• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use to work in sales at Wyndham

Jmama9643

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am new to this site. I looked and did a few searches, and am not seeing any threads on some of my questions. So, am hoping Ron, or Exsalesman, or any other TUG member can answer some of my questions on the changes Wyndham has been making in the past few years. I have been a Fairfield/Wyndham owner for about 20 years, and therefore have seen a LOT of changes, some good, and most bad. Here are some of the latest changes that are REALLY Burning me up because they go against what the Sales People told ALL of us when we purchased our points. I am Platinum with Wyndham Purchases, and have additional Resale points that I rent out. So, here are some of my questions:
1. How is it legal, or the Right Thing to do, that when we cancel and TRY to rebook in our 'Upgrade' window that now the units VERY SELDOM come back on the system!? Obviously Wyndham is keeping these for the Rental Programs! I don't care if they are renting these points for other owners that do not wish to rent them their self, I just think it should be a 'Fair Fight' for the units! They should have to use THE SAME SYSTEM we do to grab these weeks! I DO NOT Like to use points at FULL COST for either my Own Vacations OR for rentals! Most locations are a TOTAL RIPOFF at Full Price! Hence the Reason I listened to the Sales Person(s) that convinced me to Buy More Points so I could Cancel and Rebook to get a REASONABLY Priced Vacations!!! Oh, AND Said that I could RENT THEM!!!
2. I have noticed that Just Recently Wyndham has started RAISING the Cost in Points for usage at long established Resorts, such as Branson, Grand Desert, and I am sure MANY Others! What used to be 105k is now 108k for a 1 Bedroom Deluxe during Peak Season. And I am noticing even HIGHER changes on Larger units, and other locations! I KNOW for a FACT that MANY Sales People told me that 'These points 'cost' for each resort WOULD NEVER CHANGE!!!' This is TOTAL BULLCRAP and we should NOT ALLOW this to take place!!! I may do an in-depth review of my OLD Wyndham Books and review the Points cost compared to now on these resorts!
3. How can Wyndham claim that we cannot Rent Our Own Points when THEY ARE NOW IN THE FREAKING RENTAL BUSINESS!!!???
I know I have more questions, But for now I would like to find out what any of you know about these 'newer' situations and changes to the way Wyndham is SCREWING us AGAIN!!!
Thanks for your input!

IsaiahB

Reaction score
I am new to this site. I looked and did a few searches, and am not seeing any threads on some of my questions. So, am hoping Ron, or Exsalesman, or any other TUG member can answer some of my questions on the changes Wyndham has been making in the past few years. I have been a Fairfield/Wyndham owner for about 20 years, and therefore have seen a LOT of changes, some good, and most bad. Here are some of the latest changes that are REALLY Burning me up because they go against what the Sales People told ALL of us when we purchased our points. I am Platinum with Wyndham Purchases, and have additional Resale points that I rent out. So, here are some of my questions:
1. How is it legal, or the Right Thing to do, that when we cancel and TRY to rebook in our 'Upgrade' window that now the units VERY SELDOM come back on the system!? Obviously Wyndham is keeping these for the Rental Programs! I don't care if they are renting these points for other owners that do not wish to rent them their self, I just think it should be a 'Fair Fight' for the units! They should have to use THE SAME SYSTEM we do to grab these weeks! I DO NOT Like to use points at FULL COST for either my Own Vacations OR for rentals! Most locations are a TOTAL RIPOFF at Full Price! Hence the Reason I listened to the Sales Person(s) that convinced me to Buy More Points so I could Cancel and Rebook to get a REASONABLY Priced Vacations!!! Oh, AND Said that I could RENT THEM!!!
2. I have noticed that Just Recently Wyndham has started RAISING the Cost in Points for usage at long established Resorts, such as Branson, Grand Desert, and I am sure MANY Others! What used to be 105k is now 108k for a 1 Bedroom Deluxe during Peak Season. And I am noticing even HIGHER changes on Larger units, and other locations! I KNOW for a FACT that MANY Sales People told me that 'These points 'cost' for each resort WOULD NEVER CHANGE!!!' This is TOTAL BULLCRAP and we should NOT ALLOW this to take place!!! I may do an in-depth review of my OLD Wyndham Books and review the Points cost compared to now on these resorts!
3. How can Wyndham claim that we cannot Rent Our Own Points when THEY ARE NOW IN THE FREAKING RENTAL BUSINESS!!!???
I know I have more questions, But for now I would like to find out what any of you know about these 'newer' situations and changes to the way Wyndham is SCREWING us AGAIN!!!
Thanks for your input!

1) Cancel/Rebook was a loophole exploited to great extent. The intent of the VIP Point discount is to drive utilization on otherwise vacant inventory, not to give you a standing discount on all reservations.
The canceled reservations do come back, but not immediately. All canceled inventory is not taken for Extra Holidays, that is absurd.
2) This isn't happening. Please conduct your in-depth review and you will find this is not the case.
3) Wyndham has had rental programs for as long as you have been an owner. You can rent, but not in an exploitative manner that was tolerated in the past.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked and did a few searches, and am not seeing any threads on some of my questions.
1. How is it legal, or the Right Thing to do, that when we cancel and TRY to rebook in our 'Upgrade' window that now the units VERY SELDOM come back on the system!?
Search for "upgrade" in the Wyndham forum and limit the search to titles only.

This is one thread that may provide some answers to your question.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/cancel-rebook-no-longer-possible.257729/
This is the new normal. Gone are the reliable cancel and rebook scenarios. Find another strategy for booking or pay full points and request that booking be upgraded if avail. Cancel is a black hole right now .

