• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

US Passport to and from Canada Question

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are driving to Canada from USA the first part of August this year and our daughters passport expires the end of August. I know for travel by plane and boat to some countries, you need to have a least 6 months left on your passport. Is that true to travel by auto to and from Canada?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Why not go ahead and get your Daughter a new Passport. Last Fall we got ours in about 3 weeks.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are driving to Canada from USA the first part of August this year and our daughters passport expires the end of August. I know for travel by plane and boat to some countries, you need to have a least 6 months left on your passport. Is that true to travel by auto to and from Canada?
My understanding is that the 6 month rule applies, like you said, when boarding boats and planes. I always thought that a rule of the boat or plane company. Sometimes you can also be required a passport with an expiration of 6 months or more into the future when getting a visa.
Well, you are not getting on a boat or plane, and Canada does not require a visa to enter.
So it would seem you are ok.
Even if your passport were to expire while you or your daughter were in Canada, you could go over to the nearest US embassy in Canada and get a new passport after your passport's expiration. I'd caution you that it's a lot more hassle and more expensive to get a passport at a US embassy than it is in the US, but it is doable.
Also, I've seen CBP agents let Americans with expired passport pass through the land border with Mexico. The particular situation I saw is that a kid of a family travelling together had an expired passport, so rather than make everyone stay in Mexico, they allowed the whole family through. The parents of the kid alleged they didnt know the kid's passport had expired, and produced a birth certificate as well. So even coming back with an expired passport is a possibility, although I would highly advise against it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the Canadian Gov't page on travel with minor (under 18) children: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/minors.asp I didn't see anything about 6 month's validity, but why chance it? Renew the daughter's passport and she's good to go for another 5 years.

Jim

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Three years ago a family member from England came to visit us (in Canada) with 6 weeks left on his passport (from the date he was flying home). He had checked (on line) when booking his flights and was told Canada didn't enforce the 6 mos before expiry rule. Nobody said anything to him about the date until his return to England where he was reminded of the expiry date as he was passing through customs at Heathrow.

Things may have changed recently. YMMV.

~Diane

Meow

Reaction score
No matter what they say on Government Websites or at embassies, border guards (both U.S and Canadian) will exercise their discretionary powers on site. Why take a chance. You have plenty of time to renew the expiring passports.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why take a chance. You have plenty of time to renew the expiring passports.
I don't see the OP as taking even a small chance. He and his kid are traveling with a valid, unexpired passport. I would not throw away time left in my child's passport just to be unnecessarily safe. It costs both time and money to get a new passport, and the new passport's clock will start ticking toward expiration as soon as it's issued. Because of that I would delay getting a new passport for my kid as long as possible.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with others who say don't take the risk, especially when the passport is so near its expiration date.

Dori

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is a Canada Border Services Officer and she advised me that your daughter requires a valid passport (which she has). Canada does not have the 6 month requirement as some other countries do. With minors they are more concerned with abductions. You might get a friendly reminder that the passport is due to expire in case you weren't aware of it.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
For Canadians/Americans travelling between the US/Canada as long as your passport will be valid when you intend to return you are okay. The six month rule doesn't apply. We've travelled via air/land both directions with some passports (two of our kids hold American passports, the other two have Canadian) that were expiring within a month with no issues or even second looks.

myspinnekop

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enter USA from Canada quite often......and they always ask to see passports.We are Canadians.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We enter USA from Canada quite often......and they always ask to see passports.We are Canadians.
They check everyone's passports when you enter the USA.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 6 months rule exist from Canada to USA if you want to pass by the self service scan machine at the airport. My daughter's passport has been rejected 30 minutes ago by the scan machine because it expires in 2 months. We had to pass by the regular custom clearance without any problem because the rule says that the passport must be valid for your all trip.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only. Please obtain a new passport for your daughter, so much is changing in the world and so are the rules.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not if you have NEXUS ;)
Really? I have Global Entry and not only do I have to scan my passport at the kiosk I have to show it to the Customs agent. I didn't realize it was different for NEXUS.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
i have Nexus too, and flying back in, I had to briefly show my passport and kiosk printout to Customs agent. Driving back in to states, we waved our RFID Nexus cards at the scanner, but still did a quick slow down at the gatehouse. We've only used it one time driving back, so don't know if stopping is the usual practice.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not if you have NEXUS ;)
This was our experience driving between the USA and Canada with Nexus. They already have verified your passports in the system, so you only have to waive your Nexus card and stop for declaration at the booth. Neither time, when entering Canada or entering the USA did they ask to see our passports.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
i have Nexus too, and flying back in, I had to briefly show my passport and kiosk printout to Customs agent. Driving back in to states, we waved our RFID Nexus cards at the scanner, but still did a quick slow down at the gatehouse. We've only used it one time driving back, so don't know if stopping is the usual practice.
Yes, stopping at the gate is normal. You still have to stop to provide verbal declarations for customs purposes. Nexus isn't a free pass. We used Nexus for the first time driving to and back from Canada last weekend. Couldn't have been easier. We even stopped at the Ambassador Bridge Duty Free store on the way back to the USA. No problems as long as you declare what you are bringing with you.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? I have Global Entry and not only do I have to scan my passport at the kiosk I have to show it to the Customs agent. I didn't realize it was different for NEXUS.

