• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upcoming Paris trip - oh boy so soon? Tips???

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, we been in what seems like an endless pack/unpack cycle all year - and our Paris trip is right around the corner (Thanksgiving week) !!! We are winding down our Lake Tahoe trip and the reality of our trip to the City of Lights is finally hitting us. And, like a wedding day, we are getting wet feet LOL

We feel SO unprepared, I mean a trip to anywhere in the USA is a walk in the park compared to a foreign land. Passport (expired : ( ) - ok we gotta get that started too.

So, any hints/advise? for such things as:
- how/when to exchange for cash, or do everyone just do the credit card thing now?

- how about good deals on Paris tickets to transits and museums, that sort of thing?

- is there a really good, recommended self-tour books for Paris?

- how best get around, say even from the airport to the hotel?

- how much French do we really need to learn? I am finding it difficult to learn even a few phrases (got a CD )

ANY advice/tips would be appreciated.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Passport (expired : ( ) - ok we gotta get that started too.

- how/when to exchange for cash, or do everyone just do the credit card thing now?

- how about good deals on Paris tickets to transits and museums, that sort of thing?

- how much French do we really need to learn? I am finding it difficult to learn even a few phrases (got a CD )

Passport - I just sent mine in for renewal after my trip to Paris. Sent in June - new passport arrived within 3 weeks.

Cash - Call your bank and confirm that your ATM card works in Europe. I found that my credit union charges no additional fees and the exchange rate from an ATM is far superior to one of those cash exchange companies. Because I already had some Euros, I didn't use an ATM at the airport, but I've found them in airports in other countries, so I would imagine that France is the same.

Tourbook - get Rick Steve's book. We found it to be very useful. He also answers questions about transportation and museum passes. We took the train from the airport to Paris. The person at the train booth spoke a bit of English and we knew what we wanted so we got the ticket to our stop and we bought a carnay (I think that's how it's spelled). A carnay is 10 tickets for the subway system. One per trip per individual. We used 2 carnays for 2 of us for a week, but we are also big time walkers. Your mileage may vary.

Museum Pass - we got the 4 day museum pass. It got us into everything we'd planned to see, except for the Eiffel Tower. It was even good for Versailles, which made it very cost effective for us. I believe they are available in 2 day, 4 day, and 6 day versions. BTW, we ended up going to some of the places covered by the museum pass that we wouldn't have gone into otherwise and we found some wonderful, interesting things to do because of the pass. I recommend it highly.

We had a translation guide and Rick Steve's book has some translations in it. We found that most people spoke at least some English but we always asked in French if they could speak English. Also, greet shopkeepers, ticket sales people, etc. with a "Bonjour" before you say anything else.

We had a fantastic time in Paris. It was our first time and I was pleased at how well everything fell into place.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Francophile suggestions

$$$ - we just returned from 2 weeks in Ireland. I had a few Euros left over from last year's trip to Italy but there will DEFINITELY be an ATM at CDG airport. Get some Euro first thing. Do NOT bring from US as you'll pay a hefty exchange fee. There is a bus that goes from CDG right into the city. Agreed, you should always ask in French "Vous parlez anglais?" It's how they do things in France. They definitely do not like Americans assuming that English is spoken, even if it is. And yes, ALWAYS greet and thank shopkeepers, again, another local custom. I would use my ATM and credit cards. Keep photocopies of your passport and credit cards away from the originals and leave copy at home with someone you can reach in case of emergency.

You definitely can purchase carnet for the Metro (subway) which is very easy to use. There are several lines and several stations that act as transfer junctions. Every station has good maps so you won't have a problem, despite the language. And I agree you should walk as much as possible as it's the BEST way to enjoy Paris.

I'd recommend a restaurant called "Le Souffle" - it's off the rue de Rivoli, not far from the Louvre. Make sure you visit Luxembourg Gardens on the left bank, near University and purchase a crepe from a stand in the park. And make sure you fill up on croissants for breakfast. After eating them in Paris, you'll never eat them stateside again :)

There are lovely restaurants near Notre Dame Cathedral and if you take your dinner there, you will have lovely view. I also love the 6th and 7th arrondissements on the Left Bank. But beware - Europe is VERY expensive. Sometimes upon first glance you'll say to yourself, 30 Euro, that isn't bad. Remember, it's not $30 but approx $45. So don't think about it, just enjoy - it's vacation.

We bought practically nothing home from Ireland as we can get everything for less here. What we did bring were memories of a fabulous country with lovely people and beautiful photos to share with our friends.

So just take in the sites and sounds and enjoy!!!! Should be a GREAT trip.

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you are packing lite, you an take the train from the airport right into the city. The train runs often and is cheap. When you get to the city, you can with the same tix go on the subway to the closest stop to your hotel. So that means you'll need to know which subway line & stop works best. The subway map lists both the train lines & subway lines on the same map (the trains are lists as REF lines) The train offers the best access to both the Eiffel Tower & the Orsay.

We traveled within the city mostly on the subway. It isn't as scenic as the bus, but sometimes we'd find ourselves on the wrong bus BUT almost never on the wrong subway. You buy a book of 10 one time only TIXs and get about a 30% discount over the regular fare. The TIXs are good for both subway, train (inside the city) and buses.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info so far - DW will digest some of the good info tomorrow and I will do the same this upcoming weekend.

Besides Rick S's book, is there another well-recommended walking-tour book of Paris, preferable small, easy-to-carry with many maps and suggested daily trips?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
On passports, many Congressmen and Senators offer a rush service through their office for constituents. That is usually the fastest way. In some states, the delegation defers to one member to handle this, and in NC for example it is Senator Richard Burr's office.

As to guidebooks, my preferences are Lonely Planet and Rough Guide, since In Your Pocket is not in France yet.

From airport to hotel, the RER train and then subway is what I always use, but then I travel light. With a bit more luggage, take the Roissybus into the city and then a taxi.

For getting around within the city, the carnet of tickets is better than individual tickets, but I usually prefer the all day ticket if I am going to be travelling much at all. I beleive it is called Visite Paris, and has some additional benefits. It is particularly good on day of arrival since it also covers the RER train from CDG airport into the city.

For credit cards in western Europe (not eastern yet, however), you will need a PIN or you cannot use it. If you do not have one on your present cards, check with your bank and get it.

While exchange houses are the way to go in most of eastern Europe, their rates, and often commissions as well make them a bad way to exchange in any country that uses the €. ATM's are a better bet, but try to use one connected to a bank. Sometimes freestanding ATM's, including those at airports and train stations can give you a nasty surprise with extra fees.

I found I could get around Paris okay with English.

One day trip I would definitely recomment is to Versailles palace.

I would also suggest taking a boat sightseeing excursion on the Seine.

Ok, we been in what seems like an endless pack/unpack cycle all year - and our Paris trip is right around the corner (Thanksgiving week) !!! We are winding down our Lake Tahoe trip and the reality of our trip to the City of Lights is finally hitting us. And, like a wedding day, we are getting wet feet LOL

We feel SO unprepared, I mean a trip to anywhere in the USA is a walk in the park compared to a foreign land. Passport (expired : ( ) - ok we gotta get that started too.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We applied for our passports around July 27th, and got them a this week.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tourbook:: I always loved the Michelin Green Guide, light weight and VERY comprehensive. You can pick and choose from among many walks, and there is great detail in each.

Enjoy it ! Paris is among my favorite cities, probably number 1.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We applied for our passports around July 27th, and got them a this week.
Just mailed our Passport extension request on Friday...crossing my fingers the $75 x 2 will mean good, fast service.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

For credit cards in western Europe (not eastern yet, however), you will need a PIN or you cannot use it. If you do not have one on your present cards, check with your bank and get it....
I called my Chase Visa card (Marriott), they say no need for PIN unless I use an ATM. Are you sure?

Man, what is this 2% surcharge for using my Visa overseas? WOW

One day trip I would definitely recomment is to Versailles palace.
Is this included in the Museum pass?

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called my Chase Visa card (Marriott), they say no need for PIN unless I use an ATM. Are you sure?

We used our Schwab Visa card. There are no overseas fees. But, you do have to have a Schwab account. We specifically applied for this card for our trip to Europe. We have been using it ever since we returned. We get a 2% cash back that is put into our account. There is no yearly fee. Recently, it was listed as one of the top 3 credit cards.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just got back and bought the Museum pass. Versaille is Included in the museum pass.

Have a great trip!

Jen

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For getting around within the city, the carnet of tickets is better than individual tickets, but I usually prefer the all day ticket if I am going to be travelling much at all. I beleive it is called Visite Paris, and has some additional benefits. It is particularly good on day of arrival since it also covers the RER train from CDG airport into the city.

I would also suggest taking a boat sightseeing excursion on the Seine.
To combine sightseeing on the Seine with basic transportation between points (in addition to your multi-day book of tickets for the Metro), you can buy a multi-day ticket for the Batobus:

http://www.batobus.com/english/8escale.htm

Designed especially for visitors, the Batobus passes are for as many trips as you like during a specific period of time.
No need to wait to buy a ticket.
1 - day Pass: €12
(€6 for children under 16, €8 Privilege rate ticket*)

2 - day Pass**: €16
(€8 for children under 16, €11 Privilege rate ticket*)

5 - day Pass**: €19
(€9 for children under 16, €13 Privilege rate ticket*)

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Paris Walking tours

You might try these walks. I think they are affiliated with London Walks but I do not know for sure.

http://www.paris-walks.com/

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The only ones that I use simply because they do not charge "Excessive Fees" are my Credit Union for ATM use and Capital One for Charges. I stopped using Master Card, Visa and AMEX since they tack on more fees than I can tolerate. I sometimes think they charge for just looking at something with their card in my wallet.:annoyed:

Cheers

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Paris and Barcelona. Paris was wonderful. My credit union did not charge any fees for using ATM withdrawal in either city. My mother in law's credit union did charge a ridiculous fee for each withdrawal. Call your credit union today and ask. ATM can be the safest, most convienient way to manage cash, but you've got to check it out ahead of time.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from 5 nights in Paris.
Did the On/Off Batobus the first day- which gave us a good orientation of the city. Cruised both during daylight and in the evening. Stopped at the Eiffel Tower and for dinner near one of the stops.

Bought the Museum pass and it was definately worth it- probably saved us an hour of waiting at the Orseey Museum- Buy the pass at your hotel or one of the lesser museums.
Went to the Eiffel Tower during the day- only to the lower platform- and the Arc De Triomphe at night.

Prices are sky high.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back

We did a one day trip to Paris from England. For getting around, I bought a visitor bus pass and we took the public bus. It came complete with a map for about $15 US. The hop on-hop off bus might also be a good way to go. Didn't try it, but might next time. Things are costly there, so if you can book here and pay in dollars, I would. I exchanged $100 US in London and ended up with 54 Euros. Not good, but it paid for lunch and a few snacks.

Check these out:
http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Paris-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d479-2916PAR?pref=02&aid=g3254
http://www.travelsignposts.com/Paris/paris_bus_tourist.php

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I exchanged $100 US in London and ended up with 54 Euros. Not good, but it paid for lunch and a few snacks.
...[/URL]

We just finished setting up a Bank of America checking acct so we can take out money at the ATM for no charge (except for the exchange rate) at BNP Paribas ATMs. I hope this helps me with some of the costs going there.

your Euro to US seems outrageously high at ( 100 / 54 =) 1.85 . Today's Euro/USD exchange rate is approx 1.46. How did you get this exchange? I would be sure to AVOID when I am over there!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
your Euro to US seems outrageously high at ( 100 / 54 =) 1.85 . Today's Euro/USD exchange rate is approx 1.46. How did you get this exchange? I would be sure to AVOID when I am over there!

Watch out for fees at exchange houses. The best bet is the ATM plan you have chosen.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just get plug adapters

I found this handy dandy converter. Will this work over in Paris (and Europe, for that matter) ?

I wish to take my cell phones and laptops and camera charger and use the power in the hotel ...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299211&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Most electronics are Dual Voltage these days. If you look at either your charger or device, it will probably say 110/220 or 120/240 or some combination. All you need is a plug adapter. You can get them at any number of places including Wal Mart. All they are is a gizmo to take your US style plug and transfer it to the Euro style plug. You then use your own "Brick" or charger to power/recharge your device.

Cheers

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most electronics are Dual Voltage these days. If you look at either your charger or device, it will probably say 110/220 or 120/240 or some combination. All you need is a plug adapter. You can get them at any number of places including Wal Mart. All they are is a gizmo to take your US style plug and transfer it to the Euro style plug. You then use your own "Brick" or charger to power/recharge your device.

Cheers

Does the one I listed in the Costco link above:
1) perform the 220->110 conversion ? [my laptop does not have the dual voltage charger : ( so I would likely need a converter ]
2) include the plug adaptor to plug into my hotel's wall socket?

Another thing, I ran across an article talking about VOLTAGE and HERTZ .

Assuming I am buying a converter (like the CostCo one), IF my converter does NOT account for this 50 hertz in paris, will that damage my cell phones, computer, and camera battery/charger ?

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/art...ricity-Voltage,-Plugs-&-Sockets-in-France/571

your electrical appliances in France.

Electricity Voltage in France

Mainland France and Monaco both operate on 220 Volts and 50Hz on AC. The electricity system in Andorra is slightly different, operating on a combination of 220 Volts and 125 Volts, both at 50Hz.

The US and Canada both operate on 120 Volts and a supply of 60Hz which means is you intend on taking any electrical appliances with you on vacation to France you’ll need to buy some continental electricity adaptors.

Electric voltage transformers for France

While it’s fairly easy to buy electric voltage adapters that enable American electrical appliances to work in France, it’s important to know the difference between voltage and Hz. Many electrical transformers will transform the voltage but not the Hz rate. The Hz rate, among other things, is responsible for determining the rate at which a motor in an electrical appliance works. This means if you are running an American electrical appliance in France with a transformer, there’s still a chance it wont work at the optimum rate it’s designed to.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
50 v 60 Hertz will not really affect things that do not have a motor. Your Cell Phone, etc will work fine. If you took a Hair Dryer for some reason, it would not work very well.

Are you sure your laptop is not dual voltage? How old is it? I would check the Mfg Web Site to make sure it is NOT dual voltage for any device you are taking.

If all else fails, major hotels usually have converters and adapters to loan. ;)

Cheers