• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

USVI proposing $30/day tax on timeshares

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I posted this in the VSE forum for St John, but then realized it will affect all the USVI timeshares.

From the News of St John:

"Another huge item in this Act pertains to timeshares, which we know many of you own here on St. John. The Governor is proposing a $30 per day tax on every timeshare unit for each day of occupancy in the Territory."

Link to the article:

http://newsofstjohn.com/2017/01/27/is-the-future-of-happy-hour-in-jeopardy/

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
guess I would NOT be staying on the USVI for an extra $210 a week in Taxes. That is highway robbery. The TOT tax in Hawaii in perhaps $30 to 40 for the week, and people gripe about that.

I guess I start a list of places to avoid with high daily fees. The Manhattan Club is on my list. I guess I will have to write off USVI timeshares too if this passes.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a way to raise money for a government. Are they going to charge the visiting cruise ship in port that day a tax?:doh:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anyone have USVI Governor Mapp's email address?

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how that would even be constitutional - TS owners are in fact property owners and a stay at a timeshare is occupying their unit that they own (regardless of whether it is by the owner, renter, whatever). It is not a hotel unit. It should be considered the same as anyone's home or 2nd home, and if they only tax TS owners, then that would be an unfair application of the tax. Back around 2005 USVI got into trouble because they had a higher property tax for TS owners that was declared unconstitutional, and it took them several years in court to get it revised and a new rate accepted (during which they had no revenue from TS property taxes). USVI is bordering on running out of money soon, just like Puerto Rico, primarily due to total mismanagement by elected officials who appear to only want to take care of themselves. I understand Gov. Mapp's Governor's Residence is a suite at the Ritz-Carlton - guess how much that costs the government. The VI Legislature has been sitting on this proposal for a while without making a decision. If they pass it as is I would expect a flurry of lawsuits.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are a property owner, but as with other states, you are basically in the situation of Taxation with representation. Property owner does NOT equal voter.

Hawaii passed the TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax) tax which is in addition to the property tax. I own property in Hawaii, but didn't get to vote. NO timeshare owners, only residents get that privilege. So a group of people who are NOT impacted by the vote, get to vote on it. I am sure there are a few Hawaii Owners that might own a Hawaii timeshare, but that would be a small small minority.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing this information. We don't own at WSJ, but we would definitely like to visit there again. However, we will absolutely have to reconsider our plans if that high of a tax is instituted. We thought the TOT in Hawaii was bad, but this takes it to another level. We can happily spend our money somewhere else if we have too.

I look forward to future updates with hopes that the governor reconsiders. Thanks again.

Best regards.

Mike

OKPACIFIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not in favor at all with the fee. In fact it may contribute to a death spiral. I am just posting this article to give everyone a sense of the mess the USVI is in.

Welcome to the Virgin Islands, One of the Most Indebted Places in the U.S.
A U.S. territory famed for its white-sand beaches and azure waters is in a precarious financial position. This time, it isn't just Puerto Rico.

The U.S. Virgin Islands shares many of the same fiscal problems as its Caribbean neighbor 80 miles to the west: high levels of debt, mounting pension obligations and a declining population.

Local legislators on Tuesday are expected to consider a new round of taxes as a way to shore up the Virgin Islands' $110 million budget deficit. That follows an unsuccessful attempt earlier this month to sell about $220 million in bonds, the second time in two months the territory has called off a planned bond sale.

Virgin Islands Governor Kenneth Mapp said the territory, with a population of some 105,000 people, has "no problems" making payments on its $2.2 billion in debt obligations. But he predicted widespread service cuts and layoffs if new bonds can't be sold. Moody's Investors Service on Tuesday downgraded certain Virgin Islands bonds by three notches and cited "an increased possibility that the government may be forced to restructure its debt to address its financial problems."

"I think this is a critical juncture," said Nikolao Pula, director of the Office of Insular Affairs, which coordinates federal policy for several U.S. territories as part of the Department of the Interior. "We just hope whatever decision they make will be good moving forward."