The NEXUS card can be used by itself in the GE machine but you should always have your passport with you. Just put the NEXUS in face-up. How you get treated then depends on the airport and whether you've declared anything. If I declare food the slip tells me to report to baggage control and then always asked to see my passport. US bound - if I don't have anything to declare they just take a look at the slip in Montreal and then waive me through. For some reason in Vancouver they always ask to see my passport. Toronto it is about 50-50. Officially the NEXUS card is supposed to be sufficient by itself for air travel but CBP seems to not read their own policies :)

Going into Canada is even easier, rarely am I asked for a passport (only when I've been "randomly selected" for secondary).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, stopping at the gate is normal. You still have to stop to provide verbal declarations for customs purposes. Nexus isn't a free pass. We used Nexus for the first time driving to and back from Canada last weekend. Couldn't have been easier. We even stopped at the Ambassador Bridge Duty Free store on the way back to the USA. No problems as long as you declare what you are bringing with you.

We usually cross by land where the NEXUS lane is closed most of the time so you do have to stop at the normal booth and give a declaration - but I've found it is much less invasive than when we use our passports. If we do use the NEXUS only lane we just tap our cards and drive straight through without having to talk to anyone.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I believe there is also the option on an " enhanced drivers licence "

I believe New York State offers it . Somewhat similar to Nexus .
With it there is no need for a passport if you are driving across the border .

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The NEXUS card can be used by itself in the GE machine but you should always have your passport with you. Just put the NEXUS in face-up. How you get treated then depends on the airport and whether you've declared anything. If I declare food the slip tells me to report to baggage control and then always asked to see my passport. US bound - if I don't have anything to declare they just take a look at the slip in Montreal and then waive me through. For some reason in Vancouver they always ask to see my passport. Toronto it is about 50-50. Officially the NEXUS card is supposed to be sufficient by itself for air travel but CBP seems to not read their own policies :)

Going into Canada is even easier, rarely am I asked for a passport (only when I've been "randomly selected" for secondary).
I thought you can only use the Nexus card at a Nexus kiosk? I didn't think you could use it when entering the US through an airport other than it being a Canadian entry/exit point? I was told at our Nexus interview that GE was tied to our passport, when we use GE we should scan our passport.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought you can only use the Nexus card at a Nexus kiosk? I didn't think you could use it when entering the US through an airport other than it being a Canadian entry/exit point? I was told at our Nexus interview that GE was tied to our passport, when we use GE we should scan our passport.

I was told the same thing in my interview. It is true that if you are enrolled in GE then you cannot use your GE card for entry - you must use your passport which is enrolled in GE. The key is that while Nexus allows you to use the GE terminals at pre-clearance facilities in Canada, Nexus is legally not GE - although you do get the GE privileges.

The GE machine will read the ID information on the back of the Nexus card just like it does the passport and then ask for your fingerprints. I've done this at least six times in 2017. I'm just too lazy to take my passport out of my carryon if I don't have to and the card fits nicely into a special pocket on my favourite travel shirt.

I should note that this only applies to pre-clearance facilities at Canadian airports. If clearing at an airport in the US arriving from another country then you have to use your passport. Also, if you have children under 14 who have not had fingerprints taken you cannot use their card in the GE machine - you will have to use their passport.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Even if your passport were to expire while you or your daughter were in Canada, you could go over to the nearest US embassy in Canada and get a new passport after your passport's expiration. I'd caution you that it's a lot more hassle and more expensive to get a passport at a US embassy than it is in the US, but it is doable.
QUOTE]

There is only one US embassy in Canada. It's in Ottawa. It would be the nearest consulate that one would go to -- Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, or Vancouver.