• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Timeshare Relief]

hivers

Reaction score
New to TUG. Need latest assessment of the reliability of Timeshare Relief. I have tried to sell and as a new member of TUG I will list my 2 TS at a giveaway price but I doubt even that will work. I am well aware of the drawbacks & cost, but it seems I would be ahead with such a sale by being able to keep all keep my 4 weeks reservations for 2011, save my MF's on both units for this year 2010 and get out from underneath my obligations.Does anyone have any recent dealing

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Besides the cost, another major concern about these deals is whether or not the they will actually take the deed out of your name, and record it with the county and resort, in their name. If they don't, you will still be the owner and be stuck with the MF, AFTER paying them big bucks. Often these companies want you to give them power of attorney, so they can roll the week over to someone else, but that doesn't exempt you from responsibility for all future fees. So if they don't sell the TS, you will receive and be responsible for the next MF, or special assessment.

Before I paid anyone a cent, I'd make a serious effort to give it away. There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.)

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. - Totally FREE!

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2010 maintenance fees

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple professional transfer for about $100)
I've used this company and the owner is a Tugger. - Note, this is my personal recommendation, not as a representative of TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2010 for the new owner​

Good luck!

Last edited:

brawney

Reaction score
I am well aware of the drawbacks & cost, but it seems I would be ahead with such a sale by being able to keep all keep my 4 weeks reservations for 2011, save my MF's on both units for this year 2010 and get out from underneath my obligations.Does anyone have any recent dealing

As Denise said, TSR will ask for a power of attorney so they can handle a transfer (if and when they find someone to take it) and you still own it and pay for the maintenance fees for as long as they're trying. They will tell you that they have someone who is "taking" these timeshares and somehow returning them to the TS company (thats what they told me). But, make no mistake about it, this is not what they're doing. They take them and post them on eBay for $1. They have your $3,500 so they don't care what they get for it on eBay. If it doesn't sell, then you're still stuck with it and could possibly be out the $3,500 that you paid to TSR.

My impression overall is that TSR is legitimate, in the sense that they are not a total scam. But there is no guarantee that they will be able to unload it. As Denise said, try your best to give it away first.

I almost went with TSR. I talked to them for about 9 months last year and was planning to use them at the end of the year when I returned from my last trip to the TS. But then I found someone who wanted it and was able to give it away in a painless and totally legal process. The guy at TSR got pretty upset when I told him I found someone who wanted it and thanked him for all his help. I was real polite to the guy because up until then he had been real professional. But once he knew he wasn't getting my money he lost it and told me to "be a man" and don't give my TS to someone, pay him to take it.

You may want to search the forum and read up on giving it to charity, as in this thread - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43929. But a charity doesn't want it unless they can sell it, and if its worth nothing then they probably won't even take it.

I'd use TSR as a last resort. But I mean a very last resort. Good luck.

hivers

Reaction score
Thank you "Brawney" and "DeniseM" for your useful info. As a new member of TUG, I think I'll try posting it for sale on this site at a low price and see what happens. If that doesn't work I' may go the Donation route. Thanks again for your timely response.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unlikely...

I think I'll try posting it for sale on this site at a low price and see what happens. If that doesn't work I' may go the Donation route.

Don't shoot the messenger, but "donation" is not likely to be an available option if it's a low demand / low value timeshare. Charities will only accept timeshare weeks which can quickly and easily be transformed into cash to support their cause, whatever that cause may be. If you can't sell it, it's highly unlikely that they can do so either (...or even be willing to try).

Truth to tell, if it's a low value timeshare, you may have to give it away (if you can find an individual willing to take it) and you may also even have to offer to pay closing costs yourself. However, it should not be necessary to pay the likes of Timeshare Relief thousands of dollars in any scenario.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are your comments from personal experience, because if they contract to take it, they do, in my experience. While there are some timeshares they won't take, if they do take it under their offer, they will transfer to a new owner or to the holding company that does the eBay stuff. That's my experience with Timeshare Relief.

When you did business with them, did you deed the TS over to them from the start, and was the new deed recorded with the county and resort, or did you simply give them power of attorney, until it sold?