• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Valdoro ROFR?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am being told by the seller / transfer company that HGVC has exercised ROFR on the Valdoro property I just purchased. This is odd for two reasons, the first is I have read here on TUG that ROFR is not exercised on Valdoro. Second, it states "THIS PROPERTY NOT SUBJECT TO ROFR" on the estoppel. The person I spoke with at HGVC said she cannot tell me anything about the account because my name is not on it. Any suggestions?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I would ask the closing company about the statement on the estoppel.

In the meanwhile, I searched the forum and came across these two threads
  1. From https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-resorts-that-do-not-have-rofr.265920/
    • From TUG MEMBER:Remy in December 2017 Valdoro has ROFR through the developer rather than HGVC. Not exercised in modern history, but the formality in the purchase process is there. It is not 100% HGVC. It is possible for the board to disassociate.”
  2. From https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/valdoro-rofr-question.273278/
    • From TUG MEMBER:Talent312 in April 2018Take anything you read on TUG with a grain of salt. While we try to be accurate, some info is half-baked.
      I'd contact Valdoro's on-site resale agent:
      Duncan Newland, Managing Broker at 970-547-4071
      <or> HGVC's title service office: 877-764-4482.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask the closing company about the statement on the estoppel.

In the meanwhile, I searched the forum and came across these two threads
  1. From https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-resorts-that-do-not-have-rofr.265920/
    • From TUG MEMBER:Remy in December 2017 Valdoro has ROFR through the developer rather than HGVC. Not exercised in modern history, but the formality in the purchase process is there. It is not 100% HGVC. It is possible for the board to disassociate.”
  2. From https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/valdoro-rofr-question.273278/
    • From TUG MEMBER:Talent312 in April 2018Take anything you read on TUG with a grain of salt. While we try to be accurate, some info is half-baked.
      I'd contact Valdoro's on-site resale agent:
      Duncan Newland, Managing Broker at 970-547-4071
      <or> HGVC's title service office: 877-764-4482.

I did ask about it, and was told they would have to ask a different department (titles?) and will call me back.

Thanks for the links.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I did ask about it, and was told they would have to ask a different department (titles?) and will call me back.

Any updates to report?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any updates to report?

I spoke with Duncan (re alwaysonvac post above). He was awesome. Told me to tell them they are full of something I can't post here. I have left a couple of messages with the seller/closing co, no calls returned as of right now. I received a text message this morning stating I need to set something up (from a company with a different name than the original company I have been dealing with). When I click on the embedded link, I get a fail to load due to the server not responding message. I have not had enough time today to follow up or annoy the seller with another call. So, as of right now, dead in the water. On the plus side, the seller already refunded our money, so mostly a waste of time at this point. That being said, we would still rather have the timeshare than the money we paid for it.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Sorry to hear that, Sapper. Sounds like they wanted to back out after the contract was signed. Hopefully, you can find another one.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect either the broker/closing company did not actually have the property ready to sell or they just plain wanted a higher price. Quite disingenuous to use ROFR as the reason to dissolve the agreement, if there was none.

Would you mind sharing where you found the listing and who the seller/broker/closing company was?

Glad to hear you at least got your money back.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I followed up with the company who texted me. Turns out that was for a Hyatt I purchased two years ago. Their system was doing something weird. So, nothing to do with the Valdoro property.

I finally spoke with the guy from the selling/title co, he says they have not heard back from HGVC as to why ROFR was exercised. He said that he will have someone in deeds follow up as to why. I mentioned that it might be at a stop due to half the maintenance fee being due on July 1 (Valdoro splits their fee into two fees per year from what I understand). He said that is a possibility, but if that were true, then why did they come back as ROFR. I then said that I spoke with the developer representative, who said they did not exercise ROFR. He then said "well, I don't know what to tell you. I can have some one in deeds follow up with another call".

I don't know. Either they are being honest with me, and the paperwork is just really messed up. Or, they either didn't have it or did not like the sales price. Either way, it might be time to cut bait and find another one.

Hi Seagila. I found the listing on flEabay. The seller is "thetransfergroup". While their communication has been poor, and there may or may not be something sketchy going on with this deal, the fact is they returned my money with out me having to fight them for it. So some bad and some good.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It'd be interesting to see if a deed for the unit is recorded
which shows another buyer or HGVC as the Grantee
(that can be checked at the county's public records' office)
... or if they brazenly relist the unit.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
It'd be interesting to see if --
the seller records a deed to another buyer or to HGVC
(which can be checked at the county's public records' office)
... or simply relists the unit.

Is there a way to check that online?

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
Hi Seagila. I found the listing on flEabay. The seller is "thetransfergroup". While their communication has been poor, and there may or may not be something sketchy going on with this deal, the fact is they returned my money with out me having to fight them for it. So some bad and some good.

