• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Facebook can be bad for you

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been one of my personal goals to be the last living person who doesn't have a facebook.
I have a friend like that. She did join Facebook but never goes on or posts. So she misses all the community information that is posted on the community Facebook page. During hurricane Irma she kept emailing me to send her information. Just look!

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
It's been one of my personal goals to be the last living person who doesn't have a facebook.

You have competition:cool:

Cheers

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We, dear husband and I don't do social media. I have seen co workers fired for "venting" on social media, or for posting really stupid inappropriate pics taken during down times at work.

Was at DH xmas party this weekend and was asked to join "the wife's of" Facebook group. Can't tell you how uncomfortable I was long after saying I don't social media. Then hubby told me FB was how a wife found out her husband was dead. OMG! That is just sooo disturbing.

Just not for me in anyway.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
This conversation comes up regularly. Teenage daughter of a coworker says Facebook is for old people (meaning "adults.") She uses Snapchat mainly. There are many other social media options for them, so Facebook in its usual form isn't THE thing. Anybody remember MySpace? It was THE thing, until Facebook killed it. Something else will come along, and Facebook will probably fade away, too. I've been around computers long enough to remember chatting via dial-up BBS systems, when email wasn't much of a thing yet. (Didn't Tug start as a BBS system?) ICQ and mIRC were huge in their day, but newer things came along, and they faded into the background.

Part of the problem with any social media is the risk of "siloing." If you have a specific set of interests, beliefs, or whatever, you will naturally tend to "friend" and "follow" others who have similar interests, beliefs, and whatever. Over time, you are surrounded by like-minded people, and everyone is rallying around whatever that interest or belief might be. You end up in a silo of information that doesn't often consider a different point of view. It becomes a case of "Us vs. Them" and can be very limiting. As people in that silo send posts around, sharing links to like-minded topics, eventually it becomes a narrow, self-serving place to spend your time. When you put deliberate trolls into that silo, whose purpose is to foster that certain interest or belief, or create dissent, it compounds the issue, because everyone will rally around that troll's posts, adding fuel to the fire.

A lot of the misinformation being passed around (political or otherwise) happens when someone posts a like, or a picture, or a video, and "everyone" in that silo passes it around to everyone else. Eventually, it "must" be true, because "everyone" says it is. Narrow thinking about anything can be a dangerous thing to blindly accept. (Tug haters might accuse us of the same narrow thinking. Hence the posts of "Is it ever smart to buy from a Developer?"

Just as travel is the death of ignorance, (as Mark Twain once wisely said), I think researching anything as widely as possible will give diverse perspectives, and prevent fostering of a narrow point of view. The Facebook users who have the best perspectives are those who do their own research on the topic at hand.

Having said that, I've used Facebook daily for probably ten years or more. (When did it start? I was an early adopter.) I have a very narrow list of Friends, comprised of certain family members, nearby social friends I see regularly, a few long-time friends who live far away, and a few coworkers. I am not Friends with anyone I do not know personally. After all these years, my Friends list is still less than 100 people. The point is to stay in touch, not to prove any specific agenda. For me, Facebook is strictly for fun - like a party. I post amusing pictures and videos I think others will also find amusing, pictures of my travels and pets, and the occasional recipe for some food item that sounds especially good. I absolutely DO NOT post negative things on my Facebook page, because I am not interested in dragging down my mood, or the mood of anyone who happens to read it. I deal with enough negative stuff in my regular daily life, I don't need to do it in my recreational time, too. (That's why I like Tug so much - you people are crazy, but I like crazy. LOL!)

Dave

Great post! Reminded me of first learning to use a computer via dial up and AOL...getting kicked off and waiting through countless busy tones to finally get back on while a panicked feeling overtook me! My "Facebook" of those days were the AOL message boards. Our 16 year old granddaughter has never used Facebook. She's on Instagram and some other places I am not invited to. I think I'm just as happy not to see those.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great post! Reminded me of first learning to use a computer via dial up and AOL...getting kicked off and waiting through countless busy tones to finally get back on while a panicked feeling overtook me! My "Facebook" of those days were the AOL message boards. Our 16 year old granddaughter has never used Facebook. She's on Instagram and some other places I am not invited to. I think I'm just as happy not to see those.