Any failure by the Virgin Islands to pay back money owed to investors could intensify tough competition for limited government dollars inside the territory.

Virgin Islands bonds have traditionally appealed to mainland bondholders and U.S. mutual funds because they are exempt from state taxes. U.S. mutual funds currently hold nearly $1 billion in Virgin Islands bonds, according to Morningstar.

The mutual fund with the highest percentage of its portfolio invested in Virgin Islands debt is made up largely of Wisconsin investors. Wells Fargo Asset Management, which oversees the Wells Fargo Wisconsin Tax Free C fund, said it is protecting itself from the Virgin Islands' financial situation by holding debt that is either insured or coming due within the next 18 months. More than 8% of its holdings are debt issued by the U.S. territory.

At Western Asset Management, based in Pasadena, Calif., which also holds Virgin Islands bonds, senior analyst Fred Poon said he expects the Virgin Islands legislature will eventually enact a "sin tax" on cigarettes, alcohol and other revenue-raising measures.

"Who wants to argue against taxes on sin?" Mr. Poon said.

Comprising the main islands of St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix, the Virgin Islands territory has long struggled with budget deficits, but its problems accelerated after the 2008 economic downturn.

First the local economy, long dependent on tourism, took a hit. Annual expenditures by visitors fell by 18.5% in the period from 2007 to 2013, a drop of $280 million. The territory's population shrank by almost 9% over that same period.

Another blow came in 2012 when one of the territory's biggest employers shut down. The Hovensa oil refinery on the island of St Croix employed 1,200 workers and 960 contractors, according to a report by Fitch Ratings at the time. The closing was expected to deprive the government of an estimated $100 million in annual revenue, according to a 2012 report from the then-governor.

With less revenue, the territory has relied increasingly on bond proceeds to pay operating costs while contributing less to local pensions. That borrowing has increased its debt to a level similar to that of Puerto Rico, on a per capita basis.

The lower pension contributions widened the funding gap for a retirement system that covers 9,303 current workers and 8,465 retirees and past workers, according to the fund's 2015 financial reports.

That pension plan now has only 27% of what it needs to pay future benefits, according to 2015 financial statements; a 2015 analysis by Segal Consulting predicted the fund would run out of money by 2024.

The governor said he plans to unveil proposed pension fixes this year and hold hearings on the topic. "We need to come up with a strategy," Mr. Mapp said.

Another strain is that U.S. territories, including the Virgin Islands, typically receive less federal money than U.S. states, according to Rep. Stacey Plaskett, the nonvoting U.S. congresswoman representing the Virgin Islands. For example, the federal government caps the amount of Medicaid payments the territories receive. "Our disparity of treatment is I believe what has caused these financial issues to occur," Rep. Plaskett said.

Some analysts expect the territory to eventually turn to Washington, D.C., for help, as Puerto Rico did in 2016. Congress last year passed legislation that provides Puerto Rico with a stay against creditor litigation in exchange for oversight from a seven-member board that controls the territory's finances and approves any court-supervised debt restructuring.

A similar solution for the Virgin Islands "is totally possible within the next five years," said Matt Fabian, a partner with Municipal Market Analytics.

But a cash crunch could come much sooner. Ken Kurtz of Moody's predicts the territory will need to sell bonds within "the next few months" to keep from running out of operating cash.

Interest in Virgin Islands bonds has been scarce ever since Congress authorized debt-relief legislation for Puerto Rico in June. Bondholders showed lukewarm interest in a Jan. 11 offering.

The Virgin Islands Public Finance Authority received orders for slightly more than 60% of the bonds after offering an interest rate "in the 6% range," according to Mr. Mapp. The authority opted to cancel the deal rather than reduce its size, he said.

About $55 million of the $219 million offering would have been used to close a gap in this year's $1.35 billion budget, the governor added. If the Virgin Islands can't close that gap, "this is not sustainable," Mr. Mapp said. "We can't continue doing this."

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have been following the debt issues with the USVI and Puerto Rico for some time now - certainly this is why they are looking for sources of revenue. Certainly these issues are not in the main stream media - especially how the debt was generated by the bonds in the 1st place.

As sometimes humor/sarcasm is a good way to understand these types of issues (debt crisis in PR) - watch the John Oliver's segment on this topic - very enlightening (and tongue-cheek). If one does not appreciate John Oliver's approach or humor - don't watch... this covers many aspects of the PR debt crisis that for normal people (like me) would be otherwise hard to follow. {~21 minutes - this is not a sound bite}

Not added in Mapp's discussion is just how wasteful their (Gov't) spending over years and years - plus poor decision making and corruption internally - has gotten them to this point. Like Maui - TS Owners are easy targets. Luckily I am in a place where I can walk away if need be, although (as obvious) I love Love City and that would be a shame.

I hope Vistana-WSJ gets involved...

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I am not in favor at all with the fee. In fact it may contribute to a death spiral. I am just posting this article to give everyone a sense of the mess the USVI is in.

Welcome to the Virgin Islands, One of the Most Indebted Places in the U.S.
A U.S. territory famed for its white-sand beaches and azure waters is in a precarious financial position. This time, it isn't just Puerto Rico.

The U.S. Virgin Islands shares many of the same fiscal problems as its Caribbean neighbor 80 miles to the west: high levels of debt, mounting pension obligations and a declining population.

Local legislators on Tuesday are expected to consider a new round of taxes as a way to shore up the Virgin Islands' $110 million budget deficit. That follows an unsuccessful attempt earlier this month to sell about $220 million in bonds, the second time in two months the territory has called off a planned bond sale.

Virgin Islands Governor Kenneth Mapp said the territory, with a population of some 105,000 people, has "no problems" making payments on its $2.2 billion in debt obligations. But he predicted widespread service cuts and layoffs if new bonds can't be sold. Moody's Investors Service on Tuesday downgraded certain Virgin Islands bonds by three notches and cited "an increased possibility that the government may be forced to restructure its debt to address its financial problems."

"I think this is a critical juncture," said Nikolao Pula, director of the Office of Insular Affairs, which coordinates federal policy for several U.S. territories as part of the Department of the Interior. "We just hope whatever decision they make will be good moving forward."

Any failure by the Virgin Islands to pay back money owed to investors could intensify tough competition for limited government dollars inside the territory.

Virgin Islands bonds have traditionally appealed to mainland bondholders and U.S. mutual funds because they are exempt from state taxes. U.S. mutual funds currently hold nearly $1 billion in Virgin Islands bonds, according to Morningstar.

The mutual fund with the highest percentage of its portfolio invested in Virgin Islands debt is made up largely of Wisconsin investors. Wells Fargo Asset Management, which oversees the Wells Fargo Wisconsin Tax Free C fund, said it is protecting itself from the Virgin Islands' financial situation by holding debt that is either insured or coming due within the next 18 months. More than 8% of its holdings are debt issued by the U.S. territory.

At Western Asset Management, based in Pasadena, Calif., which also holds Virgin Islands bonds, senior analyst Fred Poon said he expects the Virgin Islands legislature will eventually enact a "sin tax" on cigarettes, alcohol and other revenue-raising measures.

"Who wants to argue against taxes on sin?" Mr. Poon said.

Comprising the main islands of St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix, the Virgin Islands territory has long struggled with budget deficits, but its problems accelerated after the 2008 economic downturn.

First the local economy, long dependent on tourism, took a hit. Annual expenditures by visitors fell by 18.5% in the period from 2007 to 2013, a drop of $280 million. The territory's population shrank by almost 9% over that same period.

Another blow came in 2012 when one of the territory's biggest employers shut down. The Hovensa oil refinery on the island of St Croix employed 1,200 workers and 960 contractors, according to a report by Fitch Ratings at the time. The closing was expected to deprive the government of an estimated $100 million in annual revenue, according to a 2012 report from the then-governor.

With less revenue, the territory has relied increasingly on bond proceeds to pay operating costs while contributing less to local pensions. That borrowing has increased its debt to a level similar to that of Puerto Rico, on a per capita basis.