If you were dealing with thetransfergroup, I would be very suspicious. I purchased from them and the Starwood timeshare was supposed to come with the 2018 use year and it did not. I was supposed to get a $250 Visa card on closing and I did not. Now the seller will not communicate with me. Wish I knew how to contact eBay about this. They were so slow to close. Now I am stuck.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were dealing with thetransfergroup, I would be very suspicious. I purchased from them and the Starwood timeshare was supposed to come with the 2018 use year and it did not. I was supposed to get a $250 Visa card on closing and I did not. Now the seller will not communicate with me. Wish I knew how to contact eBay about this. They were so slow to close. Now I am stuck.
Depending on your contract with them on purchase (which should have spelled everything out) and the money involved.. you could sue for breach of contract. . Buying on ebay has risks which is why it is cheaper than buying elsewhere. . Personally if it is more money than I am willing to lose I wouldn't bid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

At this point they don't want to talk with me. When I get transferred over to whomever is (NOT)dealing with it, I get a voice mail. I leave a message, and they never return my calls.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on your contract with them on purchase (which should have spelled everything out) and the money involved.. you could sue for breach of contract. . Buying on ebay has risks which is why it is cheaper than buying elsewhere. . Personally if it is more money than I am willing to lose I wouldn't bid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The plus side is they did return my money. This situation could have been much worse (ie, had they not returned my money). I figure trying to sue them would be sending good money after bad. I'm not sure it would get me anywhere. I can also see a judge saying I am not really out anything because they returned funds. IF I were to try the lawsuit route, I would find another identical sale, purchase it, then sue for the difference in cost between the two. At that point I could show injury through the difference in price. Again, probably good money down the drain. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm probably missing some fine point somewhere... but in the end, I'm not going to sue them. You are correct, eBay carries additional risk, which is why units tend to go for less money on there. We had a good experience with our first purchase using seans0302, so I figured it was worth a shot on this one.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
The plus side is they did return my money. This situation could have been much worse (ie, had they not returned my money). I figure trying to sue them would be sending good money after bad. I'm not sure it would get me anywhere. I can also see a judge saying I am not really out anything because they returned funds. IF I were to try the lawsuit route, I would find another identical sale, purchase it, then sue for the difference in cost between the two. At that point I could show injury through the difference in price. Again, probably good money down the drain. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm probably missing some fine point somewhere... but in the end, I'm not going to sue them. You are correct, eBay carries additional risk, which is why units tend to go for less money on there. We had a good experience with our first purchase using seans0302, so I figured it was worth a shot on this one.

I would have been happy if they would have refunded my money and taken the timeshare back. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with Seans0302 also. These are the only two out of over 30 purchases on eBay.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have been happy if they would have refunded my money and taken the timeshare back. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with Seans0302 also. These are the only two out of over 30 purchases on eBay.

Sorry you had a bad experience with him, he was good for us. I guess this just shows that eBay IS very hit and miss. 30 deals is a lot of timeshares! Who were the best folks you have dealt with on eBay?

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
I have given away over half of those timeshares and purchased some outside of eBay. My last purchase was with Eric at Go Properties Services LLC. It was very quick and smooth.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have given away over half of those timeshares and purchased some outside of eBay. My last purchase was with Eric at Go Properties Services LLC. It was very quick and smooth.

Thanks. What was their eBay name?

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
Timesharepro2. I have also had good luck with many other sellers on eBay, most of them are honest. If I had received current estopples I would not have had any problems. The one I received from thetransfergroup was not current and they would not honor the contract.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timesharepro2. I have also had good luck with many other sellers on eBay, most of them are honest. If I had received current estopples I would not have had any problems. The one I received from thetransfergroup was not current and they would not honor the contract.

Thanks, I'll look them up.

The one I did with seans0302 I was too new to understand what to ask for, and he really did take the time to help me through the process.

The one with thetransfergroup, I had to hound them for the estoppel, but I did receive it, and I called HGVC, and they verified everything on it. My problem with them is they failed to complete the transaction, and when things went sideways, they lied to me... when I caught them in the lie, they just stopped returning my calls. I'll avoid them in the future, and hope others do as well.

Maybe we should start a list of sorts on here where people can vote (poll?) for which ebay sellers are trusted and good vs not great to outright scam. My only problem with that is how diverse the experiences of people on here with sellers may be. A good example is our two very different experiences with seans0302.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I had problems with TheTransferGroup as well.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Did you have the problem that what they advertised was not what you got?

No. They just screwed up their processing. I was buying a small number of Shell Vacation Club (SVC) points. I did all the paperwork they sent me. Months later they called me because it had been so long and said they checked with Shell and I hadn't returned some paperwork sent to me by Shell. After calls back and forth it turned out that the paperwork came from The Transfer Group - not SVC and that it (the completed form) had been sitting in a file at The Transfer Group.

A few months later, they called and told me the same thing again (I hadn't returned paperwork from Shell). After about 8 months or so they said they had to resubmit the paperwork to SVC. I asked why. They eventually admitted that they didn't process it correctly.

Then they stopped returning my calls. I eventually got ahold of someone by pretending not to be me. At that point I told them to forget about it.