• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tourist falls into volcano caldera

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We recently hiked about six miles of the Grand Canyon Rim trail. I couldn't believe all of the people that were standing on the edge of the cliffs. These people include young kids and people of all ages taking selfies. My wife and I did go to the edge in a few places along the route but were not taking selfies.

Sometime that week that we were at the Canyon a 67 year old man went over the edge. He tripped is what the news said.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What is it with people? How many people have fallen into the Grand Canyon and died the same way - just this year? Something like six?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
And this guy was active military?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The barriers and signs are there for a reason. Ugh. So frustrating when people think that they have a special pass to skirt the rules that everyone else has to follow.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
He is fortunate to have survived. Quite frankly, I have little sympathy for this type of idiot that gives little thought about putting the lives of first responders on the line.

The really scary part is that the US Army has trained this guy and entrusted him to carry a loaded weapon into battle! Hope he shows better judgment there. Definitely provides support for an argument in favour of psychological testing as part of the pre-enlistment requirements. :doh:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were touring a Geothermal Park on North Island New Zealand. We noticed a small fence that consisted of a single small in diameter rail that was about 6 inches above the ground ( Patti claims is was about 15 inches) on small vertical posts by the Champagne Pond. I asked a Park Employee about the fence. He explained that about 25 years earlier a dog had gotten loose from the owner and jumped into the pond that was well over 250°F. The owner without hestitation or any thought jumped in to to save his dog. As can be surmised both were quickly boiled alive. There was a Government Investigation. The Government told the Geothermal Park they had to build a fence. They did.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We were touring a Geothermal Park on North Island New Zealand. We noticed a small fence that consisted of a single small in diameter rail that was about 6 inches above the ground ( Patti claims is was about 15 inches) on small vertical posts by the Champagne Pond. I asked a Park Employee about the fence. He explained that about 25 years earlier a dog had gotten loose from the owner and jumped into the pond that was well over 250°F. The owner without hestitation or any thought jumped in to to save his dog. As can be surmised both were quickly boiled alive. There was a Government Investigation. The Government told the Geothermal Park they had to build a fence. They did.

There is a similar "fence" along the edge of the viewing area on the high cliffs below the waterfall at the "Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River" in Yellowstone Park. When we were there several years ago, two young boys (the older one maybe 14 or 15) came running up from the parking area. The older one approached the "fence", continued running and hopped over it, despite lots of signs indicating danger and not to go past the "fence". I remember thinking that maybe a higher fence might have been more appropriate.

After his hop, the foot he landed on started sliding on the loose, fine, gravelly soil. He fell to the ground, feet first and continued to slide on the slight downwards slope towards the cliff edge about 12 or 15 feet away. Fortunately he came to a stop on his back with about 5 or 6 feet to spare. I remember shaking my head at the time at his apparent stupidity. There was no one close enough to save him if his momentum had taken him just that little bit further. Fortunately he had good luck that day. He was looking very sheepish when he got up, so hopefully learned an important life lesson that day. :shrug:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We recently hiked about six miles of the Grand Canyon Rim trail. I couldn't believe all of the people that were standing on the edge of the cliffs. These people include young kids and people of all ages taking selfies. My wife and I did go to the edge in a few places along the route but were not taking selfies.

Sometime that week that we were at the Canyon a 67 year old man went over the edge. He tripped is what the news said.

Bill

Bill,

We are headed to the Grand Canyon in late fall this year and that hike looks like a to-do on our list. Did you enjoy this trail and are there any others you might recommend in that area?

Thanks!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bill,

We are headed to the Grand Canyon in late fall this year and that hike looks like a to-do on our list. Did you enjoy this trail and are there any others you might recommend in that area?

Thanks!

We entered the park early from Desert View Watch Tower. The sun came up and the canyon kind of lights up in places. We then drove to the other east view points for a look. Then we drove to the visitor center and parked at the visitor center and took the park bus to Yaki Point.

From Yaki Point we walked back to the Kolob Studio to take the bus to the Hermits Rest. The problem was the crowds trying to take the bus to Hermits Rest. It looked like a 45 minute wait so we drove back to the Desert Watch Tower stopping at some of the view points we liked.

The trail kind of disappears in a few spots until it gets closer to the visitor center. Near the visitor center the trail is paved. Near Yaki Point the trail is an unimproved trail.

I did like the Grand Canyon trail but the crowds are not my thing. It was worth a real life look, imo. We did bring binoculars, water and some food.

A woman told us that there is a rest room at the bus parking. The regular restroom is crazy long lines for women. The rest room at the tour bus area was clean with no waiting. The rest room is between the visitor center and rim trail. You will see the bus parking on the park map.

Bill

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
What is it with people? How many people have fallen into the Grand Canyon and died the same way - just this year? Something like six?

Dave
They actually sell an entire book at the Grand Canyon gift shops of all the different ways people have died at the Grand Canyon. I didn't buy it although I'm sure it would be interesting, just a little too morbid for me.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
If only they had camera phones in ancient times. The natives wouldn't have had to find people to sacrifice to the volcano gods. It would have happened naturally.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They actually sell an entire book at the Grand Canyon gift shops of all the different ways people have died at the Grand Canyon. I didn't buy it although I'm sure it would be interesting, just a little too morbid for me.

There is a similar one for Yellowstone ...which I did buy and read to my children when we were staying in the park....it did make an impression on them.. they were 7, 10 and 12 at the time.