The lower pension contributions widened the funding gap for a retirement system that covers 9,303 current workers and 8,465 retirees and past workers, according to the fund's 2015 financial reports.

That pension plan now has only 27% of what it needs to pay future benefits, according to 2015 financial statements; a 2015 analysis by Segal Consulting predicted the fund would run out of money by 2024.

The governor said he plans to unveil proposed pension fixes this year and hold hearings on the topic. "We need to come up with a strategy," Mr. Mapp said.

Another strain is that U.S. territories, including the Virgin Islands, typically receive less federal money than U.S. states, according to Rep. Stacey Plaskett, the nonvoting U.S. congresswoman representing the Virgin Islands. For example, the federal government caps the amount of Medicaid payments the territories receive. "Our disparity of treatment is I believe what has caused these financial issues to occur," Rep. Plaskett said.

Some analysts expect the territory to eventually turn to Washington, D.C., for help, as Puerto Rico did in 2016. Congress last year passed legislation that provides Puerto Rico with a stay against creditor litigation in exchange for oversight from a seven-member board that controls the territory's finances and approves any court-supervised debt restructuring.

A similar solution for the Virgin Islands "is totally possible within the next five years," said Matt Fabian, a partner with Municipal Market Analytics.

But a cash crunch could come much sooner. Ken Kurtz of Moody's predicts the territory will need to sell bonds within "the next few months" to keep from running out of operating cash.

Interest in Virgin Islands bonds has been scarce ever since Congress authorized debt-relief legislation for Puerto Rico in June. Bondholders showed lukewarm interest in a Jan. 11 offering.

The Virgin Islands Public Finance Authority received orders for slightly more than 60% of the bonds after offering an interest rate "in the 6% range," according to Mr. Mapp. The authority opted to cancel the deal rather than reduce its size, he said.

About $55 million of the $219 million offering would have been used to close a gap in this year's $1.35 billion budget, the governor added. If the Virgin Islands can't close that gap, "this is not sustainable," Mr. Mapp said. "We can't continue doing this."

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

John, thanks for sharing this article. Nice to have some perspective on the situation. All our best to you and Nancy.

Mike

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have been following the debt issues with the USVI and Puerto Rico for some time now - certainly this is why they are looking for sources of revenue. Certainly these issues are not in the main stream media - especially how the debt was generated by the bonds in the 1st place.

As sometimes humor/sarcasm is a good way to understand these types of issues (debt crisis in PR) - watch the John Oliver's segment on this topic - very enlightening (and tongue-cheek). If one does not appreciate John Oliver's approach or humor - don't watch... this covers many aspects of the PR debt crisis that for normal people (like me) would be otherwise hard to follow. {~21 minutes - this is not a sound bite}

Not added in Mapp's discussion is just how wasteful their (Gov't) spending over years and years - plus poor decision making and corruption internally - has gotten them to this point. Like Maui - TS Owners are easy targets. Luckily I am in a place where I can walk away if need be, although (as obvious) I love Love City and that would be a shame.

I hope Vistana-WSJ gets involved...

David, thanks for sharing this. Our first exposure to John Oliver was during our trip to Spain last November. We didn't catch his name, but were very entertained by his humor, not withstanding his some times crude language. Now we know his name.

Mike

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how that would even be constitutional - TS owners are in fact property owners and a stay at a timeshare is occupying their unit that they own (regardless of whether it is by the owner, renter, whatever). It is not a hotel unit. It should be considered the same as anyone's home or 2nd home...

This issue came up in Hawaii sometime ago and people (especially and understandably TS owners) argued that same point. The counter-argument IIRC, was that a TS is like a hotel because the furniture and cutlery, etc. stay when new owners move in (or something along those lines).

I'm not saying I agree with either side. I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Looks like everybody's $5 ARDA contributions finally paid off -- the proposed timeshare tax is down to $25/night and is on its way to the rules committee. :confused:

http://viconsortium.com/business/si...es-first-senate-hurdle-heads-rules-committee/

Thanks for sharing this update. Good to see the small reduction, but the tax is still high.

