• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on moving?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I found with Austin is the quality of housing to get an equivalent house is super expensive. The homes in Austin are not a bargain compared to what we already own in California (since we have owned for awhile).

I am pretty certain that you are only looking at homes in the central Austin area. That's a small and very expensive market.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am pretty certain that you are only looking at homes in the central Austin area. That's a very small and expensive area.

I was looking at neighborhoods equivalent to where we live now in Silicon Valley and the pricing was $1 million + in Austin. I only saw 2 houses I liked in Austin. One was $1 million and the other was $2 million. I saw a lot I liked over $2 million.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We've lived in 21 houses in our 50 years of marriage! 9 years is the longest we've lived in a house. I never had the luxury of becoming too attached to a house, neighbors or things. It wouldn't be a problem for me to clean out and move.

But like others...where? We want 1 level living with the ability to lock and leave for travel. The ideal would be: No, or very little, snow. Fairly flat land. Green; not brown. No flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes or tornadoes. No mudslides or frequent wild fires. Few bugs. No red tide or green algae. Lots of sunshine but with low temperatures and no humidity. In, or close, to a vibrant city with major hospitals, universities and international airport. Oh, and where people say "y'all"! Asking for much? ;)

I love Charleston; its architecture, history, restaurants and shopping. I love the smell of a low country salt marsh at low tide, herons and egrets, and old sprawling live oak trees with Spanish moss hanging from them. A porch swing and rocking chairs on a piazza with a haint blue ceiling. Grits and oysters. I don't love invasive and/or obnoxious tourists, traffic, maneuvering around frequently flooded streets, anticipating and preparing for storms, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, poor roads and out of control growth/construction that is ruining the charm and character of this area. I can't even imagine returning to Florida to live and the Bluffton, SC, area is just too far from everything major. Las Vegas? Well, it's Las Vegas! On the wrong coast and brown.

I often consider Greenville, SC. We've lived in that area 3 times over the years and it has a lot to offer. I could consider a suburb of Charlotte, NC, and Charlottesville, VA. Any further North and snow would be an issue. Any further East and I'm back to worrying about the changes I see coming that will result in more storms and flooding. The West is just too far and foreign from all that I love.

Hmmm...how about Europe?
A little south of Charlotte business center about 25 minute is the South Carolina border. Housing cost less, re taxes less, nicer, all the convenience too.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Acreage homes? 10,000 sq foot? Location relative to UT/Capitol? I have no sense of equivalence. When I was in San Jose in June, (toured the San Jose Rose Garden), homes were both smaller and much more expensive than DFW. I have read that you can't buy a 3/1 less than a million in Silicon Valley. Am I misinformed?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at neighborhoods equivalent to where we live now in Silicon Valley and the pricing was $1 million + in Austin. I only saw 2 houses I liked in Austin. One was $1 million and the other was $2 million. I saw a lot I liked over $2 million.

You're definitely only looking at the central Austin area. That is way too narrow of an area. Are you just doing an internet search.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When I think Florida, 2 things always pop up in my mind, one is humidity and the other is hurricanes. I don't think I would be happy retiring in Florida but lots of people do.

We have 2 neighbors in our condo building who moved here from Florida. One couple cited high cost of living in Florida where their property taxes were outrageous - they lived in a high rise condo facing the water in Florida and they had to pay a premium for hurricane risk even though they were something like 30 storey up. The other older couple who are now in their 80s moved here five years ago because her arthritis and she does much better in dry than humid.

When we visited Alaska, our tour guide said Alaskans have major drinking and drug abuse problems because of the cold and short days in winter and there was nothing else to do but to feel sorry for themselves. Many people turn to drugs and booze as a form of escape.

When we think of Florida we think "no see ems" (those little black bugs that might and leave raised red marks), lizards (gators) big enough to eat our pets, humidity, and then hurricanes. Patti's sister and BIL had to evacuate in 2016 and 2017.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are so correct. People outside the state hear property taxes and it freaks them out. But you have to look at the whole picture. What you pay in property taxes pales in comparison to the amount you pay in income taxes (No income tax in Texas).

No wait. Forget what I said. The quality of life in central Texas is terrible. Everyone stop moving here.

Rabies, rattlesnakes, and rednecks. Nobody should want Texas. . . .

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
A little south of Charlotte business center about 25 minute is the South Carolina border. Housing cost less, re taxes less, nicer, all the convenience too.

Funny you posted that. When hubby was transferred to Charlotte, NC, we chose to live in Rock Hill, SC, so that I could continue to get in-state tuition and finish my bachelor's degree. Went on to get my master's while there and first teaching position. Don't think I'd want to live in Rock Hill again though. Fort Mill or the Tega Cay area perhaps.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Funny you posted that. When hubby was transferred to Charlotte, NC, we chose to live in Rock Hill, SC, so that I could continue to get in-state tuition and finish my bachelor's degree. Went on to get my master's while there and first teaching position. Don't think I'd want to live in Rock Hill again though. Fort Mill or the Tega Cay area perhaps.
Or Indian Land, SC, next town over from Fort Mill.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Acreage homes? 10,000 sq foot? Location relative to UT/Capitol? I have no sense of equivalence. When I was in San Jose in June, (toured the San Jose Rose Garden), homes were both smaller and much more expensive than DFW. I have read that you can't buy a 3/1 less than a million in Silicon Valley. Am I misinformed?

Yes you are correct about the pricing in San Jose. The housing in San Jose is mostly tract homes with the exception of a few areas. The nice places to live in Silicon Valley are west of highway 85 in the incorporated towns. The average prices in these towns are $2 million +. These towns tend to have some charm and character though and nicer homes and some bigger lots. However, the homes would not be as big on average as Texas.

If you go outside the Bay Area, you can get beautiful huge homes for “reasonable” prices (note the quotes) in some parts of California. The greater Sacramento region is an example. It is listed as one of the fastest growing secondary cities/regions in the country now. Many people are leaving the Bay Area and moving there. The average home price is 1/4 the price in the Bay Area.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another thought. You mentioned your husband is an engineer. It's unlikely that his business, company, or work will be located in the downtown area. If this is the case I can't imagine you wanting to live in that general area. Seriously, you have so many options available to you. 2,200 sqft is on the small side here. For $400,000 (and seriously that's still a lot) you can build or buy a big brand new home, all brick, in a great neighborhood.

But I'm guessing you really don't want to move. I completely respect that. But if you do I wouldn't rush to buy a home before you really got to know the area. It took my mom 10 years before she finally moved out of her home 30+ years. She has been living in a senior high rise for the last 2 years and loves it. Still it was a very big step. Best wishes.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We've lived in 21 houses in our 50 years of marriage! 9 years is the longest we've lived in a house. I never had the luxury of becoming too attached to a house, neighbors or things. It wouldn't be a problem for me to clean out and move.

But like others...where? We want 1 level living with the ability to lock and leave for travel. The ideal would be: No, or very little, snow. Fairly flat land. Green; not brown. No flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes or tornadoes. No mudslides or frequent wild fires. Few bugs. No red tide or green algae. Lots of sunshine but with low temperatures and no humidity. In, or close, to a vibrant city with major hospitals, universities and international airport. Oh, and where people say "y'all"! Asking for much? ;)

I love Charleston; its architecture, history, restaurants and shopping. I love the smell of a low country salt marsh at low tide, herons and egrets, and old sprawling live oak trees with Spanish moss hanging from them. A porch swing and rocking chairs on a piazza with a haint blue ceiling. Grits and oysters. I don't love invasive and/or obnoxious tourists, traffic, maneuvering around frequently flooded streets, anticipating and preparing for storms, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, poor roads and out of control growth/construction that is ruining the charm and character of this area. I can't even imagine returning to Florida to live and the Bluffton, SC, area is just too far from everything major. Las Vegas? Well, it's Las Vegas! On the wrong coast and brown.

I often consider Greenville, SC. We've lived in that area 3 times over the years and it has a lot to offer. I could consider a suburb of Charlotte, NC, and Charlottesville, VA. Any further North and snow would be an issue. Any further East and I'm back to worrying about the changes I see coming that will result in more storms and flooding. The West is just too far and foreign from all that I love.

Hmmm...how about Europe?

LOL! You have basically said it all! Verdict? There is no perfect place!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Same. You know, when the kids were little, I used to think about all the things I'd be able to do when they were older or moved out. When that day came, I realized that I didn't enjoy anything nearly as much without them. :( I miss my babies every day. One time, I was at Costco and saw a woman in her 30's with a blonde pony tail with a little toddler in the shopping cart. When I saw her, my first thought was, "that used to be me." I almost started crying and I wanted to tell her how lucky she was to be able to go to Costco with her child, but I didn't because I know she would think I was a loony bird.

I thought I would never get over it, but I have made a new life for myself. I've changed my friends, my job, my future plans and with all these dogs, walking around the neighborhood has more memories of what my dogs have done, than what my kids have done, lol. I still know that the best days of my life have already passed and those were the days when I was raising my kids. I've made new goals and passions for living in the present moment. It's like a different life and I just think of myself living here for today and not for the reasons we bought the house in the first place or how the first 15 years were centered around raising kids.
You know what is stupid - I love the view from my backyard and that it is probably the one thing that keeps me from actually moving. I look online and if there is no view, then I'm not interested. So maybe I need to find the reset button in my brain. Thanks for sharing how you have been able to change your perspective, Presley.
Screenshot_20181118-061455_OneDrive.jpg
Screenshot_20181118-061415_OneDrive.jpg

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct about the pricing in San Jose. The housing in San Jose is mostly tract homes with the exception of a few areas. The nice places to live in Silicon Valley are west of highway 85 in the incorporated towns. The average prices in these towns are $2 million +. These towns tend to have some charm and character though and nicer homes and some bigger lots. However, the homes would not be as big on average as Texas.

If you go outside the Bay Area, you can get beautiful huge homes for “reasonable” prices (note the quotes) in some parts of California. The greater Sacramento region is an example. It is listed as one of the fastest growing secondary cities/regions in the country now. Many people are leaving the Bay Area and moving there. The average home price is 1/4 the price in the Bay Area.

I spent a summer in Sacramento in 1978, I'm somewhat familiar with the area. My question was - what was appealing about the Austin homes so I can determine what an equivalent house elsewhere in Texas would cost?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel sorry for everyone in the bay area. The prices are so skewed. Even in San Diego the prices are substantially less and so is the traffic. I live less than 15 min from the beach and our house is under 1mm. And our taxes are less than 4k per year even though we added on to the house and put in a pool. One of the perks to staying put in CA. (Prop 13)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of what I am reading about Property Taxes in Texas is a touch misleading if someone over 65 is thinking about moving to Texas. I don't dispute that Property Taxes may be high if you live in a new $350,000 - $750,000 house in a growing Suburban area. But here is the other side of the story. My Son lives in a $185,000 house in a mature (but very nice) neighborhood in North Fort Worth. Because his credit was bad we purchased his house in my name so we get the Homestead and Over 65 Exemptions. His Property Taxes are less than $3,000 per year. Note that they probably wouldn't be much different if the house was in his name as he would replace the Over 65 Exemption with his Military Disability Exemption....

George

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question was - what was appealing about the Austin homes so I can determine what an equivalent house elsewhere in Texas would cost?

The only reason why Austin homes are the topic is because that was the Texas city people here talked about moving to.

But here's a really good point. You can get the exact same new home, same builder, same everything in a different Texas city for a lot less.

