TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Disney is so expensive

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by TravelTime, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:05 PM.

1. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, DVC, WKOVRN, FSA, MKO
    After our recent stay at Aulani with Disney Vacation Club points, we received this in the mail...

2629DAEE-F187-49DD-9871-08D8A581288A.jpeg 18B85D37-AC88-4B71-BD4D-F92D231C10BB.jpeg

2. Dean

Dean TUG Member

That's small potatoes. The single night reservation option, high profit expectations on their side, transportation and union are much larger factor of many.

3. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Those items costs Disney .000001 to produce from China.

bnoble likes this.
  4. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    This package probably costs a couple dollars. Remember it is not just production...there’s a lot that goes into designing these beautiful pieces and there’s also postage. But this is the least of what they send me. I get mail from Disney everytime I make a reservation and cancel it, which is all the time. Even if production is cheap, the postage adds us. No one else sends me so much beautiful mail.

My point is not the mail. That alone is not what makes Disney expensive. It is the total branding and the way Disney handles every aspect of their product. Marketing and direct mail is just one aspect that I used as an example. Every touchpoint with Disney is flawlessly executed compared to other companies. I do not get thank you cards from Westin or Marriott after vacationing with them. I am lucky if they even credit my account correctly with what I deserve.

BTW, I personally get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the Disney mail, even while I realize how wasteful it is. I especially love the artwork they send me sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM
  5. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    You are correct that everything Disney does has a special touch. I also get a smile on face with Disney mail, except when the DVC bill arrives.

Rick and I both love Disney because we are of that era, the Wonderful World of Disney era, with Walt Disney himself, we always wanted to go as kids. We were born in 1955, the year Disneyland opened.

We didn't go until we were 21. Our parents could never afford trips like that. We didn't have kids yet, and we already bought a house and two cars. We could afford to go, and so we did. We drove, and we stayed at a very moderate hotel on Katella.

This was one promise we made to ourselves, that our kids would know Disneyland and Disney World, and Rick was always the one who arranged the trips. Then around 1996, I started doing all of the planning.

TravelTime and Panina like this.
  6. Iggyearl

Iggyearl TUG Member

Maybe this type of behavior is causing Disney to incur unexpected costs?

7. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

It's important to remember that Disney is a company that makes money by selling happiness. They also deliberately position themselves as a mass-market brand that is nevertheless aspirational. That's a difficult trick, but they've pulled it off.

So, if their fees are marginally higher because they send pretty postcards, that's all part of the business model. But, these things increase costs marginally, and they are no more expensive than other name-market brands that I've seen.

8. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Awe...what a sweet story!

9. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    In the timeshare world, Disney’s cost is astronomically higher but it’s worth it. DVC is the only timeshare that actually goes up in value.

10. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
  11. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

12. mj2vacation

mj2vacation Guest

Mere pennies in cost, but with the guest retention that Disney has, it’s priceless!

TravelTime likes this.
  13. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I am glad no one here cares about “pennies” in marketing costs. Folks in the other timeshare threads are up in arms about 6 sales offices at Westin. I thought that was silly and I am an owner there too.