One thing I hadn't focused on earlier is that St Thomas is also part of the USVI, so this tax impacts the Marriott and other timeshares there as well.

I assume the tax will be paid by whoever occupies the unit like they do in Hawaii. It will be interesting to see if this impacts the flow of people wanting to stay in timeshares on the islands.

I also thought it is interesting that they consider this a "sin tax", which includes a tax on timeshares and internet sales.

Mike

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Thanks for sharing this update. Good to see the small reduction, but the tax is still high.

One thing I hadn't focused on earlier is that St Thomas is also part of the USVI, so this tax impacts the Marriott and other timeshares there as well.

I assume the tax will be paid by whoever occupies the unit like they do in Hawaii. It will be interesting to see if this impacts the flow of people wanting to stay in timeshares on the islands.

Yes, the tax is paid by whoever occupies the unit. Also, it goes into effect on March 1 (if it passes), so if anyone has rented their unit out, they may want to give the renter a heads up.

As an aside, although I am annoyed by and do not support the tax, I am trying to keep it in perspective. There has always been a 12.5% (previously 10.5%) occupancy tax applied to hotels and timeshares in the USVI, but because there was no cost to a timeshare stay, it was unclear on what amount the tax should be based. This new law repeals the 12.5% tax on timeshares (which represented zero revenue to the USVI government) and replaces it with this $25/night tax.

To me, the tax is problematic in the same way Hawaii's TAT is problematic. Specifically, timeshares are targeted from two directions: (1) through property taxes, by designating a timeshare class of property with higher rates than any other class, and (2) through occupancy taxes, which treat timeshare owners the same as hotel guests.

Although I sympathize that timeshare usage results in greater wear and tear on infrastructure than a standard owner-occupied residence, I think elected officials should not be able to double-dip in this manner. Either timeshare owners should be assessed as property owners (through a timeshare class of property taxes), or they should be assessed as transient guests (through occupancy taxes) -- but not both.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many timeshare are on the islands and what are the occupancy rate?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
How many timeshare are on the islands and what are the occupancy rate?

The proposed bill mentions a 70% reported occupancy rate. There are some inconsistencies in the text, though, because it goes on to assume 300 occupancy days per year (80% occupancy). Something doesn't add up.

The only way I can get to the projected $19 million in revenue is by assuming there are ~3,108 timeshare units, which at 70% occupancy results in the "2176 occupied units" cited in the bill. Multiply by 350 nights and $25/night and you get $19.04 million.

Take a look at pages 6-7 of the bill summary and let me know if you can make any sense of it: http://legvi.org/vilegsearch/ShowPDF.aspx?num=32-0005&type=Bill

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am really unhappy with this.

In Aruba, there is a general tax of $25 per week and $10-15ish per day timeshare tax.
In the Cayman Islands, there is a $10 per day timeshare and hotel tax. And at Morritts I have weekly energy fee of $80-140 per week based on usage. At the Reef Resort they charge the $10 per day plus almost $300 per week energy fee.
When I stay at Bluebeard's Beach Club STT, thru Wyndham points, there is a $22 per day energy fee (does not include Internet) and now $25-30 per day timeshare tax.

It really is discouraging.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Collecting 19 million is a drop in the bucket toward their deficit in my opinion. The Prime Minister and his cabinets members needs to reduce their yearly expenditures by 10% to achieve a true debt reduction.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the drop in TS usage due to this will result in a loss of revenue far exceeding the $30/day as there will be fewer people spending money on the island. Note that the USVI Senate has not taken any action on the proposal yet - it seems like they are lukewarm at best to the entire "sin" tax proposal which includes the TS tax, and not sure how to proceed. There are a lot of accusations being thrown around (most of them correct) about the Governor's lavish lifestyle that the government pays for, the overpaid senators (they are the highest paid representatives of any US state or territory), and the bloated government payroll (many relatives of pols there). The USVI government has always had major corruption and graft issues, and an inability to manage their finances. Sounds like the day of retribution is fast approaching.....

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Maybe a better start at balancing the budget is to reduce the number of days off their #1 employer (US Park Service) gives their employees. They are entitled to 21 holidays. By comparison, US federal workers get 10.

By my calculation, a newly hired USVI park employee will get 21 days of holidays + (possibly) 2 days for Carnival + 13 days of vacation... or 34-36 days off (~7 weeks) per year. An employee with 3+ years of experience is entitled to 2 months off (40-42 days). And if you reach 15 years of service, you get 2.5 months off per year (49-51 days off).

Add in a sweet retirement plan, and I can see why they can't balance their budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_United_States_Virgin_Islands
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/annual-leave/

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An extra $175 in taxes for a week stay is more than I want to pay. I think I will let my STT Margaritaville ressie go.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Maybe a better start at balancing the budget is to reduce the number of days off their #1 employer (US Park Service) gives their employees. They are entitled to 21 holidays. By comparison, US federal workers get 10.

By my calculation, a newly hired USVI park employee will get 21 days of holidays + (possibly) 2 days for Carnival + 13 days of vacation... or 34-36 days off (~7 weeks) per year. An employee with 3+ years of experience is entitled to 2 months off (40-42 days). And if you reach 15 years of service, you get 2.5 months off per year (49-51 days off).

Add in a sweet retirement plan, and I can see why they can't balance their budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_United_States_Virgin_Islands
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/annual-leave/
Lisa, maybe we should look into this job

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The NPS employee cost is minimal - and not part of USVI budget - but let's not get facts in the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/Documents/legismgt/2016_Leg_Comp_Session_Per Diem_Mileage.pdf
The NPS employee cost is minimal - and not part of USVI budget - but let's not get facts in the way...

First of all, it's not just the NPS workers who are given 21* holidays, but ALL the local, state and federal workers. However, as the #1 employer, the USVI NP's influence is even greater. Even discounting the enormous cost of paying for these benefits, when the #1 employer shuts down for the day, everyone feels the pinch. It's akin to the impact Seattle feels when Microsoft closes for the day. Local restaurants suffer, taxi drivers suffer, etc., ...and, of course, when they suffer, taxes collected for those services suffer as well. For the governor to mandate 21* public holidays, twice what is normal, for an island that is up to its eyeballs in debt, is fiscally irresponsible.

Then consider the implications that 2 months+ off per year has on productivity. How many YEARS did the USVI government take to bill for overdue property taxes? That's not just lost money they could use to operate the government today, they're also paying needless additional interest on debt...Yet there they sat, not billing for past due property taxes, for years! That's a level of complacency and incompetence that could only exist in a place like USVI. Can you imagine the uproar if a US state was in debt up to its eyeballs...and then failed to bill for property taxes on time?

Then we have exorbitant salaries of public officials. The USVI governor makes $150,000 to govern ~106,000 citizens. By contrast, Ohio's governor makes $148,000 to govern 11,000,000 people. California's governor gets $174,000 to govern 35,000,000 people. Their 15 legislators receive $80,000 per year plus travel expenses, the same as New York legislators. (By contrast, Arizona's legislators receive $24,000; Ohio's legislators receive $60,000).

Looking at the 2016 budget, salaries/wages/payroll taxes cost $335.8MM out of a 708.5MM budget. Add $37.4MM in the "Other" category for contribution to Retirees Health Insurance +2.3MM million for outstanding employer contribution to GERS for Government retirees, and it comes to $375.5MM (or more than $3300 per resident) out of a $708.5MM budget, or 53% of the annual budget.

So, yes, I think that the USVI should look at tempering its own fiscal irresponsibility, including payroll benefits that are astronomical for the size of its population, before looking at tourist taxes.

http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/Documents/legismgt/2016_Leg_Comp_Session_Per Diem_Mileage.pdf
http://www.usvifinance.info/html/Budget/FY 2016 Executive Budget.pdf
https://ballotpedia.org/Comparison_of_state_legislative_salaries

*I read that the governor did temporarily take away 3 holidays as "austerity measures" in 2016 and 2017. A step in the right direction!