• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transportation cost from HNL to HHV

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
How does everybody get from the Honolulu airport to HHV?
What is the cost for a taxi?
Is there a more economical way to get there?
As I'm not getting a rental car on Oahu I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to HHV from the airport. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids with car seats. I'm wondering if we should take two taxis or try to arrange something larger to take us all.

Thanks for your input,

bobbi_1217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land, Hokulani
Charley's cab from the airport to the Hilton complex is $30 flat rate for two people for sure and maybe up to 4, don't recall. Other cabs run a little higher but not by much. Be sure to say the exact resort you want, Grand Islander, Lagoon Tower etc., otherwise you will be droppped at the nightmare reception area for the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel.

jestme

Reaction score
Charlies cab was $29, plus tax (about $31) each way a few weeks ago. My son, wife and two kids with car seats, including luggage. You may need two taxi's because of the six of you unless they have larger cabs, but you will know that when you book it online. It's still cheaper than the $18 each, each way, on a shuttle. I agree with bobbi_1217, let them know which tower you are going to and know where abouts it is on the property. When we went, the driver didn't know where the Kalia tower was.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That's good to know about Charlies's. HNL allows Uber now but you're forced to pay the XL rate even if you're just in an Uber X. I'm sure the taxi unions have something to do with that.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the info everyone. Will I find Charlie’s taxis out front or should I Pre book? I figured we’d need two taxis.

bobbi_1217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land, Hokulani
They are just outside the baggage claim. You shouldn't have to pre-book.

jestme

Reaction score
They are just outside the baggage claim. You shouldn't have to pre-book.
We booked in advance to get the flat rate, had to call from the baggage area once we got our baggage, and they picked us up at the shuttle area. Only took 5 minutes for them to come. If you book in advance and tell them you are 6, they may send a larger car when you arrive which could take all of you, I'm not sure.

Rman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a question here if staying at the Grand Waikikian later in march, I book charlies cab to take me there, and they will process the check-in directly at the Grand Waikikian,
Thanks
There will be five people travelling with me family of five

bobbi_1217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land, Hokulani
Yes, just tell the driver you are staying at the Grand Waikikian and the driver will drop you right at the check-in area - its a piece of cake. The Grand Waikikian and the Lagoon Tower share the same reception area. You can check your bags if the room isn't ready and they will deliver them directly to your room if you want. You can call from the room or ask the bell desk. For me, it is so much easier to let them handle the toting. The front desk will do the check-in and send a text message when the room is ready.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
How does everybody get from the Honolulu airport to HHV?
What is the cost for a taxi?
Is there a more economical way to get there?
As I'm not getting a rental car on Oahu I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to HHV from the airport. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids with car seats. I'm wondering if we should take two taxis or try to arrange something larger to take us all.

Thanks for your input,
We take the cab all the time and get right to the Grand Waikikian for the $29. We only have 2 people but we have a lots of luggage. I don't know how many people they will take or can take with luggage. We tip well(two twenties) since there is a lot of heavy luggage to put in and take out of the car. We use the bellman since the cart is totally full when he comes to the room. Another $20. There is a doorman that loads up the cart, that is another tip but I have no clue what that should be?

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used go808express shuttle service in the past. Looks like 6 passengers is $50 one way.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We take the cab all the time and get right to the Grand Waikikian for the $29. We only have 2 people but we have a lots of luggage. I don't know how many people they will take or can take with luggage. We tip well(two twenties) since there is a lot of heavy luggage to put in and take out of the car. We use the bellman since the cart is totally full when he comes to the room. Another $20. There is a doorman that loads up the cart, that is another tip but I have no clue what that should be?

When I read this over I wanted to clarify that the tip is not (two twenties) the entire amount we hand the cabbie is (two twenties) including the tip and fare.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Discount Taxi
http://www.startaxihawaii.com/

They charge a flat rate of $30 for all their vehicles. We use to use them all the time before we had kids.

Are you planning to grocery shop and cook? We rent a car for the day. When we arrive at the airport we take a rental car to HHV. We check in and husband takes the kids swimming. I drive to Costco and Don Quixote and stock up on all my groceries. I go back to the timeshare. Either that evening or the next morning my husband returns the car to the airport and takes the city bus back.

We save a bundle on all the taxis we would have taken to and from the grocery stores and airport. Not to mention what we save by cooking and shopping at Costco.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Discount Taxi

They charge a flat rate of $30 for all their vehicles. We use to use them all the time before we had kids.

Are you planning to grocery shop and cook? We rent a car for the day. When we arrive at the airport we take a rental car to HHV. We check in and husband takes the kids swimming. I drive to Costco and Don Quixote and stock up on all my groceries. I go back to the timeshare. Either that evening or the next morning my husband returns the car to the airport and takes the city bus back.

We save a bundle on all the taxis we would have taken to and from the grocery stores and airport. Not to mention what we save by cooking and shopping at Costco.
That is a really good idea and 1 I hadn’t considered. You’ve given me food for thought. We generally just pick up some breakfast and lunch stuff from the little store at HHV but as we are 4 adults this trip that may be a good idea.

Thanks.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Star Discount Taxi

Great idea on the rental car. Is there a reason you don't simply drop it off that evening at the rental lots by HHV to save time and overnight parking fees?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I will pick you up and drop you off for the same as Charlies with your generous tip

Give me a call when you come back! It is just a joke but that is a wonderful tip. Well give me a call anyway and maybe we can meet up if I am at hhv but I tend to be at Marriott koolina more often. Will be at grand islander from March 24 to April 4 if you are coming back. Then may 30 to June 17 this year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea on the rental car. Is there a reason you don't simply drop it off that evening at the rental lots by HHV to save time and overnight parking fees?

Yes. It's much more expensive to do so.