• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UCLA Basketball players

Status
Not open for further replies.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should they be kicked off the team for stealing while touring internationally? I think so. If not it sets a bad example for the team, UCLA and the NCAA.

I guess we will wait to see.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Since both my schools play UCLA, I hope they are still in jail when the game is scheduled:cool:

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They need to be suspended by the NCAA & UCLA until January 2018 to teach them a lesson. Thou shall not steal especially in a foreign country.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
9 players at Florida have been suspended all year for CC fraud.
That and the coach who was fired are why they're having a dismal season.

There should be a special place in hell for those who use other peep's CC's.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since both my schools play UCLA, I hope they are still in jail when the game is scheduled:cool:

Cheers

Jail??? They are on the way back to the US. I doubt they will face jail time once they arrive.

A 2 month suspension is not much considering what they did and where.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a third wheel factor in what is going to happen to these three (3) college basketball players. The parent of one of these player is an ex NBA player and a current high profile AAU coach.

Rules and Laws were broken. The NCAA, the University of UCLA and the USA name were all tarnish.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Playing sports is a privilege and not a right. I would kick them off the team, permanently, and if not punishable another way, I would have them do community service during all the hours they would have been practicing, travelling and competing. I am against athletes getting a free pass from life when they choose to not abide by rules. An international embarrassment.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
How stupid can these players be? They were accused of stealing designer sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou.....Trump is probably right that had he not intervened (assuming he actually did secure their release) they would have faced 10 years in prison in a foreign country.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I say ship them back and let them stand trial for the crimes they are accused of doing. Having the prez and/or daddy pull strings to get them out w/ a slap on their hands is repugnant.

Kurt

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
UCLA should tell them that they will honor their scholarships but that they will not be allowed to play basketball. If they want to stay, fine. If they want to transfer, also fine.

George

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I agree with pretty much all of the comments above. I think they are lucky to have gotten to come home and should suffer the consequences of their actions by being kicked out of school and not allowed to play at any others. College sports team members should set the example of what a student athlete is as they do represent their college / university.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
College sports team members should set the example of what a student athlete is as they do represent their college / university.

IMNSHO, they did:D.

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Jeeze, peep. It's not like they killed someone. Sure, they deserve a punishment, but in order of things...
This is a misdemeanor for which they should be "taken to the woodshed," not banished from the game.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Jeeze, peep. It's not like they killed someone. Sure, they deserve a punishment, but in order of things...
This is a misdemeanor for which they should be "taken to the woodshed," not banished from the game.

I agree, kind of.

Its not that big a deal by itself but it could be if there were other past convictions. Past convictions could turn a petty theft into a misdemeanor with a significant fine and possible jail time. The consequence of this theft should be more than an apology, imo. The punishment for shoplifting in China is 10 years in prison. These guys lucked out because Trump asked Xi Jinping to help out.

btw, a shoplifting conviction does hurt a persons resume.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, they were arrested for a crime which should have been handled by the jurisdiction in which the alleged crime was committed. It may be a misdemeanor in the US, but they weren't in the US. Why should they get a (relatively) free pass just because they bounce a ball around a court?

Kurt

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They are 19 years old. Would you all be so harsh if they were regular tourists, or your children/grandchildren? We do want our citizens safe in foreign countries, no matter how stupid they act. Punishments in some countries are way beyond rational. I don't care how UCLA handles this. The boys' reputations are now an embarrassment to themselves, their families, the school, the US. We will all survive this.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We do want our citizens safe in foreign countries, no matter how stupid they act.
So are you ok with foreigners coming into our country, breaking our laws, and getting off scot free? In some parts of the world, men can effectively rape women and it is not against local law. Would you be ok with those same men committing that crime against someone here? Your child or grandchild? Of course not! But I bet those men would think our punishment for rape is "beyond rational". So what is the difference here?

The point is that they were arrested for a crime -- why do you think that just because they are Americans they should not be handled through the justice system where the alleged crime took place? Is it because they are 19? So 19 year olds shouldn't be punished for crimes they commit? Is it because they are basketball players?

Please give me one good reason why those men should not be held to the laws of the country they were visiting.

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Was it actually proven that they were guilty? Perhaps this was a cultural mix-up? Sorry but comparing violent crime/ rape to shoplifting overpriced sunglasses is not a fair comparison. China is a communist country and may not operate like the U.S. with an "innocent until proven guilty" court system. Besides 10 years in prison is ridiculous for such a crime.

The media attention they received has been brutal and people will forever believe (on campus and elsewhere) that they were guilty even if they might not be. They will likely receive suspension for a period of time from UCLA. That should be punishment enough.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was it actually proven that they were guilty?
Never once have I stated they are guilty. I just think one should be held to the laws and justice system of the country they are in, because I think foreigners should be held to the laws of our country when they are here. Evidently many do not think people should follow laws when in a foreign country. Sad.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Was it actually proven that they were guilty? Perhaps this was a cultural mix-up? Sorry but comparing violent crime/ rape to shoplifting overpriced sunglasses is not a fair comparison. China is a communist country and may not operate like the U.S. with an "innocent until proven guilty" court system. Besides 10 years in prison is ridiculous for such a crime.

The media attention they received has been brutal and people will forever believe (on campus and elsewhere) that they were guilty even if they might not be. They will likely receive suspension for a period of time from UCLA. That should be punishment enough.

[political - redacted]

Really, it will be on these peoples resume that they were admitted thieves. No one will forget. Employers might forgive if these kids are super stars but for the most part I think they blew their shot at the pro level by being idiots in China.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just think one should be held to the laws and justice system of the country they are in...

Evidently many do not think people should follow laws when in a foreign country. Sad.
Kurt - Your argument is not logical:

What if I have premarital sex in a country where it is punishable by death? Do you want me to be stoned to death because that is the law there?

What if I tear a poster off the wall in North Korea? Do you want me to be tortured and murdered in prison because that is the law there?

Following the laws of another country is not the same thing as approving of the legal penalties in another country, that may be far more severe than the consequences under the US legal system.

The basketball players did a really stupid thing. But they are 19 - did you ever do a stupid thing when you were 19? I sure did!

I believe they should have appropriate consequences with the law, and their school - in the US. I don't believe their entire lives should be ruined.

Last edited:

Pens_Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if I tear a poster off the wall in North Korea? Do you want me to be tortured and murdered in prison because that is the law there?
No, but you might think that they would think twice before stealing in a similar communist country.

I don't think that they should go to jail for 3-10 years.

I do think that they should be suspended from the team for a year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm fine with them being suspended for a year. But that's a far cry from going to prison in China - as it should be.

No, but you might think that they would think twice before stealing in a similar communist country.

Apparently, they didn't, but I bet they won't do it again.

*I'd also like to see them do community service with High School age athletes - they could do a lot of good in the community.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kurt - Your argument is not logical:

What if I have premarital sex in a country where it is punishable by death? Do you want me to be stoned to death because that is the law there?

Following the laws of another country is not the same thing as approving of the legal penalties in another country, that may be far more severe than the consequences under the US legal system.
So you think that you, as an American, should decide what laws you follow when in a foreign country. That is the classic "ugly American" attitude that I personally despise. Why do you, as a non-citizen, think your views on what should and should not be a crime have any weight in a foreign country? If you don't agree with nor are willing to follow the local laws, don't visit that country. What arrogance to go into a country and think that because you are an American you can do whatever you want! Geez!

I'm done with this conversation. No wonder the world hates us.

Status
Not open for further replies.