For example, San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US but the vibe is small town. The cost of living in San Antonio is a lot less than Austin. People really like Austin. People really like San Antonio. But they are two very different cities.

A few years ago I toured a new home in Raleigh, NC. The interior was identical to one I have just seen in Texas. The floor plan, floors, bathrooms, cabinets, counter tops, everything was the exact same. The outside facades were different reflecting local architecture. The Texas house was all brick. The Raleigh house was wood. The Raleigh house was much more expensive though.

Last edited:

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Villas North OF (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (bi-annual)
Westin Mission Hills (annual)
Cliff Club at Snowbird (annual)
The Ridge at Tahoe (annual)
We live in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley also, and the cost of housing and traffic is truly daunting, but we love the weather, for the most part, and the green. But frankly, once we retire, I can’t see us continuing to try to afford to stay here. I think we could have a much higher standard of living elsewhere. We are also considering Las Vegas for the same reasons already mentioned. As well, we are considering Costa Rica— no one’s mentioned that yet. We are here for the week and the view from the back yard is so amazing— there’s no way we could afford this view in California in retirement. We try to come here at least once a year, and at some point we are going to need to try longer stays to really prove if we would love it as much as we do on vacation. We still have 10 years of work before retirement, but we are learning so much from you all here on TUG, that we are very grateful for all of your suggestions and viewpoints!

d01f42ef345fb7bbee7a19c270b9d9ad.jpg
185420b88c2f5ee6977ed8e5374c1010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We live in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley also, and the cost of housing and traffic is truly daunting, but we love the weather, for the most part, and the green. But frankly, once we retire, I can’t see us continuing to try to afford to stay here. I think we could have a much higher standard of living elsewhere. We are also considering Las Vegas for the same reasons already mentioned. As well, we are considering Costa Rica— no one’s mentioned that yet. We are here for the week and the view from the back yard is so amazing— there’s no way we could afford this view in California in retirement. We try to come here at least once a year, and at some point we are going to need to try longer stays to really prove if we would love it as much as we do on vacation. We still have 10 years of work before retirement, but we are learning so much from you all here on TUG, that we are very grateful for all of your suggestions and viewpoints!

d01f42ef345fb7bbee7a19c270b9d9ad.jpg
185420b88c2f5ee6977ed8e5374c1010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We considered moving abroad until my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Now we need to stay close to his doctors. We are less than 5 years from retirement. Cancer diagnosis was 3 years ago. A completely life changing event. So what I am saying, is you also need to consider health care because you never know what's around the corner.

Btw, with views like that I would consider moving! Beautiful.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I love Texas, but you need to understand it get HOT here in the spring/summer/fall. If you think of moving here, vacation in San Antonio for a week in July or August. Try Houston in July:eek:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
You know what is stupid - I love the view from my backyard and that it is probably the one thing that keeps me from actually moving. I look online and if there is no view, then I'm not interested. So maybe I need to find the reset button in my brain. Thanks for sharing how you have been able to change your perspective, Presley.
View attachment 9104 View attachment 9105
If you want views in Texas, look at the Hill Country.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ann&Jim if I owned your home I don't think I would have a need for timeshares. That's beautiful.

[correction]
Is that your Costa Rica view? It's still gorgeous. Is that a timeshare, vacation rental?

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When we think of Florida we think "no see ems" (those little black bugs that might and leave raised red marks), lizards (gators) big enough to eat our pets, humidity, and then hurricanes. Patti's sister and BIL had to evacuate in 2016 and 2017.

And the reality is that any of the items on your list could have caused the need for evacuation! :D

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I love Texas, but you need to understand it get HOT here in the spring/summer/fall. If you think of moving here, vacation in San Antonio for a week in July or August. Try Houston in July:eek:

..or the surface of the sun. It's all the same....... :p

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
View attachment 9104 View attachment 9105

Katherine- that view is awesome! Is that a pool you have there! To me- that's heaven!