.

Have you walked around the WI resort? I have found the Shell front desks staff to be very nice and proud of their property. I got TOURS before staying or booking their resorts by simply ASKING at the Front Desk .. if someone could just show me a unit as I am a Wyndham owner looking to visit next winter or fall or summer, etc? DO NOT TRY this on FRI, SAT or SUN on turnover days... or during the evenings ... or break time.

If you do own Shell points, I BELIEVE they might still have a cheap owner rental rate for unbooked last minute usage (but Wyndham is most likely offering that inventory NOW thru Extra Holidays).

And I still avoid the Sales staff ... I have better things to do on vacation.

BUY in the club you want to own in .. ARP-thing (the Shell version) exists .... esp important for PRIME dates.

Thanks for the input. So it seems you are generally happy with SHELL that is a plus for me. I am also a Wyndham owner and have been to many "owner updates". A few years ago I was happy to hear that we would have an option of being able to use our points close to home in an area we really like (Door County Wisconsin) but it seems the Little Sweden location was never brought into the Wyndham system. Thus, I have been shopping for some SHELL points. I have found a resale on Red Week for 4500 points plus 4500 banked points for $1 plus paying transfer and closing fees of approx. $700. The deed is in the Americana club which I have gathered provides me somewhat of a priority at Little Sweden which may help with booking. But I still can not determine if there are units to book there in the prime summer time. I keep asking the current owner if he can check for availability for this summer and he responds he does not want to get involved with that. I am concerned as the main reason I want the deed is so we can go to Door County. Apparently in SHELL the deeds and points are tied to a home resort which I believe is one in Arizona (which we might use to go to baseball spring training).

Have you had good luck getting the resorts you want during the prime times? Are there additional booking or cleaning fees when you stay? Do you think I will be able to use the points for stays at Little Sweden? Am I getting a good deal? This is a certified deal through Red Week so I think it would be legit but have you had any experience with them.

As you can see I have a lot of questions - as I said I am a Wyndham owner and over the years I have learned to not believe everything someone selling a timeshare has to say. I think your best advice is to go to the resort and check it out to see what information they can give me (without talking to sales people). Thanks again!

TH

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG .
You should be able to find some Shell threads in the Wyndham forum -good reading .
My Shell knowledge from reading TUG is:

1)Nice resorts
2)MF is a little high
3) Resale Points can be obtained for close to free / seller often paying transfer & closing costs.
(This is due to MF cost per point )
4 ) If you want to “sell” - it will cost you - see above .

I hope a She’ll owner can fill in the details for you .
I agree that fees are high but we really like the area the resort is in and it is the only timeshare option there. Another poster said I should go to the resort and ask at the front desk for a walk through - I think I will before I decide. They may also be able to share some information regarding availability.
Thanks

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest downside to Shell is that the maintenance fees are relatively high. The resorts are generally pretty nice.

The other thing to consider is the extra fees. There are housekeeping fees (but you get 2 free per year with your 4500 points) and reservation fees (also two free, iirc). I've found them only so-so at keeping track of my free housekeeping.

Reaction score
The biggest downside to Shell is that the maintenance fees are relatively high. The resorts are generally pretty nice.

The other thing to consider is the extra fees. There are housekeeping fees (but you get 2 free per year with your 4500 points) and reservation fees (also two free, iirc). I've found them only so-so at keeping track of my free housekeeping.

Reaction score
Thanks - good information to have. I think two reservations per year will be enough for us. Do you know if they charge for guest reservations as my daughter may use the resort without us being there.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - good information to have. I think two reservations per year will be enough for us. Do you know if they charge for guest reservations as my daughter may use the resort without us being there.

I have never been charged for guest reservations, but have been charged for housekeeping and reservation transactions. I have a tendency to use my points for relatively short stays, which hurts me on those factors. If you're happy with the cost, like the resorts, and plan on using 2 or less reservations per year I think its probably a good deal.

I've been pretty happy with availability, but I own West club points and mostly use them in California, and don't know much about the Americana club resorts.

Reaction score
I have never been charged for guest reservations, but have been charged for housekeeping and reservation transactions. I have a tendency to use my points for relatively short stays, which hurts me on those factors. If you're happy with the cost, like the resorts, and plan on using 2 or less reservations per year I think its probably a good deal.

I've been pretty happy with availability, but I own West club points and mostly use them in California, and don't know much about the Americana club resorts.
Thanks for the information.

When you use your Club points do you normally have to use your 12 month priority or would in your opinion all Club members nave a good chance of getting a reservation to say San Francisco in early September as I think we could use that a time or two. Also, wondering if you have ever been to the resorts in Mexico and are they readily available?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

When you use your Club points do you normally have to use your 12 month priority or would in your opinion all Club members nave a good chance of getting a reservation to say San Francisco in early September as I think we could use that a time or two. Also, wondering if you have ever been to the resorts in Mexico and are they readily available?

I haven't normally booked 12 months in advance. There is still availability at every SF resort for early September now. Not every room type though, two bedrooms at the suites at fisherman's wharf are pretty sold out, which I think is typical.

