• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UPDATE: RCI CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT - must read for all RCI members [Includes Results]

Would you like to see a specific statement from RCI that it will not retaliate

• Yes, I would be more comfortable seeing such a statement if I felt I could trust that it was true

Votes: 229 86.7%
  • No, I do not feel such a statement is necessary

Votes: 35 13.3%

• Total voters

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am horrified as I read this post. My husband and I became RCI members in October, 2009. We have not yet exchanged a week but I have called and tried to find out if certain weeks are available. All RCI wants is to have me bank my week. Fortunately, my mom warned me not to bank unless I have an available exchange property confirmed.

I haven't been able to read all of the threads. I'm hoping someone can tell me if anything has changed since the lawsuit.

Thanks for any updates.

To summarize years of conflicting reports and observations let me say the bottom line is that RCI (& II) is now far more interested in renting timeshare deposits than facilitating an exchange between two or more owners as they originally set out to do. Clearly it is in their best interest to do so as they get paid (annual membership) to take free inventory from members and then face a choice. Do they get the (to my feeling) high set exchange fee of $169+/- to supply the service you expect of finding you a fair trade to a different resort/date and then finding another member that wants yours (for another set fee) OR do they take your deposit, as well as many/most others, and simply dangle them in front of every possible renter for $300-$1000 and be done with it? The use cost them NOTHING so any rental money above the trade fee is gravy to them and saves the extra work/time of actually making trades as they are being paid to do. Which do you think they prefer?

Now the ill-advised lawsuit this thread refers to has given legal blessing for them to do just that - rent the free deposits they get as a standard process rather than even attempt to fulfill the actual reason for their existence - make fair TRADES for members.

So a long standing TUG rule/advice has come to the forefront. You should only buy timeshare to USE - that is where the value is. Owning with the idea that you want a different resort most years and paying the fees and dealing with the costs & uncertainty of trades makes owning to trade a losing proposition.

Would I use RCI Weeks to try to trade my timeshares now? Absolutely not. There are other exchange companies that don't have rentals as their top priority and if you must trade you should look at those options. A few, far from all, are SFX, Trading Places, RedWeek - look around. I would NOT recommend Interval International (II) as they have far too many games they also play like RCI and have both membership & annual fees in addition to exchange fees that can add up to close to another annual fee for you.

The best thing is to use your resort OR rent it. Once you have the cash for your rental (not as easy as it sounds) you can easily take advantage of the depressed rental market to get exactly what you want with far more choices than any trade will ever get you reliably. Or do a direct trade with other owners looking to visit resorts outside their own. There is an active direct exchange area right here on TUG.

Bottom line - avoid RCI & II. They are not member friendly and far too costly to be viable. Good luck.

Last edited:

laurieb126

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info, John. We went into this completely blind. We never thought we would fall for this since we are usually savvy consumers, but unfortunately we did buy with the idea of exchanging. We have been to our home resort in Cabo twice and we are ready to go elsewhere.

I was not aware that I had a choice of exchange companies to use. How can I go about using another exchange company?

Again, thank you.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask this stupid question: I filed my $15 payment from RCI in January, this year. And I have not received the refund. I called the # of that website I filed (Settlement claim website), but no one is there but recording. Is there a way to get my refund back? How? I only have a printout of my claim. thanks.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info, John. We went into this completely blind. We never thought we would fall for this since we are usually savvy consumers, but unfortunately we did buy with the idea of exchanging. We have been to our home resort in Cabo twice and we are ready to go elsewhere.

I was not aware that I had a choice of exchange companies to use. How can I go about using another exchange company?

Again, thank you.

You can learn about them and join through their websites:

www.daelive.com

www.htse.net

www.sfx-resorts.com

www.tradingplaces.com

www.platinuminterchange.com

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask this stupid question: I filed my $15 payment from RCI in January, this year. And I have not received the refund. I called the # of that website I filed (Settlement claim website), but no one is there but recording. Is there a way to get my refund back? How? I only have a printout of my claim. thanks.

Yeah, it just occurred to me that I haven't heard anything from them yet so I looked up this thread to see if any progress has been made.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends upon whether your resort is affiliated only with RCI or if it's dual affiliated with both RCI and II. You can find out by asking your resort's management or going to www.intervalworld.com and searching the Resort Directory to see if it's listed. If you find your resort in II's online directory, you can join online. Click the "join today" link in the upper right corner of II's home page and then follow the instructions. II will charge you a membership fee and verify your ownership.
If your resort is not affiliated with II, you can't join or use II for exchanges. But you can join and us one or more of the independent exchange companies. These are also a less expensive alternative to RCI and II.

www.sfx-resorts.com This one only takes their idea of high quality weeks
www.daelive.com/ Dial an Exchange
www.htse.net Hawaii Timeshare Exchange
www.tradingplaces.com/ Trading Places International
www.platinuminterchange.com/ Platinum Interchange

Just follow the directions on the website if you want to join any of these. You can communicate with the reps of several on TUG. Look for the "Ask" forums under the "Exchanging" forum.

lizmit

Reaction score
In the dark

Jennie thank you for taking the time and effort to follow this and report to us. I had no idea that there was a class action lawsuit, I never saw the "ad" in the magazine nor have I received any notice.

I've always thought exchanging through RCI was a pain, but assumed it was because we own a Pueblo Bonito property and have to go through a different phone number to exchange.

I'm off to search the web for more info on this - thanks again!
~ Liz

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this thread recently and haven't really had the time to read all the posts.

So, as an RCI member, am I entitled to any compensation or other benefits? What does this mean to me?

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this thread recently and haven't really had the time to read all the posts.

So, as an RCI member, am I entitled to any compensation or other benefits? What does this mean to me?

I believe the time for filing a claim with RCI to receive any compensation is long gone, so at this point it doesn't mean much other than RCI is allegedly going to make some policy changes in the way it handles exchanges. However, I wasn't as deeply involved (although I did file a letter with the court in support of the plaintiffs) in the case as some others on this site, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable could weigh in on your question.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not yet exchanged a week but I have called and tried to find out if certain weeks are available. All RCI wants is to have me bank my week. Fortunately, my mom warned me not to bank unless I have an available exchange property confirmed.

From all of my past experiences with RCI, you have to bank a week before you can search or know what is available. Now, I did hear something in the negotiations with RCI that there might be a small window where you could 'search first,' but I'm not sure that was ever put in place.

Can anyone confirm?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It was in there alright but

From all of my past experiences with RCI, you have to bank a week before you can search or know what is available. Now, I did hear something in the negotiations with RCI that there might be a small window where you could 'search first,' but I'm not sure that was ever put in place.

Can anyone confirm?

It (request first) was absolutely included in the settlement agreement - I believe for three years. But how it was implemented - or IF it was implemented as promised - no idea. I have no deposits in weeks nor anything I care to put in except Wyndham points as a deposit and they have always had request first with RCI (one of very few that did).

So what the status of Request First is for the regular RCI member is an unknown. Hopefully someone has tries it and can update us all on how it works.

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John,

To help clarify, the following information is offered:

While it would have been a great benefit to Class Members, "Request First," was not granted to any and all RCI Members for three years following the effective date of the Settlement.

The original Settlement provided options for RCI Members to make a claim against RCI. Those options to make a claim ended in 2009 well before the Settlement became final.

If an RCI Member chose to make a claim, what that RCI Member was to receive upon approval of the Settlement turned out to be the equivalent of "trinkets" worth very little to the RCI Member compared to the enormous benefit that RCI gained with the Court approved endorsement of their ability to rent our deposited weeks.

Some RCI Members accepted their choice of one of the offers and objected to the Settlement. Others objected and specifically did not make a claim because they felt that making a claim would in effect contradict their objection.

But, the vast majority of RCI Members either never realized they had an option or if they did realize an option existed they chose to ignore it.

Those who chose to fill out the Claim Form and then picked the "Search First" option are allowed to make a one-time "Search First" between July, 2010 and July 10, 2012.

To those who are curious or want an update, a link is provided below:

RCI CLAIM OPTIONS

Ikare

Reaction score
IT appears the class action settlement is worth nothing

I received my email July 15, 2010 advising I had received my "one night free rental" as part of the RCI settlement....all I can say is good luck trying to use it! I have tried multiple times to book a 5 night nightly rental only to be told I had to book a full week to use the one free night....but that is NOT what the settlement says. THE SETTLEMENT SAYS: "Free Rental Night. If a Settlement Class Member selects this benefit, RCI shall provide the Settlement Class Member with one free night stay at any RCI Rental offered as single night stays, subject to availability, to be used toward the same room of any paid Rental of at least one night. The Rental must be reserved within one year of the Effective Date.

After all of this I feel this is another method RCI is using to not honor the settlement ordered by the courts.....shame on RCI!

taffy19

Reaction score
John,

To help clarify, the following information is offered:

While it would have been a great benefit to Class Members, "Request First," was not granted to any and all RCI Members for three years following the effective date of the Settlement.

The original Settlement provided options for RCI Members to make a claim against RCI. Those options to make a claim ended in 2009 well before the Settlement became final.

If an RCI Member chose to make a claim, what that RCI Member was to receive upon approval of the Settlement turned out to be the equivalent of "trinkets" worth very little to the RCI Member compared to the enormous benefit that RCI gained with the Court approved endorsement of their ability to rent our deposited weeks.

Some RCI Members accepted their choice of one of the offers and objected to the Settlement. Others objected and specifically did not make a claim because they felt that making a claim would in effect contradict their objection.

But, the vast majority of RCI Members either never realized they had an option or if they did realize an option existed they chose to ignore it.

Those who chose to fill out the Claim Form and then picked the "Search First" option are allowed to make a one-time "Search First" between July, 2010 and July 10, 2012.

To those who are curious or want an update, a link is provided below:

RCI CLAIM OPTIONS
I received a postcard from RCI to make a request first but I have no deposits. I don't remember reading that it was good for a limited time only but may try it with my Buganvileas bonus week. This is allowed and they even recommended it because it gives them a new prospect to give a presentation to. I have still ten bonus weeks left so may try to see if it really works. :)

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a postcard from RCI to make a request first but I have no deposits. I don't remember reading that it was good for a limited time only but may try it with my Buganvileas bonus week. This is allowed and they even recommended it because it gives them a new prospect to give a presentation to. I have still ten bonus weeks left so may try to see if it really works. :)

Let us know how it goes. I didn't accept any trinkets so guess I missed it. What a crock.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got My Check from RCI

Now that I got my $15 check from RCI as part of their settlement agreement, it must be time to look for another timeshare!!!:eek:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my check from RCI today

A big $15 check from the settlement. Better than a sharp stick in the eye, I suppose.:ponder:

Sue

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received a letter from RCI last summer about the settlement. I called them back. They said they wanted to make sure they had all my info correct, and what my RCI number was. I told them we no longer had a RCI membership. We cancelled it. We are still waiting, and no $15 check from RCI.

I called RCI today, and they told me that since I cancelled my membership prior to April 2010, that we would not receive anything. I laughed so hard. Just like RCI to screw people coming and going.
Darlene

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
on ebay you could get 15 new timeshares.. :)

wow that a lot of money be careful with all that cash. :cool:

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With that amount of cash or the equivalent "Trinkets" you might have been able to buy all of Manhattan Island back when the local Indians sold it!

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my $15 Check from RCI!!!

Jumping for joy. :cheer: I assume it must be part of a class action settlement. Do we have a great legal system or what?! :cool:

Charles

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[Moderator Note: hudshut's comment below refers to the post by nightnurse613. That thread entitled: Got My Check From RCI was merged into the RCI Class Action Thread on the night of October 9, 2010 ]

You got yours "early". Ours just arrived today.

Last edited by a moderator:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this for that settlement that's been talked about on these boards (I believe there is a "sticky" on the exchange boards)?

I am an RCI member and I haven't received any info about this. Did I have to file a complaint/application for this reimbursement? Is it too late to do so?

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is this for that settlement that's been talked about on these boards (I believe there is a "sticky" on the exchange boards)?

I am an RCI member and I haven't received any info about this. Did I have to file a complaint/application for this reimbursement? Is it too late to do so?

LannyPC,

Yes, the thread that you originally responded to was initiated by nightnurse613 on Septermber 9, 2010 and has (as of tonight) been merged into the STICKY Thread about the RCI Class Action.

The Class Action Lawsuit has been settled. To receive any of the "trinkets" such as the option to get a $15.00 check from RCI you would have had to respond to the offer over a year ago.

It is now way to late to do so!