• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Resort International

bigfrank

TUG Member
Reaction score
GrayFal said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Note that you really need a red VRI week to maximize your VRI priority. It can be a pink-red week, but it should be a red week.

So, if I have a blue VRI week .... the red and white owners have priority over me BUT I still have priority over non-VRI owners within the 30 day window???
Is that correct?

I have had a blue week and it's worked for me. I also got the reduced exchange fees and 3for 2 Rci membership discount.

bigfrank1.jpg

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
GrayFal said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Note that you really need a red VRI week to maximize your VRI priority. It can be a pink-red week, but it should be a red week.

So, if I have a blue VRI week .... the red and white owners have priority over me BUT I still have priority over non-VRI owners within the 30 day window???
Is that correct?

Pat,

I just know that while all VRI weeks get a preference, there is definitely a priority in terms of the color of your week. I don't believe that you necessarily have priority over all non-VRI owners if RCI determines that you do not have enough trade power to obtain the week. This might be a good question for "Madge." There was one time that I saw a VRI week on-line with my Aqua week, but not my red VRI studio. I also know of owners who own both red and white/or blue VRI weeks and they have noted the differences between the weeks.

Also, like Frank, I have taken advantage of the 3 years for the price of 2 membership fee as well as reduced exchange fees.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Way back when we first acquired our VRI week, I called the VRI number at RCI to talk about how the trade preference worked - specifically, whether any VRI week could pick up any other VRI, regardless of trade power.

FWIW - the rep told me that my week still had to have the required trade power for the exchange. Thus, the effect of the trade preference is to allow VRI owners to "cut in" ahead of non-VRI owners during the 30-day period after a week is deposited.

========

Returning to the topic of whether there is a VRI trade preference for the former VI prooperties.

A couple of days ago I received a mailing from RCI to VRI owners talking about VRI preferences and benefits within RCI. The document carried a 2005 copyright, and listed all VRI resorts. The listing did not include any of the former VI properties.

Previously I questioned PA's assertions that the preference did not include the former VI properties. With further reflection I was reconsidering that, and after this mailing I"m even more doubtful of my previous statements - i.e, now I'm inclined to agree with PA.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve,

I noticed the same thing and posted about it. I think PA may be correct too.

DMS

Reaction score
VRI no longer exchanges through themselves...

I own @ The Resort on Cocoa Beach, and have my week reserved for this fall. I allowed my "gratis" RCI membership to lapse, and will do the same with my ICE membership. I recently inquired through the VRI Central Reservations Office if they offer an "intra-VRI" exchange program, and they do not. Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
VRI eliminated their internal exchange program years ago. We purchased at Winners Circle in 1999, and the VRI internal exchange program was gone then.

The internal trade program was replaced by the VRI Preference program within RCI, which includes the intra-VRI trade preference, the reduced exchange fee for intra-VRI trades, and the reduced cost of RCI membership for VRI members (three years for the price of two years).

One or two VRI resorts that were not affiliated with RCI were stranded by this change in the program. The VRI resort on Nantucket was one of them - after the RCI program was set up those owners lost the ability to participate in VRI trade preferences