Haven't been to the Mexico resorts.

Reaction score
I haven't normally booked 12 months in advance. There is still availability at every SF resort for early September now. Not every room type though, two bedrooms at the suites at fisherman's wharf are pretty sold out, which I think is typical.

Haven't been to the Mexico resorts.
Thanks - so it appears the points would be usable in Club West that is good to know

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I haven't normally booked 12 months in advance. There is still availability at every SF resort for early September now. Not every room type though, two bedrooms at the suites at fisherman's wharf are pretty sold out, which I think is typical..

There are only 3 2 bedroom units at Suites at Fisherman's Wharf so that's not surprising.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I own 15500 points in the West club. We mostly stay in Napa, San Francisco (3 resorts) and San Diego. Suites at Fisherman's Wharf books up the quickest of the 3 SF resorts. However, I think with just a little flexibility you should not have any problems booking West resorts at 6 to 9 months.

I think the Hawaii resorts need the most lead time.

Here is the point chart for Little Sweden.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 7.10.27 PM.png

I just booked a week at the Sunset Plaza Resort in late October (so about 8 months out) and no problem getting the exact days I wanted. You have to call for Sunset Plaza but I also checked online for Plaza Pelicanos and it had pretty good availability around that time as well.

I'm happy to answer any questions I missed. I will admit that my experience w Hawaii is limited although we sent my niece there on her honeymoon and didn't have any issues booking it.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Moderator may want to move this to the Wyndham forum for more visibility.

Reaction score
I own 15500 points in the West club. We mostly stay in Napa, San Francisco (3 resorts) and San Diego. Suites at Fisherman's Wharf books up the quickest of the 3 SF resorts. However, I think with just a little flexibility you should not have any problems booking West resorts at 6 to 9 months.

View attachment 5978

I just booked a week at the Sunset Plaza Resort in late October (so about 8 months out) and no problem getting the exact days I wanted. You have to call for Sunset Plaza but I also checked online for Plaza Pelicanos and it had pretty good availability around that time as well.

I'm happy to answer any questions I missed. I will admit that my experience w Hawaii is limited although we sent my niece there on her honeymoon and didn't have any issues booking it.
Moderator may want to move this to the Wyndham forum for more visibility.

View attachment 5978

Thanks for the useful information. From what I can gather and I agree the MF are high but do you think it is a good value? (My deal is I am taking over a deed for the 4500 point Club AZ deed with 4500 points banked for $1 plus transfer fees) I am tying myself into a pretty high price vacation for a long time. Would you do it? One last question I own Wyndham points now bought from the developer so I get a points discount are reservations booked within I believe 60 days - does Shell have a program like this and if they do would my purchase of 4500 points on the resale market qualify to use the points discount program?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a last minute program where you can make bookings with rented points at $0.27 per point. Resale points do qualify.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a last minute program where you can make bookings with rented points at $0.27 per point. Resale points do qualify.

Actually, their Dash Away Deals program let's you book within 14 days of arrival at "up to" 40% off point rental. In the past it wasn't "up to" but always 40%. I just booked Inn at the Opera on a Dash Away deal and got 40% off (points at $0.15 rental). As a weekday hotel room that comes to $30 a night plus the reservation fee ($17.50 on line). With Dash Away Deals there is no housekeeping fee (either using your free ones or paying). However, a recent Dash Away booking for The Donatello only gave me 10% off. Even so, it was a very nice room for a very good rate for SF.

This is handy for us as SF is only 100 miles away. A little trickier if you are farther away from resorts.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With regard to locking yourself in to expensive vacations, two thoughts. The first is, don't buy it unless you are pretty confident you will use it (with all the various constraints you've had explained). The second is, since you are paying very little you can probably sell later without it costing you much (you might need to pay transfer fees, etc).

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been happy as have my siblings (I get the rooms & fly out; they cover the rental cars, food, dining out, alcohol, activity costs) ... seems to work for all of us ... my siblings like going to Spring Training in AZ and I hate BASEBALL .. but where they live more on the Western USa and they rather go to Spring Training than travel back to the NJ. And I get the "Princess" treatment during the entire trip... and they really LIKE Spring Training (==> baseball) PLUS I get great units (not the cheap motel rooms but living rooms with kitchens and nice beds in quiet buildings).

My sibling collection include a LAWYER, a DOCTOR's wife, an officier of the HP corporation and a wife of an Executive Corp of the Defense Department plus their spouses. And I eat very well and get free trinkets during the trip. I pay for NOTHING during the trip ... 10 days of Major League baseball or is it 10 days, of being a PRINCESS?

And none of them complain about the Shell resorts. And they spend most meals eating in, hanging out at the pool and in the units. They like the feel of the place .. full condos with nice landscaping plus bars at the pools.

