• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares and Amtrak in the west.

LizzieJake

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite timeshare that is located close to an Amtrak station? I live in Oxnard, CA. We have several timeshares and a local Amtrak station. I was wondering if there are any other cities with timeshares that a train can go to. I am so tired of the process of flying. I would love to explore more of the west and I thought it would be a wonderful way to do it.
Thanks

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here are a few in San Diego County:

Wyndham Oceanside Pier is about a half mile away from the Oceanside Amtrak/Coaster station:
https://tinyurl.com/Wyndham-Oceanside

Carlsbad Seapointe is about a half mile from the Poinsettia Coaster station. https://tinyurl.com/Seapointe-Poinsettia

Carlsbad Inn is about the same distance from the Carlsbad Village station and would have more within walking distance. https://tinyurl.com/Carlsbad-Inn-Village

There are also some timeshares closer to downtown station - not really walking distance, but you could easily uber from the Santa Fe station (no particular order):

Wyndham Harbour Lights
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Worldmark - Balboa Park
Worldmark - Inn at the Park
Worldmark - San Diego Mission Valley
Coronado Beach Resort

Great idea for a thread. I look forward to more posts from others.

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Wyndham Flagstaff is ~5 miles from the local Amtrak station, on the Southwest Chief line. Easy Uber ride over & a great location/resort.

LizzieJake

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say that our train station is about 5 miles away too. The time shares here in my neighborhood are within walking of the beach and daily yoga 3times a day in the local park and on the beach. So it's a nice distination.
Has anyone gone up north? Like to Northern California, Oregon or Washington?
I thought about San Francisco but it seemed a little more complicated. Arriving in Oakland and then a bus ride into the city.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
WM Camlin (Seattle, WA) is within walking distance to Amtrak's King Street Station. It isn't a particularly easy walk (hilly) ... but we've done it while dragging the luggage along.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Wyndham Flagstaff is ~5 miles from the local Amtrak station, on the Southwest Chief line. Easy Uber ride over & a great location/resort.
Oh, ah! Thanks for that info. We might just try that for an upcoming trip. But then again, it is only a 6 hour drive and we'll want our car while there, I'm guessing. Hmm, as we passed through Flagstaff yesterday, returning from Pagosa Springs, I wondered aloud if we might even bring the horses on our return. Looked like lovely country to explore on horseback.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
When I retired in 2015 I set off for about a 6 week Amtrak trip around the country. A number of stays were with family but I did timeshare in San Diego, New Orleans, and Chicago.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
WM Camlin (Seattle, WA) is within walking distance to Amtrak's King Street Station. It isn't a particularly easy walk (hilly) ... but we've done it while dragging the luggage along.

The problem with taking Amtrak to Seattle, and this is likely true elsewhere as well, is the time the train arrives. Passenger trains are routinely bumped to the side to let cargo trains by so you can't count on the train arriving on schedule, especially on longer routes. So while the schedule says you will arrive at 8pm, it is more usual to have it arrive at midnight and that area of town is not a place you want to be walking around after dark. Definitely plan on paying for a taxi of some sort.

A friend is a big fan of trains and takes them most places. He has joined us on occasion taking the train and we have learned, from past experience, that he needs to arrive at the meeting place the day before to allow for the delays in the train schedule. He will then grab a motel for the night and meet up with us the next day. It's worked out well.

Many of the western destinations are also places you will want a car, so taking the train to a major nearby city and then renting a car opens up most places. The train that goes along the southern border through Palm Springs, Yuma and. Tucson would a good option with easy taxi options to get to the resorts or rental cars available.
The zephyr goes through the CO rockies including Winter Park and Granby where there are timeshares or rent a car to access some of the other areas along the interstate. Salt Lake City is a short drive to Park City and all those timeshares, etc.

Sue

taffy19

Reaction score
There is an Amtrak station near Disneyland in Anaheim so also close to Club Wyndham Peacock Suites. I have never stayed there so not a recommendation.

I once departed from the Los Angeles Union Station and that was a very old building so quite interesting to see.

LizzieJake

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flagstaff and Seattle sound wonderful. Arriving early is a good idea. I really want to go to San Francisco without a car so arriving a day early might be the way to go. What is the station like in Oakland. Is it safe? Any good hotels around. Then we could head over to the city in the AM.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Flagstaff and Seattle sound wonderful. Arriving early is a good idea. I really want to go to San Francisco without a car so arriving a day early might be the way to go. What is the station like in Oakland. Is it safe? Any good hotels around. Then we could head over to the city in the AM.

I did a weekend in SF with my son and no car. It worked out just fine. I used multiple methods of transportation including train, trolley, bus and Uber. They have an app that makes it easier: Muni Mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I walk about five blocks to the Oceanside Amtrak station from my Aquamarine Villas Unit - took the Coaster to downtown San Diego and back for $5.50 (Senior Citizen rate) last week.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wouldn't stay overnight in Oakland. Check what transportation options there are from the train station to San Francisco.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I wouldn't stay overnight in Oakland. Check what transportation options there are from the train station to San Francisco.

I see that Luanne is not from California. There is no problem in staying in Oakland. However, the main train station for San Francisco is Emeryville. For no more money, you can book all the way to San Francisco and they will bus you from Emeryville.

There are also a number of hotels around the Emeryville station which might be a bit cheaper than SF if you want to spend a night there.

Of course, there are a half dozen timeshares in San Francisco.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I see that Luanne is not from California. There is no problem in staying in Oakland. However, the main train station for San Francisco is Emeryville. For no more money, you can book all the way to San Francisco and they will bus you from Emeryville.

There are also a number of hotels around the Emeryville station which might be a bit cheaper than SF if you want to spend a night there.

Of course, there are a half dozen timeshares in San Francisco.
Don't ever assume anything. ;) I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area and lived in the San Francisco Bay area for 32 years until we moved to New Mexico five years ago. We spend time in the Bay Area every year and I'm quite familiar with both Oakland and San Francisco.

When I checked where the Amrtrak stations are it shows one in Jack London Square. I know there is an Oakland station as we picked up my husband's aunt there years ago when she visited.

Since the OP is from Oxnard there will only be a few, or maybe just one, station that she can go into. She will need to take a bus, or alternate transportation to get to San Francisco.

And I said I wouldn't stay in Oakland. What someone else may decide is entirely up to them.

Last edited:

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with taking Amtrak to Seattle, and this is likely true elsewhere as well, is the time the train arrives. Passenger trains are routinely bumped to the side to let cargo trains by so you can't count on the train arriving on schedule, especially on longer routes. So while the schedule says you will arrive at 8pm, it is more usual to have it arrive at midnight and that area of town is not a place you want to be walking around after dark. Definitely plan on paying for a taxi of some sort.

I've been thinking of taking the Zephyr line from SF to SLC for quite sometime instead of flying from any Bay Area airport. The only monkey wrench that I can think of is the arrival time of 3AM @SLC. Thanks Sue, now that arrival is looking more like 7am which is perfect to get some breakfast and to catch an Uber ride to SLC (the airport) to pickup my car rental. If this works as planned, our future Yellowstone and Teton "commute" will always be by rail. I just love all the stuff and junk that we could bring.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dolphin's Cove, Winner's Circle, and basically all timeshares in San Diego are pretty close to an Amtrak station. We travelled between them on the train and it was no problem (though you might need a taxi to get to the hotel if you have any luggage). We own at Winner's Circle and walked to the station several times - I'd say it takes about 30 minutes.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are a number of stops on the Empire Builder (Chicago - Seattle) that have nearby timeshares: Leavenworth, Sandpoint, West Glacier, Whitefish.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are probably some options on the California Zephyr. The Southwest Chief has stations in Flagstaff and Santa Fe.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There are probably some options on the California Zephyr. The Southwest Chief has stations in Flagstaff and Santa Fe.
Nope, no station in Santa Fe. The station is in Lamy.