TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Three Americans Have Mysteriously Died Days apart At The Same Dominican Republic Hotel

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by MULTIZ321, Jun 5, 2019.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    It's almost as dangerous to go there as it is to stay at home.

o_O

silentg and CanuckTravlr like this.
  2. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  3. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  4. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  5. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  6. CanuckTravlr

CanuckTravlr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Ocean 22
    In over 50 years of international travel, I have been fortunate to only become sick from food poisoning (or anything else) twice. The first time was a severe bout from improper refrigeration or food handling in Punta Cana, DR. Since we have had many friends and acquaintances also become sick in the DR, that normally have not experienced it elsewhere, we have chosen not to return. Like the DR, we have decided not to stay in places where you cannot drink the tap water. It is an important indication, IMO, of the state of health standards in a particular place.

Pedro, your plan to only eat and drink on cruise ships may work for you, or not. While places like the DR have experienced death and illness, the incidence rates are still relatively small compared to the millions of tourists visiting each year. But I agree, why take the chance? However, there have been many reports over the years, too, of deaths and illness occurring on cruise ships, including those of major lines. In some cases significant numbers of passengers suffering from illnesses like Legionnaire's disease. So sticking to them is not a guarantee either.

It is unfair, IMO, to tarnish the entire Caribbean due to some incidents on one island. The DR is one of the least wealthy and developed islands, so overall standards are much lower, IMO, which is what helps keep the prices low. There are several islands where visiting and consuming food and drink is quite safe, IME. That would include two of our favourites: St Martin and Barbados. You can actually drink the tap water on both islands and they generally have good safety and health procedures in place. There are also many other islands from which to choose.

Gypsy65 and Panina like this.
  7. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  8. Grammarhero

Grammarhero TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI South Bend, EY Red Float, 1BR1BA
    Williamsburg Plantation, EY Wk 15, 4LBR4BA
    Wyndham 192k pts
    Been to:
    Intl: Aruba, Aus, Bah, China, Jpn, HK, Macau, Mex
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    I’m beginning to think I’d rather drink my own piss than visit DR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY likes this.
  9. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We enjoyed traveling to St. Lucia and the ABC Islands mainly because those cruises are more than eleven(11) days in cruise traveling.

Many of our friends are retiring in the Caribbean.

10. Grammarhero

Grammarhero TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham 192k pts
    Been to:
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    Pedro what is significance of 47?

11. pedro47

47...The year of birth. Plus, the name Pedro are the first letters of the first names of my "Five Best Friends" killed in the Vietnam War Conflict. Peter, Earl, Donald, Robert and Otis. We were all borned in the year of 1947 and we were all college graduates.:(
    Love them then and I still Love & Missed them.

Your photo look liked a young couple I saw visiting GreenSprings Vacation Resort, Williamsburg,VA many, many years ago.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    silentg likes this.
  12. Grammarhero

Grammarhero TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham 192k pts
    Been to:
    God Bless You. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Sorry for your lost. Both my and my wife’s fathers were ARVN soldiers who lost biological brothers during the war. Talking about the war still makes them cry. Your service and sacrifice is personally meaningful to me and my wife.

My wife and I were in Williamsburg years ago, but I don’t believe we were at GreenSprings.

mdurette and silentg like this.
  13. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  14. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  15. "Roger"

"Roger" Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

If you look at the chart "Canadian Deaths in Top Tourist Destinations" and then compare that with the list "Canadian Visits to Top Destinations," Canadians are dying in Mexico and Cuba pretty much at the same rate as in the Dominican Republic. In other words, given the statistics in this article, the Dominican Republic does not stand out.

2,225,000 Canadian visitors to Mexico in 2016 with large numbers also visiting Cuba and the Dominican Republic. These are very large numbers. I wonder how many Canadians (and I suspect this is mostly older clientele) would have died if they had stayed home during the same period of time.

16. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

The DR , Cuba & Mexico are by far the cheapest warm AI vacation destinations that Canadians can go to. When we were in Punta Cana a few winters ago the resort employees kept referring it as Punta Canada because there were so many Canadians in the area. I would like to see the statistics broken down by age to see if most of the deaths are older and possibly already health compromised.

About 10 yrs ago one of DH's co-workers went to the DR with his wife and another couple. The hubby of the other couple was stabbed in the lobby washroom on their last night at the resort. They had finished a nice dinner and were going to have a drink at the lobby bar before going to their rooms to pack but stopped to use the washroom. A guy was hanging out in there and asking people for spare change. Both of the guys refused since they had very little 'tip money' left at the end of their vacation. DH's co-worker left the washroom and went to the front desk to complain about the guy, leaving his buddy in the washroom finishing up. The desk clerk got the manager who in turn called a security guard to go with him to the washroom. While they were on their way across the lobby DH's co-worker heard his buddy yell then saw the guy run out of the washroom and through the lobby to outside. The co-worker and the 2 wives ran with the manager to the washroom where they found the man laying on the floor bleeding from the stomach area. The security guard took off outside chasing the guy but couldn't catch him. An ambulance was called and he was taken to the local hospital with stab wounds to his spleen and intestines. He had surgery to repair everything but ended up loosing his spleen. At least he survived! The resort made arrangements for the guys wife to stay at the resort while her hubby was in the hospital and had an employee drive her to the hospital and back every day. The tour company they had booked with changed their flights home at no extra charge. I don't know if the assaulter was ever caught, but both couples said they'd never return to the island.

~Diane

17. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    HA

18. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Wow...... that’s insane. I’ve been to the DR once, that was enough for me

Free2Roam likes this.
  19. pedro47

Is this only an American tourists problem in DR? Are other countries tourists having the same problems in DR?

20. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member