The PRINCESS part ...... definitely PRICELESS!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, their Dash Away Deals program let's you book within 14 days of arrival at "up to" 40% off point rental. In the past it wasn't "up to" but always 40%. I just booked Inn at the Opera on a Dash Away deal and got 40% off (points at $0.15 rental). As a weekday hotel room that comes to $30 a night plus the reservation fee ($17.50 on line). With Dash Away Deals there is no housekeeping fee (either using your free ones or paying). However, a recent Dash Away booking for The Donatello only gave me 10% off. Even so, it was a very nice room for a very good rate for SF.

This is handy for us as SF is only 100 miles away. A little trickier if you are farther away from resorts.

Thanks! My MF bill just arrived with a letter that said the points rental was getting changed to always 27 cents, but that must be the new rate for non-last-minute points rentals. IIRC it used to vary depending how many you rented.

Reaction score
With regard to locking yourself in to expensive vacations, two thoughts. The first is, don't buy it unless you are pretty confident you will use it (with all the various constraints you've had explained). The second is, since you are paying very little you can probably sell later without it costing you much (you might need to pay transfer fees, etc).
I truly believe we will use the resort near us in WI just want to get it as cheaply as possible if I can. Also, not sure of availability. One earlier blog suggested we go to visit the resort which I think we may do. Not sure of how much availability information I can get but at least I can see if it is what I want. I am heavily leaning toward making the purchase but just trying to do my due diligence.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I truly believe we will use the resort near us in WI just want to get it as cheaply as possible if I can. Also, not sure of availability. One earlier blog suggested we go to visit the resort which I think we may do. Not sure of how much availability information I can get but at least I can see if it is what I want. I am heavily leaning toward making the purchase but just trying to do my due diligence.

If you book the Door County resort, look at the number of points it takes for a week. The two bedroom is 6100 points per week. You need to decide if you want to pay about.25 per point in MF's to book it.

I am so over Shell and their fees and their housekeeping and transaction fees. It's nonsense.

By the way, definitely get your points via retail, and get the club you want to book. So don't buy West (CA) or Hawaii. Buy the other one. I don't know what it's called, but don't buy the wrong club and risk not being able to book the dates you want. You get your pick in your own club, and way ahead.

Timeshares DO NOT work the way people wish they did. You cannot call in May and get July 4th week, even if you own prime summer float in that resort. People have unrealistic expectations. That is just how it is, and when people are unhappy, they complain about timeshare and what a lousy deal it is. Well, book it ahead, and you will have no issues.

Reaction score
If you book the Door County resort, look at the number of points it takes for a week. The two bedroom is 6100 points per week. You need to decide if you want to pay about.25 per point in MF's to book it.

I am so over Shell and their fees and their housekeeping and transaction fees. It's nonsense.

By the way, definitely get your points via retail, and get the club you want to book. So don't buy West (CA) or Hawaii. Buy the other one. I don't know what it's called, but don't buy the wrong club and risk not being able to book the dates you want. You get your pick in your own club, and way ahead.

Timeshares DO NOT work the way people wish they did. You cannot call in May and get July 4th week, even if you own prime summer float in that resort. People have unrealistic expectations. That is just how it is, and when people are unhappy, they complain about timeshare and what a lousy deal it is. Well, book it ahead, and you will have no issues.
I agree with you on all of your observations. We have owned Wyndham since the good old days when they were Fairfield. I felt the same way as you at first but now we are generally happy. I have come to realize it doesn't work unless you really put in the time to get to know the program and how it works. So with the new purchase that I am considering I am trying to get all the information I can. We live close enough to the resort we are considering that we can go there for just a few days at a time. We and are friends are retired so we are flexible about dates and can go mid week if we need to. We love the area and small MOM and POP motels in rent for over $200 plus tax per night in the summer.

From a previous post I was told that we would get 2 free transactions and housekeeping fees per year. I believe that will be enough for us.

From looking at your tag I see you have ownership in several resorts do you feel Shell is a whole lot worse than the others?

Thanks for the advice on staying within the club you want. I believe the Little Sweden resort in WI is part of the Shell "Americana" club. The seller of the points I am considering says they the points are deeded to an AZ club. I have seen a list showing the AZ locations are part of the Americana club do you know if this is true?

Thanks - I am still on the fence regarding buying this deed.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, the AZ are in the Americana Club.

I have a friend who loves Wisconsin Dells, and when I told her my cost to rent her a two bedroom at the Shell resort, she thought I was out of my mind. It was summer, and I thought she would pay my cost on the week she wanted. She decided not to take my offer. That was when fees were .21 each for cost, and I knew I had housekeeping left.

All of that being said, I keep hoping for a trip with all of the kids and grandkids in one of those big units at Little Sweden sometime. It would be worth it to be together for a week.

We own too many Shell at this point. We own in the West Club. Definitely acquire the club you desire to use regularly.

Also, I should add that Shell has a disastrous accounting system. When you book something once, you get charged $17.50, and then you book something again, and you get charged $17.50, etc. I have had $17.50 X 8 on my credit card for one day. Transaction fees are supposed to be $17.50 for the entire day. I call and ask them to take them off, they assure me they did. Over and over again, I call about the same day's repeat charges. Two months later, they still don't fix it. Some of the people at Shell are totally inept and don't want to help.