• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 - present ] UVC The Villa Group-Villa La Valencia.newbie needing a bit of reassurance

DreeT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa Group- Villa Preferred Access- Villa La Valencia
A studio at any of the Villa Group resorts , even in winter season, has very little trading power in any of the exchange companies. RCI and II might accept a studio but the trading power would be very low until 60 - 45 days out. While it is my least favorite Villa resort, the Puerto Vallarta resort has the better trading power because PV is an international destination.

It may be that your VPA membership allows you to upgrade your studio unit to a one bed when available. Find out how long in advance you can upgrade. Gold members can upgrade at check in when an upgrade is available. I have upgraded my reservation at check in many times using a premiere membership, occasionally snagging a penthouse. Figure out how to use what you have.

Bill
Thanks Bill! I have learned so much from this forum. I appreciate your patience with me and all my pestering questions ;). I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize what I purchased. I love Mexico the most will come at least every other year. So with that being the plan, I am pretty confident I can make my points work for me (until my kids grow up and have kids!) I haven't been to any of the resorts other than touring the 3 in Cabo so I am excited to branch out and explore some other places. Its too bad that getting to Loreto seems like such a hassle. I have heard conflicting stories on getting there. I have heard it is a 4.5 hour drive from Cabo airport and then I have heard it is a 7.5 hour drive from Cabo airport. That seems like a haul, especially when one only has a week to 10 days for vacation :( If you have been to Loreto, have you found a way to get there that is easier?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA Cancun, VPA UVC, Elite Loreto
You bet, LAX has a direct 2hr flight there and back every sat, sun, Mon. Depending on season, other days too. I check flight availability prior to booking the resort.

February has great whale watching.

On interval, I use my villa points for villa trips. I maintain my interval membership not to exchange but rather take advantage of all the deals on excess inventory. In my state, there are many many deluxe resorts available often. I don't need exchange power for those deals.

On your original question to me. I like june. Rainy season hasn't hit yet to ruin excursions and water fun. The water is super clear early summer. My kids don't have school. Lastly, it's the least traveled month of the year for tourism so it's easier to do the free room upgrade. The downside is it is super hot in Mexico. I don't mind. Cancun is still low 90s which is cooler than where I live in June and it has the costal breeze and swimming pools; I don't have either.

FYI, your membership does have an upgrade option upon checking in, for free, if hotel is at a low capacity. Seems like 80% ish, don't quote me. Club reception is where I would bring it up upon check in. I received a room upgrade one time prior to elite, one bedroom to a 2bed.

Last edited:

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Like Cougar Country Clan we use our points to travel to the Villa Group resorts...we don’t exchange them so I’m not much help there. We have used our “preferred points” a couple of times for exchanges but were really only able to score other México resorts. We primarily use Interval for the Getaways. Have scored some nice Marriott resorts in the Caribbean and Southern California...usually shoulder season not prime time.

FWIW

bbb

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Like Cougar Country Clan we use our points to travel to the Villa Group resorts...we don’t exchange them so I’m not much help there. We have used our “preferred points” a couple of times for exchanges but were really only able to score other México resorts. We primarily use Interval for the Getaways. Have scored some nice Marriott resorts in the Caribbean and Southern California...usually shoulder season not prime time.

FWIW

bbb

I was wondering what size unit at what resort in a summer week seems to work for you to get a decent unit.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Bill! I have learned so much from this forum. I appreciate your patience with me and all my pestering questions ;). I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize what I purchased. I love Mexico the most will come at least every other year. So with that being the plan, I am pretty confident I can make my points work for me (until my kids grow up and have kids!) I haven't been to any of the resorts other than touring the 3 in Cabo so I am excited to branch out and explore some other places. Its too bad that getting to Loreto seems like such a hassle. I have heard conflicting stories on getting there. I have heard it is a 4.5 hour drive from Cabo airport and then I have heard it is a 7.5 hour drive from Cabo airport. That seems like a haul, especially when one only has a week to 10 days for vacation :( If you have been to Loreto, have you found a way to get there that is easier?

We drove from Loreto to Cabo and it takes about 5 1/2 hours by car. To the Cabo area airport it takes another 35 minutes. If you add in stops for sight seeing, lunch and breaks it does take longer. The drive is very easy. There is a toll road from La Paz to Cabo. It is a very scenic drive. We used Fox Car rental one way to SJD.

There is another route from La Paz to SJD that goes over the mountains that is really cool. The elevation changes create contrasting environments along the route.

It is a safe drive. The only odd thing is when driving through small cities there are stop lights and stop signs at the intersections. Even if the light is green you have to stop because there is a stop sign.

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
It’s been a few years...
Both times I called UVC told them what I wanted to do. They made a week 39 reservation for us for a 2 bedroom at VDP PV and deposited. The first time we got 2 bedroom at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun the week before Thanksgiving (this was before VDP Cancun was finished). The second time we got a 2 bedroom penthouse at Grand Solamar in Cabo (beautiful resort!). Again the week before Thanksgiving...which was nice as we had a big family gathering at Arco for Thanksgiving week.

On the II website you can dummy this up (not sure it will work on their app). Select a unit to exchange with dates...put a dummy 6 digit reservation code in the appropriate field. It works for some UVC resorts but not others. Just muck with it for a while ... it’s clunky. By changing dates and unit sizes you can get a sense for power of date/unit. Of course this only gets access to II’s current inventory. You can’t see units you might hit if you do the “deposit first” then hope/pray for a future match.

FWIW
bbb

DreeT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You bet, LAX has a direct 2hr flight there and back every sat, sun, Mon. Depending on season, other days too. I check flight availability prior to booking the resort.

February has great whale watching.

On interval, I use my villa points for villa trips. I maintain my interval membership not to exchange but rather take advantage of all the deals on excess inventory. In my state, there are many many deluxe resorts available often. I don't need exchange power for those deals.

On your original question to me. I like june. Rainy season hasn't hit yet to ruin excursions and water fun. The water is super clear early summer. My kids don't have school. Lastly, it's the least traveled month of the year for tourism so it's easier to do the free room upgrade. The downside is it is super hot in Mexico. I don't mind. Cancun is still low 90s which is cooler than where I live in June and it has the costal breeze and swimming pools; I don't have either.

FYI, your membership does have an upgrade option upon checking in, for free, if hotel is at a low capacity. Seems like 80% ish, don't quote me. Club reception is where I would bring it up upon check in. I received a room upgrade one time prior to elite, one bedroom to a 2bed.

Thanks you for all of this fabulous info! I'm considering getting an Alaskan credit card because they are the only airline that flies into Loreto at all and also for their companion fare deal. I looked online and from where I live they fly to all of the Mexican cities where the Villa resorts are. I have a feeling we are going to love Loreto a lot. We love the hum of Cabo but sometimes we really value our solitude and a slower pace. Plus, the recreational activities look amazing there (snorkeling,paddleboarding,hiking,etc)
It's also nice to know that I might be able to occasionally upgrade my room. I had no idea so thanks for letting me know :)

DreeT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We drove from Loreto to Cabo and it takes about 5 1/2 hours by car. To the Cabo area airport it takes another 35 minutes. If you add in stops for sight seeing, lunch and breaks it does take longer. The drive is very easy. There is a toll road from La Paz to Cabo. It is a very scenic drive. We used Fox Car rental one way to SJD.

There is another route from La Paz to SJD that goes over the mountains that is really cool. The elevation changes create contrasting environments along the route.

It is a safe drive. The only odd thing is when driving through small cities there are stop lights and stop signs at the intersections. Even if the light is green you have to stop because there is a stop sign.

Bill
This is great to know. There was so much conflicting info online. We would be renting a car at the airport and driving to LaPaz for maybe one night and then finishing the drive to Loreto the next day. 6 hours total really isn't too bad when you're on a scenic road that you've never driven before. I'm sure its a beautiful drive.
That's so strange about the stop light/stop sign thing. I guess you've got to be aware of these things or you might just blow through a green light that's really a stop sign and get pulled over. Hmmm. I think I heard somewhere that if you get a traffic ticket in Mexico, the policia can take your drivers license and then you have to come get it at the police station? Probably after you pay some fines or something? That seems like a really crummy way to start a vacation :( Thanks for the heads up!

Shawn Vierra

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa La Valencia
We are also new members of Villa La Valencia - we are excited to spend more time in Cabo especially at the new resort on the Gold Coast. I'll post some pics I got from Arturo today (taken last month). And post more next week when he said he would take pics on Monday for me. He said they think they will open reservations around the end of the year.
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.13.49 PM.png
IMG_0004.JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.12.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.11.50 PM.png

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question: did they give you a points chart for the new resort? I'm curious to see if the points to reserve/book are higher or similar to El Arco, Cancun, loreto. I'm hoping they are similar and not inflated.

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
They showed us a points chart for Valencia but did not give it to us. I meant to take a picture but after listening to the presentation we decided to just bolt and I forgot.

The points values for Valencia are NOT the same as the other resorts...they are significantly higher. I wish I could remember but I can't.

FWIW

bbb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. Once someone gets one, I'd love to see a picture of it.

stavolaj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa Group
Hi All! New to TUG. Cannot begin to tell you how much I wish I knew about this forum years ago! I have learned so much just joining (and reading) today! As for this thread, Just got back from Cabo last Sunday. Here is my understanding about Valencia; a) Valencia is part of a new group of resorts outside the "Villa" family of resorts, thus the different name with no "Villa" in it. B) "Villa" members will have access to the club at higher point requirement. The "benefit" to take the "workshop" was we would get one week to stay at Valencia at our current point value. Although sales said with an upgrade they "lock" you in on current points at Valencia. Now that I have said that, you should also know, I think I am horrible at this timeshare thing. I fell for "where you sign your agreement still does does matter" and after upgrading less than a year ago (at Flamingos to the points system) we upgraded again last week, again because we were told you do still have a "home" club and it moved to Flamingos. Being "Caboholics" my wife and I were afraid we would not be able to book at Cabo, so we upgraded again! ! Lastly, we were told Valenica is opening 2020, but reservations told me today they have no timeline on opening date, no points requirement information, or what size rooms will be available.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
. I have learned so much just joining (and reading) today! ....I think I am horrible at this timeshare thing. I fell for "where you sign your agreement still does does matter" and after upgrading less than a year ago (at Flamingos to the points system) we upgraded again last week, again because we were told you do still have a "home" club and it moved to Flamingos. Being "Caboholics" my wife and I were afraid we would not be able to book at Cabo, so we upgraded again! ! .......

Many TUG members bought as you have -
focus on learning how to better use what you already own & get maximum future vacation value .
TUG is a wonderful place for learning .

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with tdot. Learn about what you have and enjoy it. Given your story, I do suggest not going to the updates unless you have questions resortcom can't answer or want more points.

We are in vdp Cancun right now and we're lucky enough to get a manager yesterday, I had a list of questions regarding entity ownership. Very interesting to get that take as so much info is fluff these days mixed with sales. The manager (gave me about 95% truthful info during our meeting, so take it for what it's worth.) Said that Owen and Fernando are joint building Villa Valencia under the Villa corporation under the 50/50 ownership. How that is marketed... Who knows until booking windows open.

I've been told by two locations now that my points will work at Valencia. One was loreto (100% Owen's corporation). And one was Cancun (100% Fernando corporation). Truth be told, when it opens I will find out for sure. So many contracts say different things.

stavolaj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa Group
TDot & CCC, Thank you for the responses and information! CCC, I think I'll take your advice and hold off on presentations for a while! :) Very interesting to hear different presentations on the same subjects. I am actually very happy to hear you believe Valencia will be within the Villa group! I would assume that would mean easier access. Manta Rays were jumping last week in Cabo for their mating season! It was awesome! Someone earlier in the thread asked about a point chart for Valencia. I may have one, if I do, I will post a picture.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Manta Rays were jumping last week in Cabo for their mating season! It was awesome! Someone earlier in the thread asked about a point chart for Valencia. I may have one, if I do, I will post a picture.

I've only ever been to Cabo through the Villa group. My first time ever was in the June month. We had dinner upon arrival at the vdp Italian restaurant. I'll never forget that dinner as the rays jumped right off shore. Truly unforgettable. I still have the video my cell phone took.

edmund36

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...there is a feature that allows you to borrow from the back end of your contract called “senior acceleration”. It is available if written into your contract and you are over 50 (maybe 60?) years old.
It’s a nice way to leverage your points if you qualify.

The paid II membership is for one year. After that you must pay yourself.

bbb

I just purchased the Villa Preferred Access Points program. We are mainly interested in going to the Marriot’s and other preferred group listings. Will we be able to get into these resorts as the sales folks tell you? I’m hoping I didn’t get scammed? Please advise? Ed

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the Villa Preferred Access Points program. We are mainly interested in going to the Marriot’s and other preferred group listings. Will we be able to get into these resorts as the sales folks tell you? I’m hoping I didn’t get scammed? Please advise? Ed
I don't think you will have direct access to Marriott. You would need to trade through Interval International for that.
If you want Marriott you should consider purchasing a resale.

My advice would be to rescind if you still have time and then do some research into the different timeshare systems to see what would work best for you

edmund36

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes ill be going thru Interval international . Do you it will be easy to get into them?

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
Yes ill be going thru Interval international . Do you it will be easy to get into them?

Define easy.
Prime time Hawaii or St John or ski country? In Prime season?
Not likely!
Shoulder season? Orlando?
Maybe - depends on how flexible you are as to unit size and week.
Off season?
Almost anywhere.

If you want Marriott access you should buy a Marriott product. Owning UVC is not an easy backdoor into Marriott properties. Back during the Great Recession sure. But not now.

Good luck

bbb

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They showed us a points chart for Valencia but did not give it to us. I meant to take a picture but after listening to the presentation we decided to just bolt and I forgot.

The points values for Valencia are NOT the same as the other resorts...they are significantly higher. I wish I could remember but I can't.

FWIW

bbb

Here it is.

Bill

Rosirockful

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pueblo bonito rose
If I buy points on the secondary market, am I losing anything compared to points purchased from the Villa Group? Would the secondary market points be tradable on Interval International or RCI?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I buy points on the secondary market, am I losing anything compared to points purchased from the Villa Group? Would the secondary market points be tradable on Interval International or RCI?

Many points memberships revert to a premiere type membership with a home resort when sold resale. The problem is the resale point membership when sold resale retains the points maintenance fee but none of the advantages of the points. You would want to contact the seller to be certain that the points membership stays a point membership.

Bill

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
I am a VDP member and have two contracts . . . both 2550 club points + 2550 preferred points (preferred points are may - october). I paid about 40k for my first membership. I was willing to pay a little more because it has holiday week access. my second contract I bought through a reseller for basically nothing, and also got 2550 club points, holiday week access and 2550 preferred points. even had i not acquired the second timeshare for basically nothing, i would be perfectly happy . . . why? because i think it was a great deal.

Side note, your maintenance points are based off of the current rate (.48 per point) and the level of points. My advice, if you want to get more points, buy a contract from a third party. Depending on the contract you buy it will have different rights. I got lucky and my contract had nothing stripped from it, but most only give you club points. if you have two contracts, make sure that each one has enough points to do what you want because you can't combine points. but, you can book one week with one account, then book the following week with another account, so you can stay longer, it is just with two reservations.

I have zero regrets about VDP because in the 10 years of owning, i have never had a bad experience that was quickly corrected by the staff.

Last edited: