• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VAC/ILG shareholder activism speculation [THREAD CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also hope there will be no change after the merger but I know there will be and it is to the detriment of owners. I like what I own and I just do not want any sort of mingling of the programs. By co-mingling brands, that means everything will get more expensive for owners and new owners in order to pump the pockets of the corporation/private equity/significant shareholders.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I also hope there will be no change after the merger but I know there will be and it is to the detriment of owners. I like what I own and I just do not want any sort of mingling of the programs. By co-mingling brands, that means everything will get more expensive for owners and new owners in order to pump the pockets of the corporation/private equity/significant shareholders.
Any time there is consolidation in an industry, there is little benefit to the customers. Prices up and benefits down.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think this would be a non-event for us -- Having Marriott control ILG (and Starwood and Hyatt properties) is alot like Wyndham/RCI and Worldmark. There is some cross-pollination between the systems (that is "beneficial" but expensive).

With Worldmark, I could book Wyndham properties 9 months out -- but Wyndham owners get access 10 months out, so I get the leftovers. In a Marriott/ILG example, at 7 months out (which is an important date), I could internally trade my Marriott Shadow Ridge Week for a Harborside Resort at Atlantis (if HRA was available), and I would pay $99 for the trade. The problem is that 8 months out, HRA is available for other StarOptions trades, so there is little actually left at 7 months out to match the Marriott trade. Each system has it's own existing rules that complicate the ability to cross-pollinate.

I think this is about Marriott trying to diversify and find revenue sources that are less volatile than selling points. Exchange fees/rental revenues are more stable. Marriott probably has a bunch of weeks that they deposit into II and inefficiently monetize and that this is an opportunity to get $XXX in Getaway Revenue. Plus---- Wall Street likes activity, not complacency. We will see.

But I do not think we will see any real positive or negative.

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Any time there is consolidation in an industry, there is little benefit to the customers. Prices up and benefits down.

True in many cases, but not all. One example is banking - an industry in which I spent over 20 years and was involved in many mergers. When I first started in that business, banks could not operate branches and ATMs across state lines from the state in which they were headquartered. As a result, we had a lot of small to medium sized banks in the US. The industry was very fractured. When those laws changed, allowing banks to grow, merge, and expand nationally, consumers and businesses both benefitted in many ways.

For example, In the last week I've been at home in NC, in Florida on business, and now in SC on vacation. My bank has branches and ATMs in all three places (as well as most other key destinations in the US). I can use their ATMs without paying fees and can use a branch if I need to when traveling. When my son moved to a new state for college and his first job, he didn't have to set up a new bank account. He could stay with the same bank. Back in 1980 when I first entered banking, that would have all been impossible.

Business has also benefitted, because when I started in banking, virtually all of the top banks in the world were based in Europe, Japan, or China. Because of the old restrictions that kept US banks small by comparison, larger companies had to deal with different banks in every state in which they operated and the credit needs of the largest companies could not be handled by a single US bank. US banks had to put together consortiums of US and foreign banks to provide the credit larger companies needed. Now, with bigger US banks, our banks can meet the needs of more big companies.

Obviously, there have also been negatives to consolidation - "too big to fail" is the most notable - but those are more artifacts of the regulatory environment not changing as the size and complexity of the banks changed. The regulatory infrastructure was still oriented toward smaller, less systemically risky institutions, so the financial crisis of 2008 helped teach us that the regulations and oversight needed to evolve as the banks grew.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There seem to be an awful lot of folks commenting who see only bad things from a potential merger of ILG and VAC. Reminds me of all the doomsday predictions when VAC was spun off from Marriott International. Some of us who saw that spin-off as a real opportunity were ridiculed, but now I think the benefits are obvious. Could be the same thing here, although I am not smart enough to have a solid opinion on this one.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Maybe ILG would be the ones calling the shots. We really do not know.
What I know is that if MVC allows Hyatt and Vistana owners to book Marriott inventory at X months like Wyndham/Worldmark/Shell program, I would not be too happy as a Presidential member as the 60-day inventory will be reduced.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
This would be an interesting merger if, and it sounds like a big if, it comes to be. I would love to see the Hyatt’s in Key West and Sedona avaiable for internal weeks exchange or points reservations

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I'm already calling Hyatt and Vistana for reservations. LET ME IN!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I don't know enough about the other companies products, but wonder if (like the hotel rewards programs) there will be a way to integrate the owners of the varied timeshares into the DC points program or if they will have to remain distinctly separate for booking/usage despite having a singular owner (were MVCI to acquire them)?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If you want to get to the substantive portion of the video, skip to the 20:00 mark and start there. David Flueck begins speaking right after.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When diamond bought a TS company I owned l believe you had to enroll in their program or just stay the same. I never was interested so I don’t know the details but kind of like Marriott did with the points program. So I suspect they would have to establish a new bucket to hold points/inventory. I wonder what that would cost to gain access?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I think the appeal is combining the Marriott Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, and Sheraton Vacation Club under the same corporate umbrella. All three of those brands are now owned by MAR, so after a merger, VAC would control all the Marriott-owned timeshare brands. Who knows, they might even sell or spin-off the exchange business after a merger.

That's precisely what a VAC salesman told me yesterday during our update...bring the TS brands together, but not keep the exchange business. Time will tell if his lips were moving.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
deleted - this info in another thread.

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Moderator does not merge the REAL news of today's acquisition of ILG by MVW, vs the speculation contained in this thread.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.