As I mentioned, there are a lot of social media places people can go these days, depending on what they want to do. Facebook is pretty calm, compared with some of what's out there. Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest - pick your poison - there are plenty of options. I don't have time or desire to "swipe right" or whatever to express my interest (or lack of it) in something. I have a Facebook friend who is a HUGE "social butterfly" kind of person. He is the ultimate in connecting with others about whatever (or whoever) they're talking about. He's involved in EVERYTHING locally, from the Chamber of Commerce to Rotary Club to his Church and school and whatever else. I just looked at his Facebook page: He has TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED FIFTY FOUR people on his Friends list. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That must be exhausting. I just don't have the time for that.

I work in IT, and spend all day in front of a computer. I don't have the interest (or the ego, frankly), to spend my off-work time posting picture after picture of me, Me, it's-all-about-MEEEEEEE items. Facebook is checked to see what's new, if anybody posted something to which I *must* reply, and a few other websites (like Tug) to catch up on the "news." After that, it's surfing around to areas of interest, looking to see what timeshare exchanges are available, checking my car rental reservation at Costco.com to see if I can save a few bucks, pay a bill or two, and then I'm on to Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy and playing with my dogs.

Aah, yes. I live a very high life, doncha know... ;)

Dave

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We get frustrated when people want to carry on a long conversation on Text. It would be easier to call.

Maybe easier, but certainly far more intrusive. I hate getting phone calls, because there's the inference by whomever is calling that I have time, right then, to chat. If someone texts, however, I can read and reply at my leisure. I text an order of magnitude (or two) more than I call because I don't want to rudely interrupt someone.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’ve been on Facebook for years.Started when my friend posted photos of her grandkids. She used to show me snapshots, but started just posting on Facebook, so I joined for that reason. Then I found a long lost friend in Facebook and we have reconnected after years of not seeing each other. Also most of my family and friends up north( and DH family too) are on Facebook and we keep in touch this way. DH refuses to go on Facebook. He doesn’t like it. But seems interested in things sent from his family. I steer clear of political posts and do my best not to offend. In my case I’m retired so not worried about employers seeing my posts, they are mostly dogs, food or travel. Not anything to raise an eyebrow over.
Silentg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’ve been on Facebook for years.Started when my friend posted photos of her grandkids. She used to show me snapshots, but started just posting on Facebook, so I joined for that reason. Then I found a long lost friend in Facebook and we have reconnected after years of not seeing each other. Also most of my family and friends up north( and DH family too) are on Facebook and we keep in touch this way. DH refuses to go on Facebook. He doesn’t like it. But seems interested in things sent from his family. I steer clear of political posts and do my best not to offend. In my case I’m retired so not worried about employers seeing my posts, they are mostly dogs, food or travel. Not anything to raise an eyebrow over.
Silentg

Kindred spirits. :)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I love Facebook! Being in an isolated area, it is a life saver for me. I keep in contact with long distance friends and family and keep abreast of what is going on in my neighborhood and elsewhere. We have some local issues here where it helps rally people together to get involved with making changes. The group pages are great. I love the PM feature as well.

Also, I get recommendations from others for contractors and such. Help with other issues such as what we do here in the TUG LOUNGE.

I am a communicator by nature and I love posting whatever suits my fancy on my page, whether it be fun stuff, political, personal, whatever. I have "friends" of all kinds of persuasions- political and otherwise- so I do see their posts as well. If I don't agree with something I let it ride. I don't get into debates and un friend people because they have different opinions. Unfortunately, there have been some that do not reciprocate and are easily offended and have un friended me. Oh, well.....I post what I want on my own page period.

My husband resisted Facebook for a few years, but gradually it sucked him in and he is now hooked. But he rarely posts anything- he is just what I call a stalker. A lot of them out there. They read, but don't write.

I have a Twitter account but I don't like it.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I love Facebook! Being in an isolated area, it is a life saver for me. I keep in contact with long distance friends and family and keep abreast of what is going on in my neighborhood and elsewhere. We have some local issues here where it helps rally people together to get involved with making changes. The group pages are great. I love the PM feature as well.

Also, I get recommendations from others for contractors and such. Help with other issues such as what we do here in the TUG LOUNGE.

I am a communicator by nature and I love posting whatever suits my fancy on my page, whether it be fun stuff, political, personal, whatever. I have "friends" of all kinds of persuasions- political and otherwise- so I do see their posts as well. If I don't agree with something I let it ride. I don't get into debates and un friend people because they have different opinions. Unfortunately, there have been some that do not reciprocate and are easily offended and have un friended me. Oh, well.....I post what I want on my own page period.

My husband resisted Facebook for a few years, but gradually it sucked him in and he is now hooked. But he rarely posts anything- he is just what I call a stalker. A lot of them out there. They read, but don't write.

I have a Twitter account but I don't like it.
I don’t do twitter either

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Twitter. I seldom Tweet, but for getting up-to-date news and sports, it's hard to beat. And, for the most part, you get to control the environment. If someone starts tweeting nonsense, just un-follow them. It's a lot more anonymous and impersonal than Facebook, which is great! :thumbup:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
You have competition:cool:

Cheers

I truly hope this works out for both of you. Like I said before, I very rarely use my personal page for anything but I do use it daily for several medically related pages that have provided me with invaluable information. Those pages currently relate to my left ventricular assist device that was implanted 15 months ago and a ventricular tachycardia page after having a vtach storm event about six months ago. Both events caused me 10 days each in the hospital and left me wanting all the information I could lay my hands on. These pages provided it.

I don’t do any other social media. Shoot, until recently I thought Twitter was a person trying to Impersonate a bird!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I truly hope this works out for both of you.

So far, so good. If it works for you, great but I’ve managed to survive for several decades without social media and expect to continue for the foreseeable future:cool:

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And all this time, I thought the TUG BBS was a form of social media. :rolleyes:

I suppose that maybe true and if so, I’m wrong:D

But I think of social media as mentioned by Wikipedia:

“The term social media is usually used to describe social networking sites such as:

1. Facebook – an online social networking site that allows users to create their personal profiles, share photos and videos, and communicate with other users
  2. Twitter – an internet service that allows users to post "tweets" for their followers to see updates in real-time
  3. LinkedIn – a networking website for the business community that allows users to create professional profiles, post resumes, and communicate with other professionals and job-seekers.
  4. Pinterest – an online community that allows users to display photos of items found on the web by "pinning" them and sharing ideas with others.[17]
  5. Snapchat – an app for mobile devices that allows users to send and share photos of themselves doing their daily activities.[18]
Wikipedia does mention forums in the description so I’m guilty of participating in that form of social media as well as having a profile on LinkedIn that is required by a company I occasionally consult for but don’t use myself.

Cheers

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, those are the 'biggies' in social media. And I agree, I don't get too involved in them either, though I did use LinkedIn for a while.
TUG, OTOH, as well as a few other message boards, are a lot of fun and more targeted to my interests.

Brett

Reaction score
Part of the problem with any social media is the risk of "siloing." If you have a specific set of interests, beliefs, or whatever, you will naturally tend to "friend" and "follow" others who have similar interests, beliefs, and whatever. Over time, you are surrounded by like-minded people, and everyone is rallying around whatever that interest or belief might be. You end up in a silo of information that doesn't often consider a different point of view. It becomes a case of "Us vs. Them" and can be very limiting. As people in that silo send posts around, sharing links to like-minded topics, eventually it becomes a narrow, self-serving place to spend your time. When you put deliberate trolls into that silo, whose purpose is to foster that certain interest or belief, or create dissent, it compounds the issue, because everyone will rally around that troll's posts, adding fuel to the fire.

A lot of the misinformation being passed around (political or otherwise) happens when someone posts a like, or a picture, or a video, and "everyone" in that silo passes it around to everyone else. Eventually, it "must" be true, because "everyone" says it is. Narrow thinking about anything can be a dangerous thing to blindly accept. (Tug haters might accuse us of the same narrow thinking. Hence the posts of "Is it ever smart to buy from a Developer?"

Just as travel is the death of ignorance, (as Mark Twain once wisely said), I think researching anything as widely as possible will give diverse perspectives, and prevent fostering of a narrow point of view. The Facebook users who have the best perspectives are those who do their own research on the topic at hand.

Dave

yes, the last few elections did it for me. but I still use FB for keeping in touch with some people

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yep, you're right; TUG BBS IS Social Media. I guess, one can pretend that they don't participate in Social Media, but your number of posts are listed for all to see. :D Evidence of participation. :cool:
TUG is Safe Haven social media, my preferred method.

geekette

Reaction score
I have a friend like that. She did join Facebook but never goes on or posts. So she misses all the community information that is posted on the community Facebook page. During hurricane Irma she kept emailing me to send her information. Just look!
This is one of my pet peeves - content that appears ONLY on FB. Why isn't community info on a community website vs forced thru an outside source requiring registration? I would be petrified if my mother lived in such a community that didn't consider that Not Everyone is on FB and withheld critical info from being disseminated in another manner.

I have never used FB and never will. Anyone seeking to have me see their content should just show it to me, on their website or other non-compulsory membership method. I will not be coerced into joining FB and otherwise "register" on very few websites.

geekette

Reaction score
I work in IT, and spend all day in front of a computer. I don't have the interest (or the ego, frankly), to spend my off-work time posting picture after picture of me, Me, it's-all-about-MEEEEEEE items.

+1

Pictures of myself? uhh, I'd have to ask who the photographer is as I am not a picture taker. never have been, it's not my thing.

And I don't think I would be the kind to handle the Me Me Me of others. Especially the "you didn't comment" implying that I have an obligation. No, I don't, just like I don't have to text, and don't. I have in my life what I want and people that want to keep in contact with me know how to do it, and vice versa. I can find the people I want to communicate with (phones existed long before internet) and don't need FB between us.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
+1

Pictures of myself? uhh, I'd have to ask who the photographer is as I am not a picture taker. never have been, it's not my thing.

And I don't think I would be the kind to handle the Me Me Me of others. Especially the "you didn't comment" implying that I have an obligation. No, I don't, just like I don't have to text, and don't. I have in my life what I want and people that want to keep in contact with me know how to do it, and vice versa. I can find the people I want to communicate with (phones existed long before internet) and don't need FB between us.

One of my biggest beefs with Facebook are the guilt-posts from people who will put up some sort of "If you're my friend, you'll do..." something-or-other. It usually involved copying and pasting something, or answering lame questions, or doing something for them I just don't want to to do, in order to PROVE to them I'm their friend or whatever.

Uh, no. I don't. And I won't. I tell people that if they're on my Friends list, I consider them a friend. If that isn't good enough, and they need that kind of attention, that maybe they should consider getting a puppy. ;)

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is one of my pet peeves - content that appears ONLY on FB. Why isn't community info on a community website vs forced thru an outside source requiring registration? I would be petrified if my mother lived in such a community that didn't consider that Not Everyone is on FB and withheld critical info from being disseminated in another manner.

I have never used FB and never will. Anyone seeking to have me see their content should just show it to me, on their website or other non-compulsory membership method. I will not be coerced into joining FB and otherwise "register" on very few websites.

The manager sent general information and even drone photographs. Neighbors posted pictures from their homes on Facebook, they did not have access to one thousand emails of residents. No one could get to many parts of the subdivision. As we found out who was there, we asked them to check our houses. The manager was checking houses and contacting those with damage, but it took him about a week. He never contacted those whose houses were okay. Most of us wanted to know that our house was okay. It was an awful time. Many children of people who lived in the community were asking for their parents. This was the biggest source for most of us, not something negative as you are making it sound. I found out through Facebook that a neighbor on my cul de sac had driven down in a big truck and a chain saw. He let me know my house was okay, then went around sawing treats that were across roads. The clean up alone was half a million dollars just in our community. Internet, phone, cell service was spotty. Two things everyone agreed on, our manager did aterrific job communicating and the community webpage on Facebook was invaluable
IMG_0770.JPG

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Call me a dinosaur, but I don't have a Facebook account and won't ever have one. I've seen how divisive it can be and therefore have zero interest. But this article/column pretty much confirms the points made by the OP.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
That article is BS. They drew an unfounded conclusion from the data. Correlation does not equal causation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk