• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Three Americans Have Mysteriously Died Days apart At The Same Dominican Republic Hotel

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Its gotten much worse over the past 9 days there with the number of mysterious deaths now at 7. Reports today is that its possibly tied to tainted "boot legged liquor" used in the hotel room mini bars. Very scary! Has anyone cancelled or reconsidered their plans to travel to DR due to all of the negative publicity (not to mention the David Ortiz shooting) that has been reported there? I know that I would think twice about going.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its gotten much worse over the past 9 days there with the number of mysterious deaths now at 7. Reports today is that its possibly tied to tainted "boot legged liquor" used in the hotel room mini bars. Very scary! Has anyone cancelled or reconsidered their plans to travel to DR due to all of the negative publicity (not to mention the David Ortiz shooting) that has been reported there? I know that I would think twice about going.

And then there were nine!
There are now 9 mysterious deaths of American tourists in the Dominican Republic. I am surprised that there is not more chatter about this on TUG. Does anyone have a theory, tainted alcohol, pesticide poisoning, a maniac on the loose? Or do people think this is all coincidence and is being blown out of proportion by the media?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There are now 9 mysterious deaths of American tourists in the Dominican Republic. I am surprised that there is not more chatter about this on TUG. Does anyone have a theory, tainted alcohol, pesticide poisoning, a maniac on the loose? Or do people think this is all coincidence and is being blown out of proportion by the media?
I don’t think it’s a coincidence. Like @pedro47 I wouldn’t go there. Seems it is tied to the alcohol, that is something they all had in common, whether tainted intentionally or not.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who has NEVER taken out and/or opened anything from a hotel/resort/cruise ship minibar? It just seems like along with being grossly overpriced, there is little to keep the stuff contained there to be corrupted long before it is consumed.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Am I the only person who has NEVER taken out and/or opened anything from a hotel/resort/cruise ship minibar? It just seems like along with being grossly overpriced, there is little to keep the stuff contained there to be corrupted long before it is consumed.

Jim
Not to mention, old. That stuff must sit in there forever. I have also never used a minibar. I've never been hungry/thirsty enough to pay those prices!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Plus, at some of the AI resorts I have been at, the booze in our rooms was not in little sealed bottles. It was set up with dispensers with full-sized bottles like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

There is no way to tell with any certainty what is really in those bottles. Could be that there was a tainted shipment from a distributor. I personally think the odds are that it would be an accidental contamination, but the resorts and distributors are probably trying to save a buck by going with "bootlegged" booze. Just my opinion.

Kurt

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tainted alcohol, pesticides, gas leaks, food poisoning...could be any, all, or none involved in the deaths reported in the news. The Dominican Republic gets 6.6 million visitors annually. I think it's good that the FBI is helping investigate, but I wouldn't cancel plans to visit the DR because of nine "mysterious" deaths. I can understand family members wanting answers to why their loved ones died on vacation, but sometimes bad things just happen.

I've actually never been interested in visiting the DR because of the proliferation of all-inclusive resorts. Tropical sun, heat, unlimited cheap food and alcohol with thousands of strangers in a mega resort sounds awful to me. And like Katherine and Jim, I don't drink minibar liquor. I question the cleanliness of those big pump bottles of refillable soap, shampoo, and conditioner in hotel showers, too.

Kurt posted while I did. Ugh! No way would I drink from those bottles - in the DR or anywhere else!

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
Alcohol swap out. Somebody wanted the better stuff.

We're scheduled to go to Melia's Grand Reserve in November. Mid September, I will assess and decide. If it's all died down (pardon the unintentioned pun), we may consider still going.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is terribly wrong in DR and their Minister of Health better react ASAP or their tourists populations and cruise populations is going to say bye bye DR.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Jim
When the minibar is free at an AI, stuff doesn't last in it very long.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It ain't FREE. Just included in the cost.
True, and likely overpriced at that. But I doubt the stuff sits in there and goes bad as you implied.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planing a trip to Bahia Principe Akumal (Riviera) at Thanksgiving, and this time we actually have about 12 people going with kids. This will be my 3rd time at this resort in the last 5 years. So you can imagine that my friends are all over the news, but we are not sure that we need to pull the plug on our trip yet. We do have refundable hotel bookings. We figure that until November Bahia will figure out what is going on and they will check for safety all all the resorts. At Akumal there are small bottles in the room in your fridge, we usually do not drink them because we drink enough during the day by the time we make it home we are half asleep:) however, I brought some of the little bottles at home as they come and refill the fridge every day..

anyway, we will wait and see.. I always felt really good at the resort, we love it, good for kids etc.. as many other AI resorts in Mexico. I was thinking to go to a Bahia this year in DR but the one which is on the island by itself in Cayo Levantado and it is still on my bucket list to do. It has won many awards over the years.. the only problem is that if you are flying from Canada is a little tough to get there. So I guess I will postpone that for 5 years or so:)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The staff that works at these resorts, don’t make a lot of money. They resent rich Americans coming there and enjoying all inclusive stays. We haven’t been to the DR, but have heard bad things about it. A woman staying at an AI Resort was attacked and beaten when she walked alone to get a snack.
Have also been warned that Jamaica is not safe. And the Bahamas has had holdups on tour buses when they stop at sight seeing and shopping venues.
We have a niece that is in DR now on vacation, she seems oblivious to the recent news.
I hope she will be ok? Her parents and family just say have fun! I told her to be careful and stay safe. Hoping she will be ok?
Silentg

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Is It Safe to Travel to the Domican Republic? Before Your Vacation Follow These Tips
By Alyssa Newcomb/ Travel/ Money/ Today/ today.com

"While many Americans may be concerned about visiting the Caribbean hot spot, there are some simple tips travelers can follow.

At least nine Americans have died in the Dominican Republic under mysterious circumstances in the past 18 months, while others have reported getting sick in the country, casting scrutiny on whether the island paradise is safe for tourists.

Last week, a New Jersey man was found unresponsive in his room at the Terra Linda Resort, with results from FBI toxicology tests expected in July. And Barbara Corcoran, a star on "Shark Tank," said her brother John Corcoran died of an alleged heart attack while vacationing in the Dominican Republic in April. The same month, a group of Jimmy Buffet fans also said they became dangerously ill after vacationing at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao.

And the frightening headlines aren't just limited to medical emergencies. Earlier this month, retired Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz, who is from the Dominican Republic, was shot in the back at a bar in the nation's capital. And a Delaware mom said she was brutally attacked at a Dominican resort back in January.

Although they're a small fraction of the total number of tourists who visit the country — more than 2 million Americans visit every year, accounting for about one-third of the tourism to the Caribbean island — the sudden and mysterious circumstances have spooked some travelers.

While some visitors may be concerned about the vacations they have booked to the Caribbean hot spot, there are some precautions they can take to make for a safer, and thus more relaxing, trip....."

dominican-republic-today-main-190620_f6e4cb10a5548b97ba8a69685e126c07.fit-2000w.jpg

Dominican RepublicGetty Images

Richard

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Not to mention, old. That stuff must sit in there forever. I have also never used a minibar. I've never been hungry/thirsty enough to pay those prices!

We very rarely end up in a hotel these days, and price of stuff in mini bar is just outrageous -- but I always open it up just to see what they have. Only time I recall ever buying something out of a minibar was 30+ years ago at Hotel Del Coronado. I was desperate for club soda to settle my stomach, and of course the can was flat. No issue getting them to not charge me. Back in the "olden days" they had regular little fridges which allowed for taking items out to put your own stuff in. At some point they changed to the smart type fridge that instantly charged the room.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now our plan, we will only visit the Caribbean via a cruise ship. We will not eat or purchase any beverages on any Caribbean island until this mysterious is solved.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It ain't FREE. Just included in the cost.

Not only are you paying for it in your fees, you're also paying for anyone else who indulges more than you do. So instead of subsidizing their drinking, you endeavor to get "your fair share," which means drinking more than what's included in your cost (however much that may be).