• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of rescinding, need guidance

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The rescission will cover the new purchase. But I'm confused about the signing over of your week- or weeks (which is it?) If this 'signing over' is part of the new purchase 'deal', it will revert to the situation as it was before the contract was signed (this is the definition of 'rescission'). But others have said that after DRI takes over a resort property, MFs have gone up and access to such things as internal exchanges within DRI are restricted.

Others with more DRI experience will no doubt chime in. Personally, I think rescission was the right move. If it turns out that you change your mind later, I have a hunch the offer will stand.

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International
Welcome to TUG. You have found us in time. RECIND IMMEDIATELY. You can get what you purchased on the resale market for free.

Timesharing can be wonderful. Stick around and learn so you can figure out what will work for you,
How do you resend? The paperwork isn’t clear on the process. What are the best steps to take

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The rescission will cover the new purchase. But I'm confused about the signing over of your week- or weeks (which is it?) If this 'signing over' is part of the new purchase 'deal', it will revert to the situation as it was before the contract was signed (this is the definition of 'rescission'). But others have said that after DRI takes over a resort property, MFs have gone up and access to such things as internal exchanges within DRI are restricted.

Others with more DRI experience will no doubt chime in. Personally, I think rescission was the right move. If it turns out that you change your mind later, I have a hunch the offer will stand.

Jim
Did you rescind? If so, what steps did you take and was it successful?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You get it ALL back. Rescission, by it's definition is to put the entire affair back to where it was before anything was signed. It is covered by state law WHERE THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED, and 'day one' is the day AFTER the contract was signed. You didn't need to call, write, or include the resort in any part of the rescission, but no harm done anyway. They are under no obligation to inform you of progress or final notification of the rescission, and it can take some time before you see a refund. In this case- financing through them, I don't know how that's handled, only that you needn't pay anything should a payment become due before the rescission is complete. Paying on a 'due date' could indicate that you had changed your mind and want the sale to go through. Don't do it.

Glad you found us and got the rescission underway. Many don't get the chance.

Jim
What’s the best way to go about rescinding? We just signed 2 days ago. I have 10 days to recind. We are still in FL should I go go them directly? What’s the best way?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
What’s the best way to go about rescinding? We just signed 2 days ago. I have 10 days to recind. We are still in FL should I go go them directly? What’s the best way?

Easy there. Settle down. It's ok.

Somewhere in your documents, there is an address to send the rescission letter. find it. It may be hidden, in a pocket or in the back of the binder behind a flap or on cd.

What did you buy? This may help us help you.....some are more difficult than others to locate addresses.

Do not attempt to 'verbally' cancel...they will put the hard sell on you. Rescind via paper as instructed...feel free to fax a copy to the office, but the written letter is your ticket to cancelling.

Here is the statutory law for Florida (where you purchased).

• You will need to draft a simple letter requesting to rescind your purchase.
  • The letter must list the contract number and date, must include the word(s) 'cancel my contract' or similar
  • All signatories to the original contract must be named and must sign
  • You must return any 'gifts' given after signing the contract, but they can be returned later
  • Sign and send the letter via certified USPS mail, return receipt requested
  • keep original copies of all documents
  • Sample letter below
  • Don't expect a response from the company; other than a sales person trying to convince you not to cancel or to try and 'sweeten the deal' and sell you more points. DONT FALL for THIS.
Do this now.....then take time to study and think about it.

Welcome to TUG. Consider becoming a member....best $15 you'll ever spend.

Current Date

Timeshare Owner Name
XXXX Address Lane
City, ST Zip Code
Contact Phone Number
Fax Number (opt)
E-mail Address (opt)

Timeshare Company ----------> Must be sent to address listed in your contract package for "where to send cancellation/rescission documents" or wording to that effect--look for it
XXXXX Address Place
City, ST Zip Code
Contact Phone Number
Fax Number

Attention Customer Service,

The purpose of this letter is regarding the required cancellation of my timeshare contract. My name is (enter your name here) and I purchased a timeshare with (enter timeshare company) on (enter purchase date). Per the contract regarding this timeshare, I am contacting you within the rescission period in order to cancel this timeshare contract.

Timeshare: Generic Name Resorts
Owner: Timeshare Owner Names
Contract Number: XXXXXXXX
Date of Purchase: XX-XX-XXXX

Upon further review, I've decided to cancel and rescind this contract. Please refund all deposits and cancel any future charges.
To reiterate: Cancel my contract immediately.

Sincerely,

Timeshare owner name

Right to Cancel a Timeshare in Florida
In Florida, if you buy a timeshare, you can cancel the timeshare contract up until midnight of the 10th calendar day following:

• the date you signed the contract, or
  • the day on which you received the last of all required documents, whichever occurs later. (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 721.10 (1).)
This right of cancellation cannot be waived.

If you want to cancel the purchase contract, you must notify the seller in writing. If you do this, the timeshare company must refund to you the total amount of payments, reduced by the value of any benefits received, within:

• 20 days after it receives your notice of cancellation, or
  • within five days after it receives the funds from your cleared check, whichever is later. (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 721.10 (3).)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
How do you resend? The paperwork isn’t clear on the process. What are the best steps to take

Taterhed instructions are great. Follow them and do not go back to them directly.

Again, welcome to Tug. We invite you to you stick around and learn everything you need to know to make an informed decision if you decide to make a future timeshare purchase. Timesharing is wonderful if its done right, getting what works for you at the right price.

Also congratulations on finding us in time and saving your money as many find us too late.