• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Insurance - Yes or No?

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
:confused: I am new at exchanging through RCI. I booked a couple weeks through them, received my confirmations and I'm a happy camper. But now I'm wondering if I should purchase the travel insurance they offer for $25.00. Could some voices of experience and advice help me out here, please?

Thanks,
Diane

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
flowergurl said:
:confused: I am new at exchanging through RCI. I booked a couple weeks through them, received my confirmations and I'm a happy camper. But now I'm wondering if I should purchase the travel insurance they offer for $25.00. Could some voices of experience and advice help me out here, please?

Thanks,
Diane

For the most part, when traveling inside the United States I pass on the travel insurance offered by either RCI or I.I. it's cheap enough but doesn't really provide all that great of coverage. The one exception is if I'm traveling to hurricane country where a resort can be damaged severe enough as to close for several months after the storm. Then I'll buy their coverage.

A good travel insurance policy should provide enough coverage to cover lost/delayed luggage and trip interuption (airlines failure to get you there resulting in added hotel/meal/transportation expenses). This is were the exhange compaines policy's fall short IMO.

Most of the time I'll shop at http://www.insuremytrip.com and compare policies and prices to see what's available. Some of them even offer car rental coverage in the package deals, which is a little extra piece of mind if you're renting a car.

For vacations that are drive to vacations, I never purchase the insurance.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually purchase the insurance and have used it twice. Once my mom was in the hospital and once I hurt my back. To me, it's worth it.
Liz

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you Liz and Doug for your thoughts. I think I will purchase it partly because my mom is 84 and you never know when a health issue and hospitalization will arise. Four days before Christmas 2003, she fell and broke her hip and we all (brothers and sisters) lived at the hospital for the entire two week Christmas school break. Better to err on the side of caution now that I think about it.

Thanks,
Diane

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Liz Wolf-Spada said:
I usually purchase the insurance and have used it twice. Once my mom was in the hospital and once I hurt my back. To me, it's worth it.
Liz

It would be in those cases but, wouldn't your own insurance cover you if you remained in the U.S.? I don't believe the RCI insurance provides hospital coverage and most other travel insurance policy's on provide secondary coverage (after your own insurance has paid).

For most peole this becomes redundant coverage as may CC's cover lost luggage and travel delay within the USA, their own health insurance covers medical, car insurance policies cover car rental damage and home owners policies cover theft of personal belonging.

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When I book an exchange a year or so out, I'll buy the insurance. Twice I was happy I did because due to serious illness we had to cancel at the last minute and we got back part of our insurance/exchange fees. And every time we travel out of the country (on organized tours) I buy the insurance Grand Circle offers because Medicare will not cover us out of country, or if we have to cancel we will get almost all (if not all) of our money back. Since we are both older we feel it's the best thing to do.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having the insurance didn't have any effect on medical treatment, but it got us back our exchange fee and our week to use at another time. So, if I have paid maybe $150 for 6 exchanges to include insurance, I got it back on the first time I needed the insurance just for the exchange fee.
Liz

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
This insurance, offered by https://www.vacationguard.com/insurance/quote.cfm is better, IMO, than RCI's at $25 per week, IF you own up to 31 days of T/S and IF you use different T/S exchange companys. It's a flat $109/yr. and it covers up to 31 days of T/S vacation per year- no matter who you exchange through. I use Trading Places International & RCI and it covers both. Also covers you if you use your OWN week.

Phil

It's not such a good deal if you own 1>12 days of T/S. The cost is $79.

Last edited:

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Phil:
If you only OWN one week, but L/O for two weeks, or rent a week from II, RCI, DAX, SFX, TPI or any other T/S elated company, will the $109 policy cover? Or only on what you own? (And is a L/O really considered 2 weeks?).

BTW= IMO I think travel with 84 Years Old mom ought to have some kind of the insurance.... The one Phil mentions even has some medical. But just getting fees & weeks back has to be better than losing the time.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
This looks good, I have to check and see if I bought RCI protection for one week next summer. I was going to contact SFX to see if they had something like this.
Liz

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Vacation Guard pays only with respect to stays where you are occupying what you own. It does not cover exchanges.

There is some language referring to reimbursement of "Exchange Fees" in the terms that might make someone think that exchanges are covered. However, the covered "Exchange Fee" is the fee, if any, that the owner must pay for substitute accommodations where the owner's week becomes uninhabitable, such as after a hurricane.

You can see all of the terms here - http://www.vacationguard.com/documentation/NWT05001.pdf

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Liz Wolf-Spada said:
Having the insurance didn't have any effect on medical treatment, but it got us back our exchange fee and our week to use at another time. So, if I have paid maybe $150 for 6 exchanges to include insurance, I got it back on the first time I needed the insurance just for the exchange fee.
Liz

I can see your point. Since we don't exchange very often this thought has never occured to me. Most of our exchanges have been our LO units for a one bedroom unit in Branson, MO. We then use that reservation for a long weekend trip rather than a weeks vacation, so losing it wouldn't be a big deal to us.

If, however, we were exchanging more weeks for real vacations, it would make a difference to us if we lost one or two of them. In that case, paying the $25 would make good common sense.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Elderly parents? It's worth it

Just to put in my 2 cents worth that with both of our parents ederly, I feel so much better booking vacations in advance since I can get the insurance. We had to use it last November when my mother-in-law went into the hospital after planning to get together for over a year and we received our change fee AND our week back right away