Yes, they seem to have introduced some logic to ensure that cancellations within the 60 day window do not come back into inventory soon after they are cancelled. A rather simple solution if you think about it.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
As for #2, what Wyndham did was when they went to a normalized calendar they also fixed the day of the week a week starts on. You shouldn’t see peak season points increase (because that’s already the highest points), but in the transition from high to peak, for example, a high season Sunday to Sunday reservation may have the last night or two fall into peak season and the points will increase accordingly, with no split reservations as there used to be. On the flip side, your peak week might now include a night or two of high season, and points would be correspondingly lower.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Yes, they seem to have introduced some logic to ensure that cancellations within the 60 day window do not come back into inventory soon after they are cancelled.

And I think we’ve pretty much ascertained since this 2017 observation that this behavior extends to all cancellations, not just inside 60 days.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
1) Cancel/Rebook was a loophole exploited to great extent. The intent of the VIP Point discount is to drive utilization on otherwise vacant inventory, not to give you a standing discount on all reservations.
The canceled reservations do come back, but not immediately. All canceled inventory is not taken for Extra Holidays, that is absurd.
2) This isn't happening. Please conduct your in-depth review and you will find this is not the case.
3) Wyndham has had rental programs for as long as you have been an owner. You can rent, but not in an exploitative manner that was tolerated in the past.

Agreed. Specific to #1, they simply reversed the steps. It's rebook/cancel now, instead of cancel/rebook. Wyndham also changed the VIP upgrades around to allow for people who booked outside of the 60 day discount window to apply for a room upgrade. So now, when anyone cancels a booking within 60 days (or perhaps even outside of the 60 day window), there is code in place that takes that inventory and properly applies it to VIPs who have requested room upgrades.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Agreed. Specific to #1, they simply reversed the steps. It's rebook/cancel now, instead of cancel/rebook. Wyndham also changed the VIP upgrades around to allow for people who booked outside of the 60 day discount window to apply for a room upgrade. So now, when anyone cancels a booking within 60 days (or perhaps even outside of the 60 day window), there is code in place that takes that inventory and properly applies it to VIPs who have requested room upgrades.

Not sure I would use “properly” in that last sentence. Randomly might be more accurate.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Not sure I would use “properly” in that last sentence. Randomly might be more accurate.

As someone who works in IT as a former programmer (I manage programmers among other teams now), there's absolutely nothing random about the code and what it does. Code does exactly what it's told, 100% of the time, with exception, as a general rule. There's zero randomness when it comes to code. It may appear random to an observer, but that's just the appearance that is the result of human interpretations because we don't understand the underlying code logic in place for how the system works. That said, there may be errors in the code logic, that can produce unexpected results, since humans program the systems, on occasion we inherently program in our human conditions which equate to human logic errors. There can also be multiple subroutines running, that may overlap one another, competing codesets in other words.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Agree, you take out the word properly and the statement would remain totally accurate. I like the change where they apply the upgrades to those that have been in the system the longest. If someone cancels, that inventory should be freed up and given to the person who has been sitting in the system for months. The system is now based on a first come first served logic for upgrades. And, again, I like that, it's fair!!!

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
As for #2, what Wyndham did was when they went to a normalized calendar they also fixed the day of the week a week starts on.

Well I think that answers a question I had. I've wondered why the calendars in the Wyndham Directory show the dates of the numbered weeks as Fri to Fri, Sat to Sat, and Sun to Sun. Experimenting with sample reservations showed me that the seasons change on Friday regardless of when you check in or check out. I guess from your post that in the past, a reservation covering any of those three check in days would use the same amount of points.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
As someone who works in IT as a former programmer (I manage programmers among other teams now), there's absolutely nothing random about the code and what it does. Code does exactly what it's told, 100% of the time, with exception, as a general rule. There's zero randomness when it comes to code. It may appear random to an observer, but that's just the appearance that is the result of human interpretations because we don't understand the underlying code logic in place for how the system works. That said, there may be errors in the code logic, that can produce unexpected results, since humans program the systems, on occasion we inherently program in our human conditions which equate to human logic errors. There can also be multiple subroutines running, that may overlap one another, competing codesets in other words.

As former programmer, I think you are being a little pedantic. Code that fails to implement the designed effect is not working properly.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I think that answers a question I had. I've wondered why the calendars in the Wyndham Directory show the dates of the numbered weeks as Fri to Fri, Sat to Sat, and Sun to Sun. Experimenting with sample reservations showed me that the seasons change on Friday regardless of when you check in or check out. I guess from your post that in the past, a reservation covering any of those three check in days would use the same amount of points.
I ran into this same observation when booking a few RARP reservations for this June. What should have been a Saturday-Saturday stay in High season turned out to be 6 days of High and 1 day of Prime, which supports the observation that reservation cost is based on a Friday-Friday calendar. Seems to me there is a potential points imbalance by putting all of those Saturday High reservation nights into a Prime reservation night. Perhaps it would balance out on the other end over the course of the year, but I'm not so sure about that. Would love to hear others analysis of the situation.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Wyndham must hiremthe cheapest lowest functioning Coders available.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Agree, you take out the word properly and the statement would remain totally accurate. I like the change where they apply the upgrades to those that have been in the system the longest. If someone cancels, that inventory should be freed up and given to the person who has been sitting in the system for months. The system is now based on a first come first served logic for upgrades. And, again, I like that, it's fair!!!
If it worked. Sounds nice, but very poorly implemented.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Web site is doing exactly what Wyndham paid for.
Sorry if any owners are inconvenienced with the not so new 2 year old system glitches.
1. no availability when there should be
2. system updates causing more problems then before the update
3. canceled inventory not returning for a cancel & rebook VIP discount
Feel free to add to the list

Last edited: